Gibson Brands Forums

End of the world - what would you be playing?

Sean.BB

"Eve of Destruction" - Barry McGuire

"We Gotta Get Out Of This Place" - Animals

"Knockin' on Heven's Door" - Bob Dylan

"Lucy in the Sky" - Beatles

Actually, I'll move to Cleveland Ohio, since everything happens there 10 years late, (with apologies to Mark Twain)

But I'm not worried, the French have a reputation for cooking things just right. Of course there is a huge US investment in that collider, so I suppose there is still a chance it will get overcooked.

Notes :-$

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All things must pass - Harrison

The thrill is gone - B.B King

Sitting on top of the world - cream ( live goodbye version)

and just to kill some time... voodoo chile..... ( the long verson' date=' screw the slight return at that point!)[/quote']

Sorry, i know i only read that it was over swiss

i only listened to the thrill is gone for the first time, where have i been.

I'm Going Home (Ten Years After)

Over' date=' Under, Sideways, Down (Yardbirds)

Last Time (Stones)

Mr. Spaceman (Byrds)

My Sweet Lord (George Harrison)

Imagine & #9 Dream (John Lennon)

On and on...

CB

[/quote']

Charlie Brown, those are some good ones, but being the Beatles fan that you are I thought you might

add in "The End" off of Abbey Road. "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

Geez, there are so many good tunes out there to play and who really knows which song or which guitar

you'd play when the moment hits you. Just as long as when you play your last note/chord you hear the words,

"Well done good and faithful servant. Come and share your Master's happiness." said by Jesus =D> , and not

"Please to meet you. Hope you guess my name. Ah, what's puzzling you is the nature of my game." by

his adversary.:)

Charlie Brown' date=' those are some good ones, but being the Beatles fan that you are I thought you might

add in "The End" off of Abbey Road. "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

Geez, there are so many good tunes out there to play and who really knows which song or which guitar

you'd play when the moment hits you. Just as long as when you play your last note/chord you hear the words,

"Well done good and faithful servant. Come and share your Master's happiness." said by Jesus =D> , and not

"Please to meet you. Hope you guess my name. Ah, what's puzzling you is the nature of my game." by

his adversary.:) [/quote']

Well Paul....there are so MANY "Beatles" songs...I could "go out," just playing them...and I'd

be just fine!! Too bad, though, that more folks don't take to heart, that set of lyrics, you just

quoted. "Isn't It A Pity!" (Another Great song, IMHO)

CB

Well Paul....there are so MANY "Beatles" songs...I could "go out' date='" just playing them...and I'd

be just fine!! Too bad, though, that more folks don't take to heart, that set of lyrics, you just

quoted. "Isn't It A Pity!" (Another Great song, IMHO)

CB[/quote']

You just brought back to mind another great George Harrison tune there, CB. Speaking of George, I know

he was always looking for the truth. That's what made a lot of his material so universal in that most of mankind

is searching for what the true meaning of life is. Remember "Within You, Without You"...When you've seen

beyond youself then you will find peace of mind is waiting there. And the time will come when you'll see we're all

one." I have a feeling when George met his maker he said, "George, I'm the One you've been searching for all

these years."..."I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life." Then George would say as he always truly wanted,

"My Lord and my God."[-o<

Could be...just hope he's at Peace, whatever the case may be. I always liked George's songs...

even from the beginning. "Don't Bother Me," was my song, in Jr. High School! LOL!! And,

they just kept getting better and better. The "Concert for George" and later DVD, was such a blessing,

and a wonderful reminder, of what beautiful material George was responsible for. I liked

his "cheek" too...and sarcasm. They were ALL irreverent, witty, and funny...but they ALL had

BIG hearts, too! You feel that, even now!

Well...back to "The End!" LOL!

CB

Could be...just hope he's at Peace' date=' whatever the case may be. I always liked George's songs...

even from the beginning. "Don't Bother Me," was my song, in Jr. High School! LOL!! And,

they just kept getting better and better. The "Concert for George" and later DVD, was such a blessing,

and a wonderful reminder, of what beautiful material George was responsible for. I liked

his "cheek" too...and sarcasm. They were ALL irreverent, witty, and funny...but they ALL had

BIG hearts, too! You feel that, even now!

Well...back to "The End!" LOL!

CB [/quote']

true that

beatlestogetheragain8il.jpg

What better time to play Tom Lehrer's immortal "We Will All Go Together (When We Go)"

To wit:

Every time you're at a funeral,

It is sad to think that sooner or

Later those you love will do the same for you.

And you may have thought it tragic,

Not to mention other adjec-

Tives, to think of all the weeping they will do.

But don't you worry.

No more ashes, no more sackcloth.

And an armband made of black cloth

Will some day never more adorn a sleeve.

For if the bomb that drops on you

Gets your friends and neighbors too,

There'll be nobody left behind to grieve.

And we will all go together when we go.

What a comforting fact that is to know.

Universal bereavement,

An inspiring achievement,

Yes, we all will go together when we go.

We will all go together when we go.

All suffused with an incandescent glow.

No one will have the endurance

To collect on his insurance,

Lloyd's of London will be loaded when they go.

Oh we will all fry together when we fry.

We'll be french fried potatoes by and by.

There will be no more misery

When the world is our rotisserie,

Yes, we will all fry together when we fry.

Down by the old maelstrom,

There'll be a storm before the calm.

And we will all bake together when we bake.

There'll be nobody present at the wake.

With complete participation

In that grand incineration,

Nearly three billion hunks of well-done steak.

(Editor's note: when Tom wrote this song in the mid-60's, the world population was only around 3 billion)

Oh we will all char together when we char.

And let there be no moaning of the bar.

Just sing out a Te Deum

When you see that I.C.B.M.,

And the party will be "come as you are."

Oh we will all burn together when we burn.

There'll be no need to stand and wait your turn.

When it's time for the fallout

And Saint Peter calls us all out,

We'll just drop our agendas and adjourn.

You will all go directly to your respective Valhallas.

Go directly, do not pass Go, do not collect two hundred dolla's.

And we will all go together when we go.

Every Hottentot and every Eskimo.

When the air becomes uranious,

We will all go simultaneous.

Yes we all will go together

When we all go together,

Yes we all will go together when we go.

How do these guys, like him and Dylan, that write these very LONG songs, remember all those words!

LOL! I'm always amazed...guess that's why I'll never be much of a "singer!" Two or three verses, and

a chorus...I"m good to go, but after that...CRS!

I can Write stuff like that, no problem...but remembering them, is another matter.

CB

He also said that you won't have time to go into your house and get your guitar.

Well IF it is going to happen someday' date=' should you worry about it and stop playing

your guitar(s)? Nuclear blast shockwaves take time to travel. I'm not sure if they travel

at the speed of sound...maybe slower..but they do a pretty good job on any guitars you

may have in the house., so whether you manage to get your guitar and strum a chord or

two before the "big bang" happens...it's pretty much irrelevant, I would say..the result

is the same..you and everyone else is toast, and so are all those precious guitars.

As for the alternate "eve of destruction" (who sang that? Barry "somebody"), the only

thing we need to worry is a huge meteor or an asteroid..if that collides with the earth/ocean

not only would most of the world be swept away by a tidal wave of immense proportions...

but there would be millions of guitars floating around and if you can find enough materials

to lash a raft together, you could entertain people crying for help while you drift by

playing yer Epiphone acoustic....and use your Les Pauls for paddles..because that's about

all they will be good for without electricity. :-({|=

EDIT: [b']9/11 [/b] Since this is the 7th anniversary of that fateful day for America and a

day that will live in infamy in our modern times...I thought that this song by

Barry McGuire and written before the events of 9/11 might fit the theme of this thread...

"Eve of Destruction"..(......there are more verses)

The eastern world, it is exploding

Violence flarin’, bullets loadin’

You’re old enough to kill, but not for votin’

You don’t believe in war, but what’s that gun you’re totin’

And even the Jordan River has bodies floatin’

But you tell me

Over and over and over again, my friend

Ah, you don’t believe

We’re on the eve

of destruction.

Don’t you understand what I’m tryin’ to say

Can’t you feel the fears I’m feelin’ today?

If the button is pushed, there’s no runnin’ away

There’ll be no one to save, with the world in a grave

[Take a look around ya boy, it's bound to scare ya boy]

And you tell me

Over and over and over again, my friend

Ah, you don’t believe

We’re on the eve

of destruction.

"In League with Satan" might be a good tune to finish up with, since I don't believe in Mr. S anyway.

But even better would be something like "Valhalla" ! Now those old Germanic Gods really knew how to end a world in style, and have a great after-party too!

~D.

Archived