Gibson Brands Forums

What do you like better, LP or SG?

Guitar Chico

It's close...I don't dislike Les Pauls at all.

But as my fav. guitar is an SG, and Les Pauls hurt my back- (though are otherwise great!)

....I likewise voted for SG

Also, I've owned them in a 5:1 ratio (SG to Paul...but the Paul is "better" than all of them but the Classic...so does that nullify the quantity?)

That probably speaks for itself. I can only *just* choose. Tough one.

No' date=' not a Mormon...

I couldn't decide which one I love the most, even back in the '60's....when I was playing

both, ALL the time!

How could I possibly make that decision, now?! LOL!

I have a similar problem, between my Strat's and Tele's, too!

CB[/quote']

I guess if we could just love one....we wouldn't keep getting new ones.

I'll toss the first LP vote in. One word: LOOKS.

Just can't imagine no LP in rock-n-roll history..., but for SG only associate one player - Angus. Personally don't like the longer scale neck for playability. Both are great guitars.

Don't kid yourself: this poll won't "settle anything." (...but we'll see who favors what this week)

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on

Hey, I voted for the LP. Mostly because you can get them in so many different finishes and colors-(variety is the spice of life!). However, I do own a couple of SGs and if you really need to get at the upper frets they are definitely the way to go. Maybe if I could find an SG in a blue birdseye I would change my vote!?!?!?

Voted LP I just never got into the SG type guitar...had found a heck of a deal on a Gibby SG, but when I picked it up nearly tossed it over my head...and then the neck dive when I tried playing it, wasn't for me. I do like the DC LPs tho...go figure. and YES Ricochet...we are all weirdos on here! :-$

Capt

It's close...I don't dislike Les Pauls at all.

But as my fav. guitar is an SG' date=' and Les Pauls hurt my back- (though are otherwise great!)

....I likewise voted for SG

Also, I've owned them in a 5:1 ratio (SG to Paul...but the Paul is "better" than all of them but the Classic...so does that nullify the quantity?)

That probably speaks for itself. I can only *just* choose. Tough one.

[/quote']

Never owned a twin horn SG.

Les Paul didn't seem to like them either. Said " look at those sharp pointed horns..

a person could get hurt if you hit one of them"...anyway, for a while back in the

50s, they were actually called Les Pauls as well..it's when Les wanted his name

removed from them (nameplate in the space between the neck p_up and the

end of the fingerboard), that Gibson changed it to SG. However, they still advertised

it for a while as a "Les Paul"..maybe because they had too many catalogs printed up

before hand. ..so much for historic trivia..which I got from the "early years of the

Les Paul" book.

I think both instruments are unique and have their merits. For the shredders that

like to play to the end of the fingerboard, the DC SG is the best for them, not to

mention the lower weight 8-8.5 lbs, as compared to the older LPs that can weigh

as much a 10lbs or even more...but..there is something to be said about a

carved archtop LP..they are very unique in the solid body world. Gibson (Ted McCarty)

wanted a carved top to compete with Leo Fender's "plank"(Telecaster)...because Orville Gibson

started out making arch top violins, mandolins and that's the way Gibson had always

done that.

Of course later on they came out with their own "flat planks", Flying Vs, Explorers,

Firebirds, Thunderbird bass and maybe some other models as well.

Epiphone (made by Gibson at that point had a few of their own "flat" guitar models as well.

Then they introduced radical styled ones... (the Moderne) which really didn't take off

maybe it was too much ahead of it's time in styling dept.

It probably would go good now inthese modern times..but back then......

not too many accepted it because of the unique styling.

I like them both .... a friend of mine has a Gibby SG - it's a really nice guitar, without a doubt. I just happen to prefer the LP....just "feels" right to me. Might feel even more right if I could afford a Gibby LP, but, hey - my Epi LP does it for me :-$

Archived