Gibson Brands Forums

J L Hooker Sheraton-Real or hoax

Peterpuck

I was surfing eBay looking for something new to cure my latest case of GAS when I came across a listing for a supposed Epiphone J L Hooker Sheraton in a Sunburst finish that got my attention. I had only seen a couple of these before and they had always been in Black so I was curious. As I read the ad, the seller said that the pick guard did not have the JLH signature and the truss rod cover didn't either. Because it was an overrun, the serial number was not on the headstock s/n would have been on the paper insert inside the f-hole. When I asked him if there was a "boogieman" inlay at the 12th fret, he said no. The guitar also had mini-hummers and the previous ones I had seen had full sized buckers. Seemed like he was trying to sell his Sheraton 2 for twice its value. Anybody else see this listing?

Well, MF blew out some "Assembled in USA" Sheraton guitars a couple of year ago, that were the

JLH version (serial number wise), but didn't have his signature pickguard or TRC! But, they were/are

great guitars, if that's what it really is? Ask him if it has a "Assembled in USA" sticker on the back of

the headstock? IF so, what that means is, it's really an "Elitist" made in Japan (body and neck) but

all the painting (Nitro) was done here, and the parts are all USA...pickups, bridge, tailpiece, switches, pots, etc.

Also, one dead giveaway is the headstock. I looks more like an Elitist version, than the standard Korean one,

but is a bit wider at the top, than the Elitist. Like the original "Kalamazoo" USA versions were. Hope that helps?

CB

Thanks for the info Charlie Brown. It does have the assembled in USA sticker and he says it has the nitro finish and is not Korean "junk"-(his words). He also says it was purchased by a Gibson employee in Nashville and he has the documentation to prove it.

I think it was supposed to have a bone nut but mine is plastic.

Well, his opinion of the Korean Sheraton guitars is NOT shared by most folks here. So, I'd take

that statement with a "grain," you know? But, there IS a difference, for sure. The Elitist and AIUSA

versions are much more like the original "Kalamazoo" Epi Sheratons. The USA being the closest...

with the Nitro finish, and the "dead on correct" headstock. The Korean versions are more like an

upscale "Dot," or generic 335 style. The USA/Elitist have more pointed, and a bit smaller upper bout

"horns," as did the originals. The Korean versions are still Great guitars! No doubt, there.

I noticed, on the "Musician's Friend" web-site (recently), that they are using a photo of the AIUSA version, with the wider (at the top) headstock, intead of the actual "Elitist" version. It's really a minor difference, and doesn't effect quality or playability, at all...

Some may actually prefer the bit narrower "Elitist" version. It's just interesting, that MF would do that.

Makes me wonder, too...if the later "Elitist" versions went to the more "Vintage correct" headstock,

as well? Anyone know?

CB

The black Sheraton you're describing is the Limited Edition John Lee Hooker, one of which I own. Only 220 were made, as opposed to the "regular" JLH Sheratons. which I think are still in production. Here's a photo of mine on photobucket.

new005.jpg

The tremolo is a Stetsbar added by me, as well as the tone and volume knobs i stole off an old radio. The original knobs were gold Gibson speed knobs.

Archived