Gibson Brands Forums

BC30 & Tubes

MikeRom

I'm still running the stock tubes (I know, I've been lazy). The hiss coming outta this thing is really getting irritating. When you guys re-tube, which have you replaced, all of them or just a select few? I'm thinking power tubes for sure and maybe the pre amp tubes ... what part of the circuit is the 5ar4 tube in (I can't seem to locate the schematic I had) and would it contribute to hiss in the signal chain? Final question, which brand of tubes would you recommend? I'm kinda torn between the JJ's and EH's.

I just replaced the power and rectifier tubes - no noticeable hiss (well nothing audible over the fan noise!)

I replaced the power tubes with a pair of NOS early manufacture RCA 6L6 Blackplates and the rectifier with a NOS Mullard black base (4 notch) GZ34.

Sounds amazing

From what I've read on theTubeStore's web sight, the EH's are supposed to have similar construction as the blackplates so maybe those are the way to go. And the hiss is definitly drowning out the fan noise and between the two, i'd rather hear the fan ... #-o

I'll add the rectifier tube to my list as well. Anything else ?

I'm reasonably happy with the stock preamp tubes and it's the breakup of the power valves that has the greatest effect on the sound once you start cranking things up so I'm not desperate to change them. Plan is to find some NOS Mullards or Telefunkens at sane (i.e radio enthusiast) rather than the sort of "... I'd expect them to be delivered on a silk cushion by a pair of oiled nubians and fitted by specially trained hummingbirds for that! ..." prices being charged on guitar amp sites.

Archived