Gibson Brands Forums

Octal mod w/PCB

m-theory

Gil answered your question a few posts back dude......

Lordy, I never would've guessed that getting a series number on that fuse would be so difficult! Actually, what Gil provided was the rating, which I already knew.

2A fuses are for 220vAC mains. 1A fuses are for 120vAC mains. The 4A fuses for heaters apply to everyone.

What Eracer has provided is the color of the case for the heater fuse, which I didn't need, and the location of the mains fuse, which I already knew.

the white plastic tubes are easy to spot and yes they are a bit smaller size bus fus.

the other one is in a tray just below your power cord in the back.

I'll try once again...

I am looking for the specific fuse TYPE for the main power fuse. I don't need to know where it's located, nor do I need to know what the rating is. I've got those covered. What I'm looking for is an actual series, as in "GMA,' MDL," "ADC," or whatever it is. Perhaps, the problem is that nobody has ever had to actually purchase one of these things, so nobody really knows what it actually is?

Imagine that you were in an auto parts store and you were looking up a part number for something...THAT'S what I need. Pretend that this fuse is an oil filter and that it has a specific number (which is DOES, of course). I need that number.

Here's my original question:

What is the main fuse on this thing, btw? I blew through the two that came with it, but can't seem to identify it, other than 1A slow blow. Is it an MDL?

Is there some way that I could've made clearer what I was looking for?

right on the bank of my amp it says uses T2AL 250volt (that is your 'mains' fuses).

I opened up my little tray and it says right on it T2AL 250v and they even give you a spare one in the tray; unless you've used it up already.

they are 20mm glass bus fuses.

I tried to find a mouser.com part number for you but you have to be part rocket scientist to work with mouser

There we go! Thanks! I did' date=' in fact, chew through both stock fuses. [/quote']

Well the info you so rudely asked for was right on the ends of both fuses...and that may be why we all thought it was obvious! =D> There are so many questions asked about fuse type location etc..etc..that it get's pretty old especially when you consider that the heater fuse is not needed and the other fuses in the holders can be eliminated completely. You really only need the mains fuse in a valve jr and why not make it a standard size fuse if you are doing any sort of heavy mods?

Well sometimes the forest can't be seen from the trees.

On my bone stock VJ that I have for a reference that came from a Guitar Center in Buffalo NY (and not the UK) the silk screen graphics is quite in plain view next to the don't open this warning.

Fuses: T2AL 250v

(not sure where gil got the 1amp thing from but not for me to ask.)

Well the info you so rudely asked for was right on the ends of both fuses...and that may be why we all thought it was obvious!

Rudely? I didn't get frustrated until I'd asked very clearly, numerous times and then was told that I'd already gotten the answer, when it was clear that I had not.

As for the markings, my fuses BOTH said 1A 250V, and that's it. Sorry, but that's all that was legible on mine, even with a magnifier. If there'd have been a part number, I wouldn't have had to ask. Besides, is it REALLY such a chore to respond to such a simple question? You took the time to make a post, didn't you? But, instead of responding to the question asked, you chose to go out of your way to post something condescending. Yet, I was the rude one, right?

There are so many questions asked about fuse type location etc..etc..that it get's pretty old

Maybe it should be added to the sticky thread. If it's a question that's continually asked, it's quite possible that Epiphone hasn't done a very good job of making it obvious to all of us village idiots.

why not make it a standard size fuse if you are doing any sort of heavy mods?

It really doesn't matter what the fuse part number or location is, as long as I know the answer to both questions when the need arises, and it's simple to replace under pressure.

the silk screen graphics is quite in plain view next to the don't open this warning.

That would've been mighty handy, indeed!

Well I honestly thought your question had been answered and that's what I said.......condescending? Not intentionally.....the reason I didn't respond right away is that all of my Jr's are hot-rodded and the screening is removed completely from the back of all 3 of them and I honestly didn't feel like getting a screwdriver from the basement and removing the fuse to check it! I guess that makes me some sort of a-hole? I think eracer and I simply thought you had the answer before you did.......and yes it is a 2A not 1A. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding and I'm a little sacastic by nature......that's just me......sorry if it came off as condescending.

It's alright. I realize that it was a question that should seem blindingly obvious, and, in a normal world, would've been. BUT, I don't normally live in a normal world...my world is filled with bizarre ironies and inexplicable inconsistencies. Don't ask me why, but I can tell you that if I had a nickel for every time I've heard someone in my life say "Hmmm...that's really weird...I've never seen anything like that before, and I've been doing this for years...", I could've retired fat and wealthy, years ago.

and yes it is a 2A not 1A.

You sure about this? The two markings that I COULD make out on my fuses were "1A 250v."

Ahhh.. My Thanks to Just Strum...

http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=5382&p=2

check this thread, near the bottom you'll find a picture of JustStrum's VJ.

Clearly you will see in the picture:

Epiphone model: Vavle Junior serial # : 09xxx

A/C 115v ~50/60Hz Fuse: T2AL 250V

which makes it a Time Delay 2Amp 250v fuse

If your's is a 1amp fuse then maybe that's why its blowing.

(not sure where gil got the 1amp thing from but not for me to ask.)

Got it backwards from the typo department. I have only meds and dyslexia to blame. And maybe the floaters in my eyes, those are always getting in the way. Let me rephase it so even I can figure it out while unconcious: America gets the 2Amp fuse on the mains, and everyone else gets a 1Amp fuse. Sorry 'bout that.

Gil...

I don't think it has anything to do with country of origin, Gil. My SF vibrochamp wants 1A, as does my 40 year old Gibson. When I saw 1A on my Jr. fuses, it was totally what I'd expected to see, based upon those other small amps. My big amps use 2A fuses. I was actually pretty surprised to learn that it was supposed to be 2A in that amp.

Btw, I seem to have located the mystery fuses for Jr., at RS. Part # is 270-1064.

I just take the fuse I need over to Rat Shack and buy a bunch. When I run low, I do it again. There has always been a Rat Shack near by, so I've never had to worry about fuse part numbers that much beyond the amperage I need.

Gil...

Archived