Gibson Brands Forums

Best Balanced Hollowbody ?

Bender 4 Life

OK, its almost trigger pullin' time.

1 last Q for some of you guys (&/or gals) that have a room full of hollowbodies.

Among currently available Epiphone single, and double cut models, which is the most butt-heavy?

Which has the best balance played standing?

I'm wanting a hollowbody thats either butt-heavy, like my GLP (14.2 lbs.)

Or perfectly balanced like my V-Factor (11.5 lbs.)

Thanks in advance for any info you can render.

Bender 4 Life, although the Epiphone Sheraton II is a semi-hollow, because of the solid piece of wood that runs

down the center of its innerds, I find it to be a well balanced guitar. It feels good whether you're playing it sitting

down or standing up. Also remember that the Sheri has Humbucker p'ups. There are other Epiphone hollow or

semi-hollow guitars that have P-90's if you're looking for an edgier sound. The ultimate decision lies with you though. If I were you I'd go to a guitar store that's big enough to have the variety to try out and then make you choice based on all the factors that come into play. We guys who live in Orange County, NY are lucky enough to have a music store like Alto Music that allows us that luxury when the time comes or if not to just stop by and dream until we have the

cash to pay for the G.A.S.

Bender 4 Life' date=' although the Epiphone Sheraton II is a semi-hollow, because of the solid piece of wood that runs

down the center of its innerds, I find it to be a well balanced guitar. It feels good whether you're playing it sitting

down or standing up. Also remember that the Sheri has Humbucker p'ups. There are other Epiphone hollow or

semi-hollow guitars that have P-90's if you're looking for an edgier sound. The ultimate decision lies with you though. If I were you I'd go to a guitar store that's big enough to have the variety to try out and then make you choice based on all the factors that come into play. We guys who live in Orange County, NY are lucky enough to have a music store like Alto Music that allows us that luxury when the time comes or if not to just stop by and dream until we have the

cash to pay for the G.A.S.[/quote']

TY for the insight.........yes, I'm going to my local GC Saturday to try out several models(as I usually do)

I wanted several opinions about balance, because running around GC,with guitars hanging around my neck, swinging and shaking them to check the balance.......has, and surely will cause undue attention, and some concerned looks from employees. :(

I'm still leaning strongly toward the Sheraton II....but i'm also going to try out a Lucille.

My Sheraton II is pretty awkward on a strap. That neck-heel strap button is not in a good place: the guitar wants to rotate away from me.

Guess I'll just sit down and play it. I hate to drill a new hole for an upper bout button.

lpdeluxe, you don't have to do that. I use straplocks on my Sheraton II (I do with all my guitars). The clasp that's

on the butt end of the strap goes the conventional way. The clasp that goes on the other end that goes on the

neck-heel strap button needs to be put on you strap with the clasp on the front side, instead of the back side,

as is the conventional way. This way the front (top) of the strap is showing when you're playing, there's no pull

on the neck as there would be the other way. It works for me and I learned that from others who had their neck-heel

stap button in that position, whether on an electric or acoustic guitar.

My Sheraton II is pretty awkward on a strap. That neck-heel strap button is not in a good place: the guitar wants to rotate away from me.

Guess I'll just sit down and play it. I hate to drill a new hole for an upper bout button.

Looks like its in the same place as on an SG or Flying V (I have both)

I reverse my neck straplock as was noted, and use Schallers(sp?) because even gravity can't

fight the horse shoe shaped lock.

With my Sheraton, I added a Bigsby to add mass to the body and also switched out the tuner buttons for ebony ones. That made a huge difference in the balance of the guitar. The worst guitar that I had in terms of balance was a Mossman 12 string that had 12 rotomatics on the head. That neck always wanted to take a dive (should have called it Sonny Liston). I changed the knobs on it as well and made it a whole lot more manageable.

It's not about being neck heavy: it's about the guitar tending to rotate away from me so the lower bout is digging into my legs and I can't see the markers on the fingerboard because the fingerboard is angled toward the floor rather than the ceiling.

And, after a couple of hundred years of playing, I know which way to attach straps.:D

Since I'm not gigging with it (playing at church and at the occasional folkie venue -- at which we were going to play Saturday, now been canceled due to Hurricane Ike -- it doesn't matter if I sit down. In fact, I can hear my amp that much better....

The semi hollow WildKat hangs very well' date=' due to the bigsby I am guessing. Another thing, If you like the shape of your Les Paul...you will like the WK.

Capt[/quote']

Ditto that. WK is very easy on the back, and nicely balanced.

I find the Sheraton a little, mind you a *little* awkward in comparison, but I'm also not a very big guy. The WK though is as comfortable on the back as my SG and IMO better balanced.

Archived