Gibson Brands Forums

I too pulled the trigger...EF-500RNS

tir727

I went looking at my local ma/pa music store before Labor day. Was in the market for a rosewood martin (and will get one someday), but didn't this trip. I picked up an EF-500R, V-neck, and it boomed! It was the sound I was looking for and I didn't even need to shop around...really rare. Anyway, after some minor negotiation I was sold. But when we brought it up to the counter to do the deal, the light shone in such a way that a small 2" long crack was revealled at the bridge. He made me a better deal, but I was reluctant (you don't want to buy "brand new" damaged goods), so I had him order a new one. Well it arrived today, two long weeks later, and I've been playing all evening. It sounds great!

A couple of technical questions though as I'm no expert. How can I determine the date of manufacture from the serial number? The saddle is compensated, with much less break angle a the 1st. The nut appears to do the same...Is that a purposeful epi design? My Tacoma doesn't do that. There is a very slight "bow"/"belly" at the bridge, from bass to treble side...how much is allowable keeping in mind this is brand new?

Thanks to all Masterbuilt owners out there in advance for any help. Cheers.

My newly purchased EF500RA is phenominal: the complex overtones and loud voice is what I was looking for. I have also noticed there is a slight belly below the bridge as if the guitar is part flat-top and part arch-top. I am thinking this is normal, manufacturing processes. Perhaps others have noticed this also. Maybe the Epiphone people can explain this. Dont bother asking Gibson customer care - they couldnt even give me the dimensions of this guitar so that I could find a suitable hardshell case. Does anyone know if there is an Epiphone Customer care number. I could'nt find it on the website.

Eitherway, this is a special guitar, especially considering the price.

I agree with you george. The bow is so very slight and symetrical, that it may indeed by a design spec. Belly bow in most flat top guitars is normal to a degree (from what I understand). Its when it becomes obviously noticable and asymetrical is when you need to worry. The sound is truly awesome for $550 w/featherlight case. Does the nut on the RA compensate lower to the 1st E? Anything on dating by serial number?

However...as I was tuning up last night I heard a slight "pop/crackling" and noticed that the bone saddle splintered at the D sring. I'm not overly concerned, but will be inquiring with the warranty department on Monday. That's just not right.

There is not any bow in the top of my 2~yr. old EF. Mine is the ver. with cutaway, but that shouldn't matter. Do you use 13s? I only use 12s on these.

I also had the saddle chip exactly as you describe. I asked Epi if I could buy a spare and was told No.

Thanks to them I am now an accomplished saddle maker. =D>

I've never seen a compensated nut.

The "bow" is normal!! I have that on all 3 of my acoustic guitars.

This was brought up on the Gibson forum a few months ago.

The response was overwhelmingly, that all acoustic guitars have this "slight" bow.

I know that my 3 have it, & I keep them humidified to 45% humidity, & try to keep the temps from reaching extremes.

Also all 3 are strung with 13's.

Archived