Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Byrdland - Signed by Uncle Ted

Byrdlander

Ok guys,

I know some of you will think I'm crazy, but I had to do it. I put a Gibby tailpiece on, witch hat knobs, Gretsch strap button on toggle switch. Ted played the thing, and I think he was suprised by the thing. He hated the venetian cutaway, "waste of wood" he said. Asked if they made a florentine, as though he would consider one if they did.

So, did I destroy the guitar, or add value?

341019634_98iSD-L.jpg

355459486_kwwgD-L.jpg

It was very, very cool. I was also lucky enough to play the original #7 '64 Black Byrdland, and the Great White Buffalo Byrdland. When you are playing Ted Nugent's guitar, trying to play some of his tunes while he is standing there, you *will* need diapers.

Obviously, I ruined the guitar for a lot of folks, but one day my wife will sell this to some kid whose dad was a NUGE fan. Now that they are discontinued, even better.

The new tailpiece is quite a bit heavier than the stock tailpiece, and the looping is wider as well. While we had to relocate the mounting holes, it was worth it. The action on this guitar is now on par with my 67 L-5, which is like a cube of soft butter.

It was very' date=' very cool. I was also lucky enough to play the original #7 '64 Black Byrdland, and the Great White Buffalo Byrdland. When you are playing Ted Nugent's guitar, trying to play some of his tunes while he is standing there, you *will* need diapers.

Obviously, I ruined the guitar for a lot of folks, but one day my wife will sell this to some kid whose dad was a NUGE fan. Now that they are discontinued, even better.

The new tailpiece is quite a bit heavier than the stock tailpiece, and the looping is wider as well. While we had to relocate the mounting holes, it was worth it. The action on this guitar is now on par with my 67 L-5, which is like a cube of soft butter.

[/quote'] As with everything else in life people have thier opinions on whether you ruined it or not. I don't think you did, but that's me. From a collectors point of view who may likes Uncle Ted i think you added value. iI collect alot of different things, but one example is, Michael Jordan has two different rookie cards, i have the Fleer autographed which adds alot more value than if it wasn't

Ted Nugent has been one of my favorite guitarists for the past 30 years.

He can play amazingly fast, shredding when needed (Wang Dang Sweet Poontang), or play slow and melodic, often using his volume knob for swells (Stranglehold). Some of his albums I don't like and never listen to them, even though I own them. And some of his albums are my favorite of any guitarist. He puts on a hell of a show too.

I would love to have that guitar signed by him.

And to have played the guitars you said you did. Priceless!!

Archived