Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone dot pick ups

britpoper

Hi people sorry but this is my first time on here.

I have just purchased an epihone dot had it set up and a new bone nut fitted.

It plays really nice but the pick ups and the pots are not to clever.I play in a mod britpop style band so I would not want to fit anything to heavy ,does any know of any upgrade kits for them .

Cheers

Hi britpoper, I just fitted a set of GFS vintage '59s ( and switch and jack) in my dot and couldn't be happier with them. I don't know if the pots and caps need changing, but even with just the pups changed, both tone controls have a larger useful range and I'm in no hurry to change anything else.

Maybe some other guys can elaborate on the pots and caps.

P.S. How are ya finding that bone nut, britpoper?

I forgot to mention something I almost always forget to mention: Although pickups can make a big difference (as in my case), I recommend you try different amps first. Amps make a much bigger difference than pickups. (I still need a different/better amp to get more of what I'm looking for)

Hi ron G

I use a marshall tsl 100 half stack and I play an epiphone sheriton through it most of the time it sounds the bizz with stock pick ups.I just think the dot is lacking something but its a nice guitar to play.

Gotcha! Then welcome to the wonderful, mysterious world of replacement pickups, a frequent discussion on the forums. Some pickups come with a policy where if you don't like 'em, you can trade for another model - GFS and Seymour Duncan come to mind. Good luck and enjoy the confusion.

Good luck on the Vintage 59s. I put them in 3 sets of them my guitars, and I have heard a big difference, for the better. If you are not gonna do the cheater method, I'd swap out everything when you put new pickups in, since it is a pretty big job. When you get a new jack, get the long shaft. The regular sized shaft is too short.

Archived