Gibson Brands Forums

6 discontinued Les Pauls (gibbys)

TheX

Yep, the Standard has been discontinued for a while now. No one really wants to try out the 2008 Standard what with the circuit board and all. I'm glad that Gibson is cutting down their line, there were way too many LPs out there. I think they should have less guitars and focus more on quality.

They're on a roll up there. Maybe they think the guys who wanted Epiphone Elitists will now buy the.....wait.....now those are discontinued too.

I'm wondering if only the Slash and Zakk Wilde models will be left over when all of the dust clears.

Too many LP's anyway...IMHO. Keep the Standard, Custom, Faded Double Cuts, Studio, Junior

and Melody Maker (like the old days) and "build them right and price them fair!" All others, could/should be "Custom Shop"....for the folks that have that kind of need, and "bread!"

Same with SG's. Standard, Custom, Special/Traditional (2 P-90s, bound fingerboard), Junior (1 P-90 unbound fingerboard).

Buit, that's just me...

CB

Is it the SG3 with the "chicken head" 6 way p'up selector thats been discontinued??

PLEASE tell me no.

OMG...time to sell a kidney' date=' soon as I find a wino to remove it from, :- [/quote']

Bender, have you ever used one of those? The "Chicken head" switch is a PAIN,

trying to switch on the fly, at a gig! Get a "Standard," or '61 Reissue!

CB

Bender' date=' have you ever used one of those? The "Chicken head" switch is a PAIN,

trying to switch on the fly, at a gig! Get a "Standard," or '61 Reissue!

CB[/quote']

I'm very obsessive/compulsive, and luckily it manifests as "counting"

and "number memory".

I've never played a chicken head switch....but doubt it would be a problem.

Look at the strap locks ont the 2008 Standard, that guitar look awful IMO!

A new Gibson Les Paul has been my "next guitar" for a couple of months now, and looking at this I think I will be going for the Traditional model.

Why have they cancelled the Classic???!!! Awesome guitar....O:)

They got rid of the BFG' date=' so at least they did one thing right.[/quote']

Too bad the fit and finnish on those was soooo sh#tty because that's actually one of the only innovative LP designs in the last few decades IMHO. There are so many redundancies in the LP line that they had to weed it out. Gibson just threw a bunch of sh#t out there(and yes some of it was real sh#t) to see what sold and then made their decision based on that. Quality really has little to do with it IMHO. The ROBOT guitar is a complete joke! I bet that gets axed next year after they squeeze every dime out of it they can to try and cover R&D costs. When all is said and done I'll bet it's a colossal loser. If Gibson wanted to do so,they could make a high quality plain Les Paul for about $1200-$1500 with very few option choices and sell a ton of em IMHO. I'm afraid their motivation can be summed up in a word....."Greed".

Too bad the fit and finnish on those was soooo sh#tty because that's actually one of the only innovative LP designs in the last few decades IMHO. There are so many redundancies in the LP line that they had to weed it out. Gibson just threw a bunch of sh#t out there(and yes some of it was real sh#t) to see what sold and then made their decision based on that. Quality really has little to do with it IMHO. The ROBOT guitar is a complete joke! I bet that gets axed next year after they squeeze every dime out of it they can to try and cover R&D costs. When all is said and done I'll bet it's a colossal loser. If Gibson wanted to do so' date='they could make a high quality plain Les Paul for about $1200-$1500 with very few option choices and sell a ton of em IMHO. I'm afraid their motivation can be summed up in a word....."Greed".[/quote']

I'm just bummed that all of the non-Custom/Historic models seem to have two piece backs now. I do agree that they needed to trim the line a bit. At the time the Classic debuted it filled a niche for a more "Vintage" style Les Paul, but now there are several other options on that front.

I'm not sure how much R&D money there is in the ROBOT - it uses the Tronical PowerTune system:

http://www.tronical.com/

so it's not something Gibson developed in-house.

They do still sell the Studio for under $1400.

I'm just bummed that all of the non-Custom/Historic models seem to have two piece backs now. I do agree that they needed to trim the line a bit. At the time the Classic debuted it filled a niche for a more "Vintage" style Les Paul' date=' but now there are several other options on that front.

I'm not sure how much R&D money there is in the ROBOT - it uses the Tronical PowerTune system:

http://www.tronical.com/

so it's not something Gibson developed in-house.

They do still sell the Studio for under $1400.[/quote']

Well that's even worse actually......a purple or green les paul studio that tunes itself for $2800 case not included......KEEP IT Gibson! A les paul studio isn't worth a grand IMHO never mind 3 grand!

Classic, Traditional, Standard???? Why not ONE ("Standard")...made correctly, with all the old and loved features?

Gibson (and everyone else) seems to have gone the 31 flavor's route...only maybe 6 flovors with 25 different "sprinkles!"

Get back to "Basics" guys, and make those the best you can make them! (Especially for what they're charging!)

If they'd do that...I'd just about guarantee sales would go up, and not down. All this othere BS is too confusing, without

having any real "value!" IMHO...

CB

Well that's even worse actually......a purple or green les paul studio that tunes itself for $2800 case not included......KEEP IT Gibson! A les paul studio isn't worth a grand IMHO never mind 3 grand!

While it doesn't diminish your point overall, a case actually is included ;)

While it doesn't diminish your point overall' date=' a case actually is included ;)[/quote']

My mistake.....the site I checked didn't mention the case and that usually means not included.;) .....OK it's a better deal by $100 but it still sucks!LOL BTW that $2799 price is recently discounted as well....OUCH!

Classic' date=' Traditional, Standard???? Why not ONE ("Standard")...made correctly, with all the old and loved features?

Gibson (and everyone else) seems to have gone the 31 flavor's route...only maybe 6 flovors with 25 different "sprinkles!"

Get back to "Basics" guys, and make those the best you can make them! (Especially for what they're charging!)

If they'd do that...I'd just about guarantee sales would go up, and not down. All this othere BS is too confusing, without

having any real "value!" IMHO...

CB [/quote']

I agree totally that's basically what the Heritage line started doing and they built some very nice guitars actually.

Archived