Gibson Brands Forums

ES-175 Re-issue

Fadedepi

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought one yesterday! brilliant guitar. i went into the shop just for a look it caught my eye and after a quick shot i just bought it there and then £279. £40 for the case but got a free gibson strap! it was my 30th so its a present to myself.

i love the deep body and how you play it that but further out infront of you its quite comfy and suits me nicely

Rossmcv,

Thanks for your response. How does she sound, acousticly and plugged in. I hope to read more once you've had a chance to play her a little more. I'm thinking I might buy one, but, none of the local shops have one I can try. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Faded...

Don't see many comments about these on this forum. Does anyone own one? If so' date=' any feedback would be appreicated. GAS attack eminent....

Faded...[/quote']

There have been some discussions you might be able to look up, but you're right they're not mentioned that often. I bought one around a year ago, mainly because I wanted to try an archtop and could neither afford or justify the price of the Gibson original.

The worst review I've seen said it was a good jazz box for the price, but doesn't match up to the original tone. But so what - that was a good enough comment for me to get one. I've never played the Gibson version, and am not likely to, but I like mine. The original strings were dreadful - easy enough to change, and a good idea anyway with any new guitar. Tried flatwound, then round wound, then flat wound again, then round wound again - and stuck with round wounds as they give a good even tone across all strings. The tuners have 'Grover' on them, but I didn't think much of them and put genuine Rotomatics on. It's been fine ever since. There was a few comments at the time about very flexible sides allowing the finish to crack around the jack socket if you snag the plug/lead. I put a plate around my jack socket which hid the crack and strengthened the mounting. No more trouble. I already had a pair of 57 Classics so I put those in too after a while, but to be honest the standard pups were quite OK. Mine has a dual action truss rod, which allows the neck to be set up really well; but can be confusing when you come to adjust it the first time. All this has been discussed on threads somewhere here though. Think mine was made in Indonesia, but the finish and detail was very good - better than a Gibson 137 I bought just before.

Best thing I like about it is the 175 shape, size, playability - not as much of a struggle as a big 17'' box, but easier to play (seated, fingerstyle) than something like the DOT. By trial and error I've got it to the point where it sounds good. Not much acoustic sound to speak of, but that's part of the design. There are other 175 copies about of course, but I have no experience of them. If you like jazz archtops and want to find out what 175's are like to play - give it a try. Rossmcv is right - they're on GAK in the UK for well under £300, a TENTH of the price of a Gibson over here.

Bob

Hey faded,

acoustically its grand!play up at the 17th/19th fret on the b & e and you can hear it echoing around the chamber of the guitar. gets me excited... will post pics asap. i am considering however changing the tuners (my only gripe so far) they are grovers but they just aint working well at all.

also, it has Epiphone custom Limited edition on the back of the neck which is quite cool. is yours the same?

Archived