Gibson Brands Forums

Which Amp?

OhioSlashFan

How much horsepower do you need? 5 watts is more than loud enough for home use. 15 will cover many live venues. 50 is too much for many. 100 is really only useable if you're in need of ear-splitting clean volumes or heavy thrash metal. Most players these days view 18-20 watts as "perfect" for most venues.

How much horsepower do you need? 5 watts is more than loud enough for home use. 15 will cover many live venues. 50 is too much for many. 100 is really only useable if you're in need of ear-splitting clean volumes or heavy thrash metal. Most players these days view 18-20 watts as "perfect" for most venues.

Marshall MG250DFX

Sorry, didn't notice it in the first post. Well, I am happy with my Valve Jr (modified). If you want to make a "little risk" purchase, I am reading some good reviews over at another forum from the people buying the 18W Crate

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051&CJAID=10381297&CJPID=1571798

I've been kicking the idea around of getting one at $149 for a tube amp.

I also am interested in the epi Valve Sr (whenever it finally arrives in the stores)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ValveSr/

But no feedback on how good or bad it is, plus you are looking at another $210 on top of the Crate.

Thanks for the input' date=' will check out the Crate Tommorow. If i don't have a new amp by the time the Valve Sr arrives will look at that one also.[/quote']

The VJr. V3 is a must try -- and for $$/benefit a must own IMO -- see thread "Reason #4,735,221 why..."

5 watts sounds like it might be tiny, right..., it isn't. VJr. is class A single-ended so it roughly equals 15 watts of an A/B amp.

But the tone is right-on and brother with the right setup, hang onto your socks! Just mic it for playing clubs. Your hard rock needs likely require the head plus a multiple speaker cab (2x12 or 4x12) for better ooomph and definition plus a distortion pedal or POD to drive the preamp hard. It is questionable if VJr. will do metal to your liking. Mods may be in order for that.

Crate - blah - I've owned some but will never own another (the list is too long to go into).

EPI VSr.? Impossible to say for certain, but the specs indicate it will be a clean, Fenderish amp tone.

EPI Blues Custom 30? Maybe. I've never tried it but have heard one that sounded great and the reviews are good.

EPI So Cal 50? Good amp value & could be your ticket for hard/metal material but it is oooh so loud (w/attenuator maybe?).

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

I've got the BC30 and it's a spectacularly good amp but it's voiced very much for blues, classic rock so if you're looking for heavy metal, etc it's probably not the right amp. If you're looking for an Epi then I'd say the SoCal is going to be your best bet. Don't forget to figure a heavy duty attenuator into the cost though cos you'll need one!

The VJr. V3 is a must try -- and for $$/benefit a must own IMO -- see thread "Reason #4' date='735,221 why.[/b'].."

5 watts sounds tiny... it isn't. VJr. is class A single-ended so it roughly equals 15 watts of an A/B amp.

Crate - blah - I've owned some but will never own another (the list is too long to go into).

Steven,

Does the ver 3 need to be modified or has everything been addressed by Epi?

As for the Crate. I hear what you are saying, but there are people buying this one that weere anti-Crate people. I never owned one, so I have nothing to compare. I look at it as being $149, so it's not a big investment. However, admittidly I know nothing about amps, except for what I hear - that said, I'm happy with mine.

Sorry' date=' didn't notice it in the first post. Well, I am happy with my Valve Jr (modified). If you want to make a "little risk" purchase, I am reading some good reviews over at another forum from the people buying the 18W Crate

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051&CJAID=10381297&CJPID=1571798

I've been kicking the idea around of getting one at $149 for a tube amp.

I also am interested in the epi Valve Sr (whenever it finally arrives in the stores)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ValveSr/

But no feedback on how good or bad it is, plus you are looking at another $210 on top of the Crate.[/quote']

I've been known to be quite blunt about such things and some take offense, but in all honesty the Crate is a POS and that's being nice about it! Go on sewatt and ask about it and you'll find out exactly why in techno-speak if you are interested. I see no reason to open that can of worms here,but let's just say they cut major corners on that amp.:D

let's just say they cut major corners on that amp

I sent the schematic of that amp to my amp tech, to have him see about any potential there making it worth buying. As soon as he saw the switch mode power supply, he wrote back and said "cheap Chinese crap...not even worth the $149."

I have read good things about some of the previous Crate tube amps...the vintage club and the previous V-series. I've personally heard the v-50, and can vouch that it sounds really good.

It does look perhaps, as though they've taken huge steps backwards with this new series, at least if the v-18 is any indication.

Steven' date='

Does the ver 3 need to be modified or has everything been addressed by Epi?[/quote']

Awhile back, we all had this big discussion here about the V3 and necessary mods. The thread is gone now, but consensus is that out-of-the-box V3 is ready, willing, and capable. Epi corrected everything -- with the possible exception of the plate voltage. It is still clearly higher than spec. which means that the EL84 power tube may burn out sooner than it otherwise would if voltage was lowered. However, there are a bundle of factors that can also cause early tube failure so no one can say for sure. Besides, no one with a stock V3 reports having a problem. Mine has about 270 hours on a JJ EL84 and it's still sounding terrific.

I think most players can benefit from a valve upgrade to open up more headroom. I'm happy with the reissue Tung Sol 12AX7/ECC803S gold pin and JJ EL84 (under $30 for the pair). Others suggest a 5751 in preamp.

Tone mods are just for different tone -- okay if you want, but many here choose instead to use pedals or modelers for tone tweaks and master volume control and leave V3 alone. Bottom line is that V3 is easy to mod in many different ways if that's your thing, but if not then enjoy it stock. (Great tone mod example: Vox - check out forum member layboomo just ripping this old James Gang number on his youtube Voxy#2 video -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCN2FtONBfE)

Speakers also make a big difference in tone so it's yet another way to tweak the V3 into your personal tonal nirvana w/o mods.

Awhile back' date=' we all had this big discussion here about the V3 and necessary mods. The thread is gone now, but consensus is that out-of-the-box V3 is ready, willing, and capable. Epi corrected everything -- with the possible exception (some say, I don't) of the plate voltage. It is higher than spec. which means that power tubes may burn out sooner than they otherwise would if voltage is lowered. However, there are a bundle of factors that can also cause early tube failure so no one can say for sure. Besides, no one with a stock V3 reports having a problem. Mine has about 270 hours on a JJ EL84 and it's still sounding terrific.

I think most players can benefit from a valve upgrade to open up more headroom. I'm happy with the reissue Tung Sol 12AX7/ECC803S gold pin and JJ EL84 (under $30 for the pair). Others suggest a 5751 in preamp.

Tone mods are just for different tone -- okay if you want, but many here choose instead to use pedals or modelers for tone tweaks and master volume control and leave V3 alone. Bottom line is that V3 is easy to mod in many different ways if that's your thing, but if not then enjoy it stock. [i'](Tone mod example: Vox - check out forum member layboomo just ripping this old James Gang number on his youtube Voxy#2 video -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCN2FtONBfE)[/i]

Speakers also make a big difference in tone so it's yet another way to tweak the V3 into your personal tonal nirvana w/o mods.

I would have to agree ...when we started modding the version 1 and 2 Jr's it was to correct problems and improve tone and Epi included many of those mods in the version 3 amp. Bang for the buck it's the best amp value out there IMHO. For the cost of a good pedal you get a quality tube amp...it's a no brainer!

I've read thing's on mod's to the amp and being somewhat of a beginner' date=' is there an amp to look at w/out major mod's that will give me what i'm looking for? The only thing i have plugged into my present Marshall is a Jackhammer JH-1. I'd really like to get a tube amp.[/quote']

Yeah the version 3 valve jr without any mods should get you where you want to go.......that's what we've all been trying to say I think!:-

I've been known to be quite blunt about such things and some take offense' date=' but in all honesty the Crate is a POS and that's being nice about it! Go on sewatt and ask about it and you'll find out exactly why in techno-speak if you are interested. I see no reason to open that can of worms here,but let's just say they cut major corners on that amp.=D> [/quote']

No need to sugar coat it with me, I've seen enough of your post to know you are not attacking the messanger. I made a point to say I am no amp expert and in fact know little when it comes to amps. I am just saying that some people purchased that amp and are happy with their initial findings. Now, how it will be down the road or what their opinion is down the road, that's to be seen.

I was tempted to buy one, but I figure it will not provide me anything above what the Valve Jr and AD30VT provide me.

No need to sugar coat it with me' date=' I've seen enough of your post to know you are not attacking the messanger. I made a point to say I am no amp expert and in fact know little when it comes to amps. I am just saying that some people purchased that amp and are happy with their initial findings. Now, how it will be down the road or what their opinion is down the road, that's to be seen.

I was tempted to buy one, but I figure it will not provide me anything above what the Valve Jr and AD30VT provide me.

[/quote']

Wise choice...both of those are better amps. Without getting too technical that particular amp uses a very cheap alternative to a power transformer that most amp guys frown upon.

VJ3 is awesome! Stock!

Not sure about metal tho, maybe with some pedals but hard rock no prob even without tube change. Thats what i play and i love it!

It makes my cheap ply wood Kramer striker sound awesome too!

LP singing lovely through it. Gonna buy an EQ pedal to tweak any small bits. Will leave standard.

Well, will most prob build an attenuator to go with.

Archived