Gibson Brands Forums

Which Epiphone to buy?

Erniel

Hey guys,

I've been playing guitar for a couple of years now and I wanna upgrade my guitar collection with an Epiphone =D>

I like playing Metal/Rock mostly (Metallica/Foo Fighters and stuff) and since I'm on a kinda low budget I'm doubting between an Epiphone Explorer and an Epiphone Firebird Studio instead of my first intended Gibsons..

The Firebird Studio looked really cool to me with a sweet sound and I initially wanted to buy it in black (hard to find? =/ ) but then started figuring that a Explorer also could really fit the job

Which one would u guys advise me to buy? or any other Epiphone guitar that would be really good for my music..

Thanks a lot =D

You're on the right track, going with solidbodies.

Really, it's up to you. I don't think any of us will convince you of which body style you should go for (I have a Les Paul that works perfectly for either application, but evidently, you're looking for more of a "radical" style). Be advised, though, that Gibson's Firebirds normally come with mini-humbuckers (Epiphone puts regular humbuckers on theirs) and those produce a markedly different sound. Again, it's your choice. Just make sure you play whatever you can get your hands on before buying.

I agree that a Firebird is not typically a metal guitar. The Explorer is and in metal sometimes its all about the look.

On the other hand, you don't have to march to the beat of everybody elses drum... march to the beat of your own drum, go for your own look and your own sound!

I agree that a Firebird is not typically a metal guitar. The Explorer is and in metal sometimes its all about the look.

On the other hand' date=' you don't have to march to the beat of everybody elses drum... march to the beat of your own drum, go for your own look and your own sound!

[/quote']

You might even like a Dot Studio!

If I were you, I'd also take a serious look at the Epiphone Prophecy line ... the SG EX model in particular. The EMG's on this thing are really hot (too hot for my style of playing, in fact) and the neck is slicker than s**t through a goose. Great looking guitar too, by the way ... it screams metal. Good luck in your decision making process!

MIDI

Archived