Gibson Brands Forums

Any Reports on Your DR-500R???

bluezguy

Hey,

I just ordered one of these because I couldn't figure out the 'tonal' differences in wood since their are no sound bits presented by Epiphone or anyone that I could find. Over the years, I've purchased other acoustics, electrics and amps from EPI and they've never let me down. I hope this IS the masterbuilt unit I need tonally!!!

I figured the maple of the 'P' would be too bright... the mahogany of the 'M' too dark so I settled on the 'R' which I'll be stuffing with a LR Baggs M1 pup.

Furthermore, I believe watching the video on the Masterclass guitars confused things more as the players of the various guitars did not identify them... So... we'll see!

You 'AJ' folks seem very happy - howz about you DR dudes & dudettes??

J

I've played the maple DR and I was surprised at the sound quality. You can tell it's maple, but I think you'd find it richer than what you usually associate with that wood. Also surprised that you'd figure the mahogany to be "darker" sounding than the rosewood. I always thought of the latter as having a deeper, more low-end sound in general.

Anyway, I just HAD to write on this thread, since I AM Bloozeguy!

My DR is my go to guitar. It's my most played guitar. I don't bother to put it in the case.

Yeah but which DR do you have? the 500P, 500M or the 500R??? That's my question. I got a hold of Gibson's 24 hour support last night and they did say mahogany was the 'darker' and more midrange sounding between that and rosewood. They said the rosewood back is the middle choice between maple, mahogany and rosewood.

Who do you believe???

When I went on Taylor's guitar site (tonewood), they said rosewood is the 'fullest sounding' through the entire spectrum and had a graph to show brightness levels. The mahogany and rosewood backs were the same.

The guitar ships from Musicians friend today (this afternoon) so I still have a few hours to make changes.

J

I have the DR500RA. I have only played other MB DRs briefly at GC and those were rosewood also.

There used to be a 15 min. video on the Epi site detailing and playing the various models. Is it gone?

The video is useless as it is simply an introduction to the acoustic line of Epi. You see a bunch of guys in a cathedral setting playing a number of acoustics and raving about the quality & sound - but not one of them says what model they're talking about. Furthermore, the camera angles are such that you can't identify them on your own or, even guess what they're playing.

That hype video can be found on the MusiciansFriend.com site in one of the DR or AJ guitars pages.

What does the 'A' stand for in your DR's model #??

You never mentioned if you were enjoying this instrument and why =D>

Thanks,

J

I went back and found the video, it is here on the Epi site download page. It is 7 mins. long, not quite the 15 I thought I remembered, but it took forever on dial-up.

If you are familiar with the basic DR-AJ-EF model shapes you can tell what they are playing, but maybe it's difficult to tell mahogany from rosewood by the videos. Anyway, a better video sampling can be had on youtube. I searched and found lots of folks trying out and showing off their guitar. I searched separately- Masterbilt EF, Masterbilt DR, Masterbilt AJ, and Epiphone Masterbilt with good results, including finding the Official Epiphone member site. Most of the vids tell you exactly what they are playing. Most of the vids were pretty good, some were very "homemade". But it's out there if you wanna see and hear the different guitars. But nothing beats playing them to hear for yourself.

Also, Acoustic Guitar online mag just posted "7 Dreadnoughts Reviewed" including the DR-500R. Click here.

My MB model is actually DR-500RANS. The "A" stand for Abalone trim which seems to be a discontinued version now. NS= natural satin. (I had a VS painted DR for awhile, but sold it.) MF seems to have only the EF in Abalone trim now. Playing this guitar makes me feel good. I enjoy it greatly. As I do my EJ-160E John Lennon too. My musicianship is no better than average for a hobby player. It's all about feel for me, and nothing like a new set of strings ringing.

I just picked up the dr500r a couple of months back. I sold my martin dx-1 for this great giutar. I've played many of the masterbilt models and love the rosewood. Even my wife noticed the differance which is a big win. Now I'm expermenting with different strings and gaugesto find the best combo. The rosewood sounds deeper and more mellow than the mahogany which sounds clean with a woody overtone, very nice. I personally always wanted a rosewood guitar and i am very happy

Hello folks, I own the DR500M. When I tested Masterbilt guitars I only had the AJ500R to compare and I went with the Dr500M because from strumming both for awhile ( a good long while) I found the the DR500M to be a fuller sounding guitar then the AJ500R but really not by much. They both sounded sweet but I went with the DR500M for the fuller sound and prettier inlays in the neck. Hope this helps a bit. Well gotta go strum and pick :)

Archived