Gibson Brands Forums

Do hardcases screw your finishes up ?

Sheesh

A hint to keeping your hardware clean - wipe the guitar down after playing with a micro-fiber cloth ( sold at WALMART ) then keep the guitar OUT of the case if possible. I've found that whatever they use for glue in hardshell cases react's with the finish, as with the hardware. Ever wonder why your fret's look like CRAP? It's not so much the sweat from your hands, it's the nickle reacting to moisture held in the case with fumes combined. Try it out...

BENT E wrote that (thanks for the info dude), and i'd like to know if any of you guys have encountered the same problem, with the hardcase screwing up your finishes ?

Well, possibly? Nitro finished guitars can "out gas" in the case, as well. Old Gretsch's and to a lesser degree, some older Gibson's with nitro-cellulose binding, was especially susceptible to out gassing, which led to the binding "deteriorating" (crumbling and falling off), and also tarnishing the hardware...especially the gold. But, even the nickel silver hardware was effected. I see you're in Malaysia...which is humid, and that's another problem. Keep an eye on mold and fungus, as well. That klind of humidity alone, can lead to fret problems, both appearance and lifting. So, keeping it dry especially after playing, is crucial...but maybe more so, in your climate.

CB

I've read reviews about cases where the purchaser actually wiped the inside of the case with a dryer sheet, or sprayed it with "Febreeze" because they "didn't like the glue fumes".

I only hope I mentally screamed NOOOOOOOOOO loudly enough to dissuade other readers from doing this.:-

If they only knew how many corrosive chems were in these products.........

I've never had a guitar damaged by a case, I thoroughly air them out b4 use.

I'll risk a few fumes, before i'll risk a REAL accident from not casing them.

I never put my axes in there cases. the worst biffs and nicks i've put on my guitars have come from the g*d Da** latches. Also' date=' out of sight out of mind. Stan.[/quote']

I live in such a humid, but dusty (yeah, I know, some combination) area, that if I don't case mine, the dust sticks to every piece of the guitar.....but ONLY about 1/16 " thick.......:-({|= .

Thats the main reason I case them.

I keep most of my guitars out so I can grab them at any time to play them

Any guitar shop has their stock on the wall and on stands to entice the customer. It can't hurt to keep them out on stands as long as they stay out of direct sunlight and the temp and humidity is within limits.

Cases are for going out of the house and for when little kids come to visit. When the kids are old enough to respect the hands off policy, they can learn to play. We have a 3 year old great nephew who I look forward to teaching. Then the guitars can stay out when he is here, and we can jam...GRIN.

CB' date=' no I haven't, but I haven't run the club scene in many years; I just get out every blue moon. Do you know where they play?[/quote']

No, I don't...unfortunately. Jack is an old guitar playing friend of mine, originally from Kansas, but

lives and plays in Nashville, now. Just thought (maybe) you might have stumble across his band,

now and then? Thanks, anyway...

CB

If you read the manuals that come with the guitars you will find that manufactures all recommend keeping your guitars in their cases when not in use. Here is a good read off the Martin Guitars Website and it is worth a look for all guitarists. I try to keep my storage room at 50% humidity and the temp in the 70's. I do this with a Dehumidifier as it is a finished basement setting. My new house uses oil heat so should it get too dry I have humidifiers as well. Once I recoup some of my finances in a couple of years I am going to investigate adding a whole house system so I don't have to mess with the individual De/humidifiers. Check out the PDF below:

http://www.mguitar.com/catalog/PDF/Care&Feeding.pdf

Archived