Gibson Brands Forums

semi-hollow help

mrsoul

If you can find the Lucille they still seem to be MIK at the moment. Try to find an I plant one. They are the next best in quality to the Peerless stuff from what I have seen.

Most of the Rivieras if you can find one seem to have come out of the Peerless plant and mine is as nice as my Elitist minus the premium plywood and electronics.

I have owned and played many Dots through the years. The Lucille I had briefly had better PUs or that plant wound them better. Can't tell you on a Sheri I have played them on and off but never bought one as they seemed like a fancy Dot to me but sounded the same as the Dot I tried in the same store.

Though others here will say different my experience with the sig models, Lucille and Jorma is that they put a bit more care into those than the stock line. It might be the more limited production numbers that allows that also.

Play them all and buy what works for you.

I've actually only owned an Epi Les (sold it) and an Epi Lucille (still have it)' date=' but I've tried out many Dots and Sheri's in stores. The Sheri neck seems closer to my Lucille than any Dot I've played, but as far as build quality you can't get much better than the Lucille (unless you venture into Elitist territory). Having said that, my opinion is that the Lucille seems closer (in overall feel) to a Les than a semi 335 style guitar. Even B.B. said it's like a "Les Paul's big brother", I have many semi's and full hollows and Lucille feels more like a big chambered Les than any of my 335's, not that that's a bad thing ! I can't say enough great things about the Epi Lucille though, I have an '06 Unsung model and the workmanship blows away any Gibson I've played in the past 10 years. [u']The best 335 style semi-hollow guitar I've ever played (and still own, btw) is my Washburn HB-35, just food for thought. [/u]

As always just $.02 though YMMV.

- Jay

I just bought one of these a couple of months ago and it's a beautiful instrument. Made in China, super quality & playability, wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.

I just bought one of these a couple of months ago and it's a beautiful instrument. Made in China' date=' super quality & playability, wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.[/quote']

Ditto, a really nice guitar and a real bargain ! That's another one with a fat neck, but fat in a good way, not a baseball bat just a nice feeling big neck.

- Jay

About 6 months ago, I found myself gassing hard for a semi-hollow. It took me a while to decide between the Sheraton and the Dot. In the end, I purchased a beautiful cherry (EE serial #) Dot, and couldn't be happier with my decision. I realize it wasn't on your list, but the Dot is a bit less expensive than those you were asking about, and they're great guitars too. Oh, and I wouldn't say I have big hands either, but the Dot's neck really didn't take much getting used to. It just dawned on me that lately I've been reaching for my Dot more than my GIbby R8 (which certainly does have a pretty beefy neck that also is not difficult for my wee little hands). Before you make a final decision, maybe you could see if a local shop has a Dot in stock to try out.

By the way, I really dig your username, mrsoul. =D>

Archived