Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Icon

Guitar Strings

I found out recently that I am allergic to Nickel. My Hands peel contantly. My Doctor told me it was because of my guitar strings ( they have nickel on them). Is there a type of string that is nickel free that does not sound like crap?

Chrome steel is an option. It sounds a little warmer and less bright. Stainless Steel is brighter and a really good sounding string that will wear your frets slighter faster than nickel. Of course, any string will wear your frets, especially if you play hard and use vibrato techniques.

I think Ron G's suggestion of Elixir strings is a good one. Elixir's coating prevents dirt and perspiration from getting into the coils and degrading the tone. They are bright and long lasting, but more costly, about twice as expensive, in fact. You might want to look at bulk packs if you can find them.

Also consider the coated/colored strings made by DR. I love to use the black beauties on my black guitars. They sound good and it looks cool. They are nickle but the coating wears off only where you pick.

Elderly has them the cheapest. LINK