Gibson Brands Forums

Help! Epi Valve Jr. combo vs. head + speaker

neptune2000

So I want to get a Valve Jr., but I need to decide whether to get the combo with 8" speaker or the head and 12" cabinet.

I like the small size and portability of a combo. I won't be gigging, though at some point I might play with another guitarist and possibly a drummer. I will be playing with a Pod XTLive. I play some of everything, though 85% of the time it will be: blues (beginner but really liking it!), 70s rock (Floyd/Zep/AC-DC/etc), 70s punk, metal. The combo is cheaper than the head/cab.

I'm leaning toward the combo. But I haven't had a decent amp in a long time, so I don't really want to sacrifice good sound if I can help it. Also I don't know too much about amps. How much of a difference do you all think buying one over the other will make?

Thanks guys (and gals?)!

I've owned both - had a Head/Cab (Version 1 with Bitmo Mods) - a Version 2 Combo (stock) and now have the NEWEST Version 3 Combo - they all sound fantastic. I bought the Combo as I have a 12" "homemade" cab and a 10" cab but I usually use it by itself - the 8" Eminence speaker in the V3 is GREAT! Puts out a wall of sound and you'd swear it's bigger than an 8". There are those that will argue that the 12" in the Head/Cab set is a better sounding - deeper - speaker but I'm not convinced - I love my Combo - it's loud - HOT and flat out RAWKS. IT'S ALL GOOD. This is my baby and I'm glad I settled for the combo as it's small, portable and with my Multi-Effects pedal (Korg) it's a whole night of fun!

I don't have the head and cabinet, so I can't comment on those. I do have the combo, and have run it thru an old EV12L, an old Utah, an old Carvin BR12, yeah I know it's all old stuff, all 12 inchers and a newer Fender 10 inch. The 8 inch Eminence really holds it's own. It sounds much bigger than an 8. We practice in a loft above a bar, with a long flight of stairs with turns and the combo is GREAT for portability and sound.

I play some of everything' date=' though 85% of the time it will be: blues (beginner but really liking it!), 70s rock (Floyd/Zep/AC-DC/etc), 70s punk, metal.[/quote']

IMO to maximize V3's potential for all of these genres (blues in particular) you're going to need more than one 8" speaker. So, even if you buy the combo you will want to add an extension cab. If so, have you saved any money?

The combo is good.

But I say the head/cab has greater overall flexibility (& a few $$ saved):

1. "Voice" your cab with just the right flavor speakers to give you your tone nirvana.

2. Grow into additional cab(s) if/when you choose (I use 2 - 2x12 and on occasion both together as a 4x12)

3. Once you have a cab(s) you can use it with any other amp head or combo, e.g. the VSr. one of these days.

4. Who ever said you can't gig with a head/cab -- I do it -- my friends do also -- and the 2 separate pieces each weigh less than many combos -- so basically, I've heard this argument many times but it has never made sense to me.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Thanks for the responses. I see that Guitar Center is selling the head + cabinet for $250, which is only $50 more than the combo (sweetwater doesn't have the cab). I will have to go to the store and see how much bigger/heavier the half stack is.

I also see that there's a Valve Jr. Hot Rod Head coming in 3 weeks ($220 at sweetwater vs. $200 for the Jr.) Is this pretty much a pre-modded Jr. (I notice it has an extra tube with gain and reverb)?

...The combo is good.

But I say the head gives much greater overall flexibility:

1. "Voice" your cab with just the right flavor speakers to give you your tone nirvana.

2. Grow into additional cab(s) if/when you choose (I use 2 - 2x12 and on occasion both together as a 4x12)

3. Once you have a cab(s) you can use it with any other amp head or combo' date=' e.g. the VSr. one of these days.

4. Who ever said you can't gig with a head/cab -- I do it -- my friends do also -- and the 2 separate pieces each weigh less than many combos -- so basically, I've heard this argument many times but it has never made sense to me...[/quote']

all that can be done with the combo too ya' know. Add cabs, change speakers (although the 8" in it sounds great) and I use my VJ speaker in my combo with other vintage tube amps too (I just tie into it and use the VJ as a cab instead of an amp).

I bet we won't see the Valve Seniors till sometime next year... just a guess based on a few dudes who pre-ordered them and have been getting the "run around" from Sweetwater on arrival dates (posts on other forums).

When I contacted Gibson about a month ago, they were saying Oct/Nov (if I recall correctly) and that probably reads next year. So I would have to agree with you, but I would think they would want to get them out for the Christmas holiday.

As for Sweetwater, I don't understand their inventory issues. I can understand items like this, but they have the same issues with existing released gear (small and large). It seems like everything I look at on their web page note "Worth the wait" and talks about their strong relationship with the manufacturer.

I'm a big advocate of Sweetwater, but I'm starting to wonder if they may have over extended their finances and only buy when some orders have accumulated.

When I contacted Gibson about a month ago' date=' they were saying Oct/Nov (if I recall correctly) and that probably reads next year. So I would have to agree with you, but I would think they would want to get them out for the Christmas holiday.

As for Sweetwater, I don't understand their inventory issues. I can understand items like this, but they have the same issues with existing released gear (small and large). It seems like everything I look at on their web page note "Worth the wait" and talks about their strong relationship with the manufacturer.

I'm a big advocate of Sweetwater, but I'm starting to wonder if they may have over extended their finances and only buy when some orders have accumulated. [/quote']

It's not Sweetwater it's Epi's problem getting things from China....this is nothing new it happened with valve jr heads and the speaker cabs in particular a while back.

It's not Sweetwater it's Epi's problem getting things from China....this is nothing new it happened with valve jr heads and the speaker cabs in particular a while back.

I hear (or read) what you are saying and no argument here, but it doesn't apply to just Epi gear, I am finding it on a number of items. However, you might have hit on something with your reference to China (or any of the oversea places). I know Washburn had and may still have issues with actually supplying any of the overseas items, primarily China (which may be their only overseas location these days). It may be production delays and possibly the energy issues. All I know is I've never seen so much "Worth the wait" notices at Sweetwater as I have in the past couple of months.

But back to our normally scheduled programming. I never had the head and cab, but I have NO issue with the combo. When I eventually get speakers for the cab I am converting, I plan on using that with the combo. My combo has 8 ohm and 16 ohm hook-up capability and I'm looking forward to adding a cab. I guess for me it will be nice to have the cab at home, but be able to just haul the combo to a friends house when I want to jam.

I've got both the head/cab and combo (V3). And the head/cab does have a bit more

volume and lower end, but that takes nothing away from the combo. It's great equipment

in it's own right. Good tone in a small package and for those who think the head/cab

may be a bit loud for bedroom practice the combo takes the edge off that. The combo responds

just as well to my POD as the head/cab does and the thing I really like is i don't have to

retweak my POD like i have to plugging into other amps (that gets to be a pain in the rear

after awhile). If you hae the money get the head/cab, but for someone on a serious budget you

can't go wrong with the combo.

The cab functions as a head' date=' get it now, and get a 2x12 or 4x12 when you enter a band setting.[/quote']

You mean the combo, right?

Anyway, I'll go check them out at GC on Monday (assuming they have them), and look at the size/weight difference (and hopefully be able to play on one or both, though I probably won't crank it). There's only a $50 difference (coulda sworn it was more a few weeks ago).

Thanks for the help. Does the combo have the same impedance output as the head (4/8/16 ohm)?

Archived