Gibson Brands Forums

firebird vs. les paul

fenrirlupus

i have nothing really to compare the tone by (seeing as i don't actually have either guitar, and no local dealers carry epiphone or gibson)

so i'd like to ask

which one has higher sustain

which one is brighter/darker warmer... etc...

and anything else you can think of...

oh, and are any advantages/ disadvantages to neck thru that i need to know about

(i won't be making a purchase any time soon, btw, but i'd still like to know)

Consider the actual construction of the current Epiphone Firebird.

The Firebird Studio does not have the traditional (and essential) neck-through design of the original Gibson Firebird. It also has full-sized humbuckers, rather than the mini-hums. This essentially makes the current Firebird Studio little more than a Firebird-shaped G-400.

Now if you're talking Gibson Les Paul Stanadard vs. Gibson Firebird V, those are two totally different animals. to get a sense for what a Firebird can do, google up some videos of Johnny Winter. Warren Haynes (Gov't Mule, Allman Brothers, etc) also plays a couple of Firebirds. He might be a good example to find on YouTube since he plays both a 58 Les Paul and vintage Firebirds. You'll hear them both through the same rig and used by the same hands, so it'll be a decent comparison.

Ditto on everyone's comments- totally different animals if comparing Firebird VII vs LP Standard...

The only reason i haven't gigged my firebird because it's too neck heavy for my taste...

Ultimately, choose one now and get the other one down the road... cause after getting the one,

it's inevitable you'll gas for the other...

I've got a gibby firebird and with a leather strap (rough on the under side) and i have no prob. I do wear it low so that might have some thing to do with it. Its my fav it the moment. And I notice I never take both hands off of any guitar i'm playing, must be force of habit. You'll never drop one that way. Stan.

Archived