Gibson Brands Forums

I was wrong about the Epi Valve jr

jman99

I disapointed with my V2 jr and it's mid heavy tone. Well after a using multi effects unit to get the eq/verb the way I like and decent tubes (plus a bad monkey), it sounds great for the $80 I paid for it.

Makes me question do these really need mods when a cheap multi effects in front of them does wonders.

I thought the same thing when I got my first v2 VJr. Then I installed a new Hammond 125DSE output transformer in a friend's v2 VJr. That's all it took to convince me. Now I have 5 of these little buggers to play with.

For a v2 (or v1) VJr amp, the biggest bang for the buck you can get is with a better OT. And it's one of the easiest mods you can do for the amp.

Gil...

Absolutely! The improvement will be HUGE and worth every penny! The tone will be a whole lot fatter with tons more definition from top to bottom. Think it's good now? Wait'll you hear what you're missing!

However, it should be stated that the v2 VJr OT is not very efficient. Most of the better OT's are very efficient; so, swapping the OT will increase the voltage available to the tube. If your AC voltage runs 120v+, the power tube is already running too hot and worse, it's biased too hot on top of that! A new OT will make that problem worse, but it only requires a few resistors to fix.

Gil...

I will back you up that some pedals in front of the Valve Junior make a huge difference. I have an RP350 and it really opens the amp up and has a volume pedal that I use constantly. The flip side of this is if you do mod the VJr. the tones are much rounder and in your face, the way an amp is supposed to sound. It's all good though and all about enjoying your sound.

That's pretty typical for a new amp. It'll take about 100 hours of pounding to break in a new speaker. New caps can take 100 hours of power to burn in and properly "form"; but you can simply leave the amp on for a week to take care of that. But a speaker's just gotta be played and that's all there is to it. I use an FM radio to feed the amp a signal, and then I leave the house for a while. :D

That will take care of some of it, but we have ways of easily dealing with the rest. Cap swap!

Gil...

I got this speaker break-in procedure from the Celestion Web Site. I just used it to break in a pair of Vintage 30's for my Traynor YBA-1 cabinet and also used it for the VJr cab. I also used it on a pair of reconed 12" EV SRO's in my silverface Twin. It works. The primary before/after difference after 15 minutes with this procedure is that most of the mud goes away. My only suggestion/addition to this procedure is to use a different amp than the VJr to do the speaker break-in if you have another amp. Loud, clean, heavy is what you are after for speaker break-in.

######

How do I break in my speakers?

Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to "warm up" the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.

Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.

Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for 10-15 minutes using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time.

#####

Greg

Archived