Gibson Brands Forums

my g400 bites not sucks.

Stevie Nazarenie

at times i've been so so on my g400. looks great but i wanted more from the pickups. and the dodgy switch got on my nerves. i finally bit the bullet and bought some parts from a well known cheapy place and i'm playing with a new vigour. a great little upgrade. it's wine red with black power rails and a black switch. the cleans are good too. i think it is a bit quieter also. i did change the 2 volume pots to alphas as they were dodgy also. i raised the action slighty as i was getting some buzz. i actually don't mind it a bit higher. which is a surprise. my final trick was to move the rythem/ treble thing to under the nut on the top of the guitars jackplug as it covers the cracks i have there and adds some strength. i will use a big washer when i find one.

only negative is why even though i have alpha pots does the guitar buzz worse WHEN you turn the volume down? ihave afew guitars that do this. what can be done? all in all a nicer guitar. far more gibson than epi.

a jacksonish sound. a bit of a mid scoop. you can add this on the amp though. these pickups are not as dedicated to metal as much as the crunchy rails. i didn't want to go to far though. i can turn the gain down on the amp to halfway and still have enough sustain for lead work which is what i wanted. the cleans are good too. better on the g400 than the standard pickups. they suit the thin body to get all the extra you need. a worthwhile upgrade for the g400 and cheap too.

sometimes room lights, or other electrical appliances on the same circuit will cause amp buzz at low volume.

at home, mine was plugged into a wall that also had lights with a dimmer switch on them, & the buzz was monstrous when the lights were on.

try your guitar with the lights off and see if it goes away.............

you may have to plug in to a different outlet if it does, or use different lighting.

Archived