Gibson Brands Forums

cleanest tube upgrade

schotness

I'm looking for the cleanest tube upgrade I can do to v2 junior, I'm not too bothered about it sounding sterile or lifeless Cos i intend to use the junior as a platform for a modeling pedal & mic input, perhaps drum machine too to match my friends medium volume accoustic combo. Of course it would be nice if it still broke up after about 3 o clock, but thats not absolutely necessary. it would be nice if the tubes were easily available in the UK as well.

Thanks

Both the 12AY7 and the 5751 are good choices,but adding negative feedback is a really important mod to get the cleanest tones out of your amp. A hammond output transformer will also make a world of difference in a version 2 for clean tones. With just a tube swap try the lowest gain option 12AY7 first. I'd actually consider selling your version 2 to a modder and buying either a version 3 or a blackheart instead of doing all of the upgrades unless you enjoy the modding aspect of it which some of us do. The blackheart has a few advantages over the jr right out of the box for your application IMHO because you have more control over the gain structure and tone shaping,although I think the cranked lead tone is better on the valve jr.....thast doesn't sound like what you want to use it for.

Archived