Gibson Brands Forums

Shops not supplying Epiphone or Gibson anymore

MMeazey

The few shops in our area that carry epiphone deal with an authorized distributor who sells to the shops on a onesy-twosy basis . It's interesting that most shops don't carry Epiphones for that reason. They will order and match the online delaer prices for a particular model, if the distributor has the one you want.

I tried to order Goldie from my local music shop. He was making a trip to Nashville to check out a college with his son and would be going by the distributor while he was there. Of course, they didn't have a 56 Goldtop, so I ended up ordering online. It is a shame that Epiphones aren't available to mom and pop shops, but that's the way the business is and has been since the early 90's. There are Fenders all over the place, but no Epis and Gibbys. Their are 5 GC stores in Atlanta, but the closest is 60 miles. AT $4 a gallon, it's a $35 trip for gas. I can get it delivered to my door in 2 days cheaper than that, but no try before you buy.

Not sure if theres any truth to it, but a local "Mom-n-Pop"shop owner told me a while back that to remain an

"authorized Gibson dealer", the minimum order went up from $10,000 to (I think it was) $20,000 per order.

This is why he's no longer a Gibson dealer, but has filled all those empty slots with Epi's.

I use GC myself.......no better selection in my area to "test drive".

It sounds as if there is no new UK distributor yet to replace Rosetti, and UK dealers are being supplied from mainland Europe. It's getting hard for small retailers to stock a range of Epis or Gibsons, unless they have internet businesses too, like GAK, Reidys. Here in UK there is no equivalent to GC, so it's hard to try a range of guitars before you buy. 5 out of my 7 current guitars were bought on the www. You just need to make sure they have a good Returns policy. I've had very good service from both GAK and Reidys.

Sad as it is, I think everyone here has touched on parts of the dilemma.

The days of the small independent store owner are comming to, if not already at, a close.

When is the last time you bought a screwdriver from your local hardware store? If you live around a medium to large city, they have all been put out of business by Lowe's, Home Depot, or something like them. A few small towns may still have local shops. Face it, it is only because the big inventory stores haven't got around to them yet.

Reminds me of the Silvester Stallone movie. "After the burger wars, all restaurants changed their names to Toco Bell".

Makes me wonder if "someday" all stores will be called...Buy it here or do without.

Its just so annoying... I'm buying a Trans Amber Les Paul Standard Plus from www.guitarvillage.co.uk. I have heard that its a great place to buy from but I have always got that nervousnous that its going to arrive and its not what i like! I just would rather try before i buy.

They will order and match the online delaer prices for a particular model, if the distributor has the one you want.

None of my local shops won't order any Epi's or Gibby's in :D

Gibson makes their distributors buy large quantities. A lot of small shops can't afford to be shaken down like this.

So how come they can afford 10+ PRS's and Strats costing over £1300!? :-k

So how come they can afford 10+ PRS's and Strats costing over £1300!? :D

well the actual cost of a MIM or MIJ Fender strat might be lower.. you have to rember that the price we see is retail... and the shops dont own them for retail... so if they have 10 strats at 200.00 a peice thats only 2000.00 US money.. ( im not sure about your currency ) as far as a usa made strat im sure the cost is no where close the the retail so owning some us strats for 600-800.00 still is not that bad to own.

Was wondering why some smaller shops aren't supplying any Gib or Epi anymore?

Look at the responses - this is not just a UK problem' date=' but I have found it an increasing problem. The small traditional music shop I've ordered three or four Epis, and a Gibson, from in the past just can't get Epis now. They can sell them, but it seems that not only do Gibson require bulk orders way beyond the means of a small independent dealer, they expect [i']regular[/i] orders of this size too. You either have to go to other brands for an equivalent model, or order on-line and unseen. Neither option is much help if you want an Epi and want to browse before you buy. I've ordered on-line from well-known dealers (GAK for example) and found them OK, but none of this is for the benefit of the player is it?

Bob

Was wondering why some smaller shops aren't supplying any Gib or Epi anymore? Something to do with gibson changing distribution. Anyone know anymore?

Whilst im on the subject of shops' date=' anyone know whats happened to Sound Control in the UK?[/quote'] A few month's back a local music store was going out of business and having a big sale and me and my brother went in to see what they had left and i noticed they didn't have any Epi's or gibby's so i asked if they did. The owner said that they stopped dealing w/Gibson a couple of years back because Gibson wouldn't let him order what he wanted, they tried to TELL him that he had to buy at a minimum dollar amount that he said was too much for the smaller shop, said he couldn't afford to do it. That's why he stopped dealing w/Gibson. I must say that Gibson is NOT the reason he shut the doors, the economy was the reason.

AH I see. Strange how gibson make people buy a minimum amout. Surely they want as much business as possible. Especially how economy is at the moment...
I agree. One would think that Gibson would be happy that a business would want to sell thier produc and then turn around and tell them that you have to buy X amount or nothing. I don't get it, but then again i didn't go to business school.

There is only one place that I know of in Ithaca to get a Gibson: Rumbleseat Music. You'll pay alot too, 'cos it's a vintage store. Like a museum. Nobody else carries Gib or Ep unless they took a trade in. There is one other store here that I have yet to go to, but I don't think they sell Gibson brand either, from their store frontage.

I find that very strange, given the HUGE number of gigs that happen here and the surrounding areas. This is a musician saturated area, and if they could be sold anywhere, I would think it would be here. Hell, the economy doesn't even suck here. Yet atleast. We have Cornell and Ithaca College insulating the entire area with jobs and out of town dollars being sucked into the local economy(in Cornell's case-exhorbitant tuitions too-sing to the tune of $50,000 a semester) a thriving downtown business climate etc etc. But you can't buy a new Epiphone or Gibson. Wierd. Maybe Gibson is trying to become a mail order company only?

Not sure if theres any truth to it' date=' but a local "Mom-n-Pop"shop owner told me a while back that to remain an

"authorized Gibson dealer", the minimum order went up from $10,000 to (I think it was) $20,000 per order.

This is why he's no longer a Gibson dealer.............[/quote'] I heard the same story from my local, knowledgeable (seemingly) mom'n'pop shop - can't recall the $$$ amounts, but that sounds similar to what he said. They sell a lot of different used guitars, but I think he carries Fender/Squire, at least for electrics .... and am unsure as to how much business they actually do in Fenders - lot's o' Squiers in the window. Big business sucks, but ..... don't worry, in the not to distant future, you'll be able to buy a Chinese car at your local WalMart :D fwiw

With the internet' date=' there are literally hundreds of places to buy a Gibson or Epiphone; even in a small town, even in Ithaca.[/quote']

Definitely.

That's how I did it actually, with 3 of them. My SG, Wildkat and Sheraton all came from MF. So the obstacle can certainly be overcome. But it would have been nice to test drive and maybe try a few of the same model to get the "best one". I remember those good old days of even just a few years ago. Plus, it's nice to go to the shops and just check things out, even if you aren't buying that day. Tough to do from the internet if that's your only option.

It is cool that MF allows youto send it back with no questions asked-it doesn't need a flaw to justify it. If you( or I) don't like the feel of it, we can send it back. But would be nice to not spend the time waiting on shipment and worrying about it too.

It's all less user friendly then it once was. But in the end, your point is well taken- the guitar can still be gotten! And that is the bottom line.

Sound Control went into administration and have been taken over by Professional Music Technology(PMT).

As I understand it some branches have closed but the store in Norwich is still open

Yeah, Professional Music Technology bought three of the Sound Control stores and a lot of the rest of them were closed. A LOT of people lost a huge amount of money through not getting their deposits back.

As for Epi distribution, well its been going on all year. They used to be distributed through Rosetti, but then changed distributors to Gibson Europe and this has caused all kind of trouble. Each time I ask, I get told that it will be sorted in a month or so... I first asked in March.

Like the other guys say, online is the best bet. Just make sure they have the guitar in stock before typing in your card details. If the biggest musical instrument supplier in the UK can go into administration, then so can a lot of others.....

But you run the risk of getting a fake.
I've never quoted myself in here before but what i meant is legit dealers like GC,MF,sweetwater etc you have no worries. I was surfing on e-bay looking for the Marshall Slash amp he did a few yrs. ago and this guy had a 100 % rating and he was selling a 08 Epi. Slash Sig., but i think it's fake because the case is not the one that comes w/guitar. I don't think i would buy a guitar off e-bay because i've read of people getting burned. I beleive there is a post in here not too long ago.

Ah, the "Good Old Days!" I remember going into "Johnny Smith Music" on South 8th Street, in Colorado Springs,

in the mid '60's, when I was looking at buying a guitar. Johnny (Yes, THE Johnny Smith) was not only willing to

let you try out a guitar, he insisted on it, so you'd get the RIGHT one, for YOU! Right neck,

Right Size, Right Feel/Tone, etc. That kind of service is all but GONE! He carried only the High End Gibson & Guild

guitars, plus a Les Paul Custom, now and then...he was (primarily) a Jazz guitar shop, but he'd order anything

he could get, for you. It's funny, too...because of the type shop, his kindness, and helpfulness (as well as his fame)

...I never saw anyone handle any of his stock, with less than the utmost care. Certainly not like the stock in the Mega Stores!

(My worst looking guitar, is probably better than most that are hanging on those walls.) ;>b I for one, miss the "little shop

around the corner," and the service that went with it. Maybe the pricing wasn't quite as "cheap" as the Mega stores, but

it was always fair, and the service made up for any pricing difference...not only at the sale, but after as well. On line stores

are (essentially) Warehouse sellers! Sweetwater is the best IMHO, or certainly one of the best! But, there's nothing like

being able to pick out your actual guitar, in person!

CB

Archived