Gibson Brands Forums

Valensi Riviera P94

leicester35

Has anyone had any experiences with this guitar? (I mean the standard one, which seems to sell for $699.99 - not the earlier Elitist variant).

274_01.jpg

(See: http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=274&CollectionID=1)

I ask, because I have long been interested in the thought of buying a Sheraton, and then replacing the Epi humbuckers with Gibson P94s. Buying this guitar instead would certainly be a cheaper option.

I'm not a huge Strokes fan to be honest...and I've never been crazy about signature guitars, so some cosmetic changes would certainly be on the cards (swap the p/guard for a white pearlized...replace the "Valensi" TRC with a standard Epiphone "e"). Still...a heckuva lot cheaper than buying two new P94s and having them fitted.

I notice that Sweetwater haven't had one in stock recently, but they're supposedly on the way. Has anyone here actually played one of these yet?

I have this guitar and let me tell you. Its amazing... I mean epi could easily sell it for over a grand. Only complaints are the selector switch doesn't turn the neck pickup on too well sometimes. I would pick this over a gibson es335 any day. Or any other semi hollow. My gibson sg rarely gets played anymore :)

now for some pics

100_0924.jpg

riviera-1.jpg

Im also a huge strokes fan too btw : D I can also take more pictures if you want

I have this guitar and let me tell you. Its amazing... I mean epi could easily sell it for over a grand. Only complaints are the selector switch doesn't turn the neck pickup on too well sometimes. I would pick this over a gibson es335 any day. Or any other semi hollow. My gibson sg rarely gets played anymore :-#

now for some pics

100_0924.jpg

riviera-1.jpg

Im also a huge strokes fan too btw : D I can also take more pictures if you want

Nice guitar, now I got GAS again. I have a couple of P-90 guitars.

Are the P-94s quiet, or do hum like P-90s?

Is the guitar a hollow body or semi hollowbody?

Thanks

Im not totally sure where its made. I just believe that its made alongside most of epiphone's other models. But yeah im really loving this guitar. Sounds, looks, and plays wonderful. I used to have a sheraton but this is much better in my opinion. The neck feels like....wide but thin. Kinda gibson like you could say? i dunno. But heres some more pictures if your interested

100_0964.jpg

100_0965.jpg

100_0967.jpg

I think you are right Charlie Brown. From the Gibson website,

P-94

The P-94 is a unique combination that provides the best of both worlds - the classic Gibson P-90 sound in a traditional humbucker-size housing. Replacing a humbucker with the P-94 requires no routing or other damaging modifications to the guitar.

The P-94 features uses the same enamel coated vintage wire and Alnico V magnets as the P-90 and comes in calibrated neck and bridge models for balanced output - or combine the P-94 with an existing humbucker for unique tonal combinations.

The P-94 has higher output and sustaining qualities than traditional single-coil pickups giving it plenty of bite when needed, with enough responsiveness to allow subtle nuances for enhanced dynamics.

So it seems it is just a p-90 in a different form factor so that it fits in a humbucker space with no modification.

I like that model myself.

I like the frequensator tailpiece.

I'd probably replace the TRC with a black one (the E would be fine) but I'd leave the black Pickguard on it. I think the black PG goes well with the P94s, and headstock. I'd take the E off the PG though.

I have to quit coming here. I'm geting a bad case of GAS =P~

Notes

Archived