Gibson Brands Forums

1966 G400

AC4everDC

I'm getting a 1966 epiphone g400 reissue soon and I was wondering if anyone on the forum has one. If anyone does, can you tell me what you think of it and possibly post some pictures of it. I'm 13 and I know it is a decent guitar and probably one of the best epiphone sgs.

I'm getting a 1966 epiphone g400 reissue soon and I was wondering if anyone on the forum has one. If anyone does' date=' can you tell me what you think of it and possibly post some pictures of it. I'm 13 and I know it is a decent guitar and probably one of the best epiphone sgs. [/quote']I have one. I bought it because I was playing the LP Custom so much, the gold plate was wearing off the bridge. Plus, I always worried about damage when I took it out somewhere. The '66 is really nice, though I'm not crazy about the plastic (or graphite?) nut. The strings don't bind however, and tonally the difference is inaudible. It's totally functional, I just like the look of bone. I intend to replace the pups at some point, but the stock ones sound good for now. It sounds the same as my Custom (when the middle pickup is off), so it's a good one for taking out of the house without too many worries. The Heritage Cherry finish and wood grain look great. I like it a lot, I'm sure you will too. I only have one pic of it though:

SG_Pair.jpg

yeah i have one its a really good guitar. i think they were discontinued though werent they?

They're back, at least online at GC/m123/mf. I've called one GC brick and morter and they didn't have them.

Those of you who already have them, which factory did yours come from (I realize they're from a previous run)?

That's afimative! None to be seen in person anywhere in Vegas (two GC's and a Sam Ash were checked). I'm thinking of going for the silverburst model myself. I'd love to see/play it first, but I think I'll go for it nevertheless. I'll post a pic if I do.

MIDI

That's afimative! None to be seen in person anywhere in Vegas (two GC's and a Sam Ash were checked). I'm thinking of going for the silverburst model myself. I'd love to see/play it first' date=' but I think I'll go for it nevertheless. I'll post a pic if I do.

MIDI[/quote']

I was just at GC, saw a Gibson Robot in silverburst. It looked pretty sweet, but different than the picture I've seen of the Epi SG in silverburst.

Tried another GC, they didn't have it in stock either. I went and played a "normal" G-400 fresh out of the box. It was okay, the neck "squeeked" a bit when I bent notes.

Not being able to see one in person, can anyone speak to how the heritage cherry of the 1966 compares to the Cherry of the standard G-400? Color, amount of wood grain showing?

Thanks!

Archived