Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Admin: Volute on Lifeson 355

alpine

Hey Wondo

I'm building my own Axcess you should do the same, I just ordered all the parts for it This way I get what I want. The color, neck size, wood type, frets. all that will be missing is the Gibson name.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning i finally got a chance to look at the whitewood neck Memphis is using as a template for the AL, and to compare that sample to an unfinished AL (i believe it was AL219). the volute is in the same location on both necks, and in the same place that several of you have mentioned as being incorrect.

Unfortunately, i never got a look at the prototypes, so i am left to assume that, based upon the neck template i saw, this is how the protos are as well, and that Alex approved the guitar as we are making it.

I'm sorry for the delay on getting this info to those of you that have concerns.

Thank you for the info, Admin. While the volute position does seem strange from a structural point of view, if it was approved by Mr. Lifeson then it's certainly good enough for me.

Some clarification of the reason for the inverted trem arm handle would still be welcome though.

Thank you for the info' date=' Admin. While the volute position does seem strange from a structural point of view, if it was approved by Mr. Lifeson then it's certainly good enough for me.

Some clarification of the reason for the inverted trem arm handle would still be welcome though. [/quote']

i asked Memphis about this too and didn't get a response...honestly, i think this is just a case of someone in Memphis installing the arm tip wrong. Alex's original is certainly not like that.

I sent them the photo you posted when i inquired, so hopefully they've corrected this.

i asked Memphis about this too and didn't get a response...honestly' date=' i think this is just a case of someone in Memphis installing the arm tip wrong. Alex's original is certainly not like that.

I sent them the photo you posted when i inquired, so hopefully they've corrected this.[/quote']

If it is wrong and they are now correcting it, what about us that have the wrong arm? Do we get the correct one, or do we send it back to have it corrected, or do we go out and buy an after market arm? I thought I was okay with the stock arm, but it is starting to leave indentations on the binding where it rests.

This morning i finally got a chance to look at the whitewood neck Memphis is using as a template for the AL' date=' and to compare that sample to an unfinished AL (i believe it was AL219). the volute is in the same location on both necks, and in the same place that several of you have mentioned as being incorrect.

Unfortunately, i never got a look at the prototypes, so i am left to assume that, based upon the neck template i saw, this is how the protos are as well, and that Alex approved the guitar as we are making it.

I'm sorry for the delay on getting this info to those of you that have concerns.[/quote']

Can you post a picture of this whitewood neck Memphis s using as a template?

If it is wrong and they are now correcting it' date=' what about us that have the wrong arm? Do we get the correct one, or do we send it back to have it corrected, or do we go out and buy an after market arm? I thought I was okay with the stock arm, but it is starting to leave indentations on the binding where it rests.[/quote']

i wasn't talking about the arm itself, just the tip. Another poster posted a picture of an arm installed with the white tip upside down...that's all i was talking about correcting.

i wasn't talking about the arm itself' date=' just the tip. Another poster posted a picture of an arm installed with the white tip upside down...that's all i was talking about correcting. [/quote'].

Can we then get the tips installed correctly, or new arms with correct tips sent?

if you can tell me how to do that...

Click on the picture icon when posting a reply. It is the icon with the mountains and sun. When this comes up in the typing area' date=' it will have "[img'] " inserted where you are typing. You need to then insert a link where the picture is hosted between these two img brackets. You can host the image at photobucket.com for free.

An easier and quicker way to do this is to email the picture and I will post it here on the forum. That could be done in a matter of minutes.

Thanks.

Re. the maestro arm, I take it one would approach the original dealer and submit the incorrect arm for replacement? No big deal really, if that's the case.

Would flipping the trem arm tip around to the correct position be possible to do as a DIY job perhaps? I'm not sure how it's secured onto the arm.

is your like the one pictured in this thread?

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=4942

if so' date=' i would think we could get you fixed up, yes.[/quote']

Yes, it is like the one on the AL pictured here. However, this would not solve the problem. The arm is wrong as well. If you turn the arm around it sticks up way to high when back by the tailpiece and the case will not close on the guitar without depressing the arm thus knocking the guitar out of tune. As soon as I saw pictures at NAMM, I posted concern about this arm.

Yes' date=' it is like the one on the AL pictured here. However, this would not solve the problem. The arm is wrong as well. If you turn the arm around it sticks up way to high when back by the tailpiece and the case will not close on the guitar without depressing the arm thus knocking the guitar out of tune. As soon as I saw pictures at NAMM, I posted concern about this arm.[/quote']

i remember your original post, but the arm is what it is and is not going to change. that's how they all are.

if you are interested in getting one with the tip correctly installed, we can do that.

Re. the maestro arm' date=' I take it one would approach the original dealer and submit the incorrect arm for replacement? No big deal really, if that's the case.

Would flipping the trem arm tip around to the correct position be possible to do as a DIY job perhaps? I'm not sure how it's secured onto the arm.[/quote']

Yes you can flip the tip around I did it on mine.

it's easy to move. just place the handle in a rag and hold it and put a screwdriver in the hole on the end and gave it a turn.

If you keep doing this you can push the handle on more and more so it will not hang over the body

I just now turned the tip around. It is actually quite easy to do. Grab a pair of plyers and use a soft cloth around the screw housing, then use your and and twist around until it is right side up. Unfortunately, this is the result:

DSCN0284.jpg

If all that Gibson will do is turn the tip around, it is not going to work. You need to buy an after market arm that is actually made like the originals. These will fit.

I just now turned the tip around. It is actually quite easy to do. Grab a pair of plyers and use a soft cloth around the screw housing' date=' then use your and and twist around until it is right side up. Unfortunately, this is the result:

[img']http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb206/RareFormMusic/DSCN0284.jpg[/img]

If all that Gibson will do is turn the tip around, it is not going to work. You need to buy an after market arm that is actually made like the originals. These will fit.

Turning the tip around makes the trem arm now like all the other Maestro arms, and that's what I was getting at in my original post - not the basic design of the arm, but simply that it was assembled incorrectly. If it's that easy to fix, then it's really a non-issue IMO. The above picture now looks exactly like the NAMM show guitar.

Wondo, does the case now close ok when the trem tip is correctly fitted and the arm is rotated towards the rear of the guitar like that? It looks like it would..

I feel for you guys. Brand new CS guitars and you're having to do mods on them to correct them . I feel very fortunate to have three Gibson CS guitars that are impeccable . Sincerely hope it works out for all who bought this model .

Archived