Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Admin: Volute on Lifeson 355

alpine

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bought the replacement arm for something like $26. I put it on and it looks perfect. The case closes with no issues with the arm positioned the same way Alex does his.

TurkeyT. Where did you get the arm? I am going to order one. The one I got from guitarpartsresource did not work to well.

i dont own a AL-335, nor do i want one, nor do i lke rush (well a little i guess but not much)

it is sickning to me that a guitar that recieved so much hype, could have such a huge flaw in its design

granted we all make mistakes, im a baseball umpire (so ive never made a mistake) but with gibson usa's QC seeming more and more non-exsistant everyweek, you would think the custom shop could hold itself to a higher standard

sorry if im coming off harsh, but it blows my mind.

ok rant over

=D

And you bent the arm where it joins the screw housing? (not in the middle)

It was aliitle of both, the arm came with a nice bend up in the middle of the arm. I just worked the arm straight. It did bend abit at the base but not much. I didn't want to chip the gold plating.

I was at the Rush show last night in Toronto (at the Molson Amphitheatre) and I had a good look at the back of both of Alex's ES-355's. My buddy and I had floor seats in section 102 and as we entered the floor section from stage right (Alex's side) I walked by Alex's guitar rack and immediately stopped and took notice of all the guitars he had with him on tour. All the guitars in the rack had the backs facing me and of course I honed right in on the white Gibson's and low-and-behold....the volute's on each guitar ARE different. The new ES-355 was also numberless....meaning, no AL001 on the back. Looks like 300 and 1 were made after all.

Alex played his new ES-355 during the first set when he played the Trees. It didn't have his name on the truss rod cover and the trem arm sticks out past the body of the guitar as well. The pickguard was also removed. His original ES-355 made it's grand appearance during the encore. What a beauty and I can see why Alex call's it his baby!

So basically Alex and the rest of us have pretty much the same guitar. The tremolo arm sticks out past the end of the guitar body and the volute is cut no different than on mine. Makes me think that maybe Alex wanted it that way? He seemed kinda busy on stage at the time so I really couldn't ask him.

By-the-way, the show last night was killer. Close to 16,000 people showed up and it sure did sound like it. The crowd was great and Rush were on top of their game again. :-k My 28th show and counting since 1981.

I was at the concert in Toronto too... though we had seats up in the 400's. The guitar is sure sweet and my buddies were saying that alex was playing "my" guitar...lol My brother is a bassist and has both a Ricky 4001 and a geddy lee signature jazz.

First saw Rush when I was 8 years old on the Signals tour. Last night was my 13th show...(once each tour for new albums and twice on test for echo and twice on snakes and arrows)

I wonder if anyone has talked to Alex and asked about the guitar and see what he says.

I was at the show in Saratoga last Saturday (they were phenomenal of course!!!!) and contrary to what you had witnessed 1meanmalibu, Alex used his original (I'm pretty certain) for "The Trees" and the new one during the encore. Could you tell which way the bend in the trem arm was on them? On the original, was it pointing upwards, or towards the Tailpiece as seen in Crappy's photos?

Thanks,

AL 028

Greetings AL 028,

I wonder then if Alex likes to mix it up a bit when he plays his original ES-355 and his new one. Either way it's always a treat when that particular guitar makes an appearance. It was also great to see Alex play his "Howard Roberts" during "The Way the Wind Blows". That would make for a nice signature model don't you think? I wonder if Alex will ever play his old ES-335's live on stage again.

In regards to the tremolo arms on both ES-355's, the new ES-355's trem arm seemed rather straight and rested tight against the tailpiece. It's also longer with the end of the arm sticking out past the body of the guitar. The original had that slight bend towards the tailpiece and it too rested snug against the tailpiecel. I wish there was more input from Gibson on why certain decisions were made to make the new guitar slighty different. I don't really mind the changes, I'm more curious why certain things were done that way, that's all. I'm sure Alex could fill us in. Does anyone have his number?:-s

I hope that helps,

1meanmalibu (AL 122)

Hey 1meanmalibu,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated and it did help. It's difficult to tell from most pictures I've seen of Alex with either his old or new 355, which direction the bend is on the arm. I had to return mine to Gibson because the "Gibson" etching on the Tailpiece was incomplete and the only way the arm would fit is if it was installed upside down (bend towards the body of the Guitar and the end of the plastic handle pointing upwards). In addition to them replacing the Tailpiece, I requested that they install a bar that would fit correctly and they gave me the one where the bend is towards the Tailpiece (much like the one Crappy purchased) and is the same length as Alex's original 355. The bar fits perfectly, but if it's not an exact replica of Alex's, I'd prefer to return it. Like you, I'd like to know why Gibson made the choices they made as well, especially since they advertise that it's "a painstaking recreation of this iconic instrument."

Must be that he likes to mix it up with them and I feel the same that it is a treat to see him using either one. The night that I saw them, he used 5 Les Pauls (his Goldtop sounded just unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!), his Howard Roberts, as you pointed out and of course both 355s. I was actually pleasantly surprised to see him use the HR and that would make a nice Alex signature model as well. With regard to his old 335, I believe he retired that one from the road a long time ago, when it was damaged while they were on tour.

Thanks again for the response,

AL 028

template-1.jpg

I still do not understand if they are all made with an incorrect Volute , and messed up trem arms , why it is

" Proper " , " Accurate " , " O.K. for those who purchased them ( The long awaited guitar )only to discover the useless in the way Volute & Trem arm (tip)" , and why would anyone , Including Alex approve of a design that gets in the way of your thumb when playing chords on the first frett .

So the " bare NECK " is the same as the others . Well if they are all incorrect , does that make them correct.

I cannot really think of any way to explain without using the " apples to oranges analogy " but , think about the history of any guitar and this is the first one that I have heard of that has the Volute in the WRONG place , and

includes an incorrect Trem arm that you have to get replaced . If players try to make their neck more comfortable they usually sand the back of it down , or keep it reall clean until it wears to comfort . I cannot think of anyone

making a guitar neck better by placing a " Piece of Wood " sticking out of the back of the neck , between the first and second fret . It makes No sense whatsoever . There is a flaw , somewhere someone messed up . I don't believe Alex would approve of such a bumb in the neck , I do not care if it is anywhere ON the " THUMB PLAYING SURFACE " , that is what it is all about .

Did Alex approve of the prototype , that perhaps was correct ? Then someone in quality control did not check the making of the necks/volutes for the customers line of instruments. I must say if you send a wrong trem arm , people can BUY or BEND it to make it right . Well I can't make the Volute correct . I can't send the guitar back either.

As happy as I am to have an Inspired by Alex , along with VOS , which was in the add , Yes gibson removed the word VOS in the advertisement to " DO ANOTHER FIX " but I already bought the guitar . I love Rush and Alex's playing . Yet that does not RIGHT a WRONG . There is truly a disservice that was done to , well at least me , right ?

I bought it online and can't return it . Nor get my cash back . So why am I so bad and wrong when the item I purchased was not as described " VOS " mistake or NOT , wrong trem arm ,and a piece of wood that gets in my way ? WHY ?

I still do not understand if they are all made with an incorrect Volute ' date=' and messed up trem arms , why it is

" Proper " , " Accurate " , " O.K. for those who purchased them ( The long awaited guitar )only to discover the useless in the way Volute & Trem arm (tip)" , and why would anyone , Including Alex approve of a design that gets in the way of your thumb when playing chords on the first frett .

So the " bare NECK " is the same as the others . Well if they are all incorrect , does that make them correct.

I cannot really think of any way to explain without using the " apples to oranges analogy " but , think about the history of any guitar and this is the first one that I have heard of that has the Volute in the WRONG place , and

includes an incorrect Trem arm that you have to get replaced . If players try to make their neck more comfortable they usually sand the back of it down , or keep it reall clean until it wears to comfort . I cannot think of anyone

making a guitar neck better by placing a " Piece of Wood " sticking out of the back of the neck , between the first and second fret . It makes No sense whatsoever . There is a flaw , somewhere someone messed up . I don't believe Alex would approve of such a bumb in the neck , I do not care if it is anywhere ON the " THUMB PLAYING SURFACE " , that is what it is all about .

Did Alex approve of the prototype , that perhaps was correct ? Then someone in quality control did not check the making of the necks/volutes for the customers line of instruments. I must say if you send a wrong trem arm , people can BUY or BEND it to make it right . Well I can't make the Volute correct . I can't send the guitar back either.

As happy as I am to have an Inspired by Alex , along with VOS , which was in the add , Yes gibson removed the word VOS in the advertisement to " DO ANOTHER FIX " but I already bought the guitar . I love Rush and Alex's playing . Yet that does not RIGHT a WRONG . There is truly a disservice that was done to , well at least me , right ?

I bought it online and can't return it . Nor get my cash back . So why am I so bad and wrong when the item I purchased was not as described " VOS " mistake or NOT , wrong trem arm ,and a piece of wood that gets in my way ? WHY ?

[/quote']

It sucks that you still feel unhappy with your AL, LerxstLee - and I don't think there's anything that anybody could say at this point that would make you feel happy about it. But I think all AL owners are going to have to take a hard look at their guitar and decide if it's still worth owning, even with it's idiosyncracies (or flaws, if you prefer). I think for most people, that would be a resounding 'yes', because of all the other qualities it offers, many of which are unavailable elsewhere.

But the bottom line is that these guitars are already viewed as collectible, even with a new batch coming out of production soon. So my guess is that if you really don't want it now, you should least be able to get your money back when reselling it. (Though you may kick yourself in the future for doing that...)

Well, regardless of what anyone decides to do with their Lifeson, I think we would all most agree that although this is a really nice guitar, it is disappointing that Gibson half-assed this one. A lot of us had signed a petition to get a Lifeson Signature 355 and it just seems that Gibson shat this one out of their arse and said, "here's your Lifeson." I'm keeping mine. I already had it professionally set up and it plays like a wet dream (minus that pesty hump between the nut and first fret of course). Of course the nut has a little bit of paint and some filler under a new layer of clear coat because our wonderful Custom Shop glued the nut in. Do all nuts get glued in? Typically no. If there is glue put on the nut it is usually on the front toward the fretboard. But, what the CS did with mine is put glue in the entire channel where the nut is installed. This is a big no,no. You will all have to either raise or replace the nut at some point after years of playing. When that happens, your tech is going to have to cut through some glue. It is an expected repair as the guitar ages, but to have it glued in there like that is unacceptable and very difficult to do the necessary repairs needed for the life of the guitar. That being said. I am keeping it and am going to play the crap out of it. If it holds its value, great. If not, oh well. It will only be the person inheriting it in my will that has to deal with that because I am keeping this one til' I go in the grave. For the money I paid, I was hoping for more. But, it is what it is at this point and when I rip out Hemispheres and Natural Science, it sounds just like the real deal. Alex does not seem to mind playing the prototype on tour, so should we just enjoy it for what it is. However, the CS should hold their head in shame for not holding to their mission of quality crafted guitars that they so pride themselves.

I dont own an AL model but the volute issue seems to be a serious flaw in my estimation . Again I dont own one and have only seen pictures on the thread but the volute placement appears that it would actually hinder playing some chords at the end of the neck . That in itself seems unacceptable but at the end of the day maybe some people who own this model dont see it that way at all . I feel lucky to have a 1963 ES335 Block reissue, 1957 Custom LP VOS & a Joe Perry Boneyard LP . All three are fantastic instruments with amazing attention to detail .

But the bottom line is that these guitars are already viewed as collectible' date=' even with a new batch coming out of production soon. So my guess is that if you really don't want it now, you should least be able to get your money back when reselling it. (Though you may kick yourself in the future for doing that...)[/quote']

You have done lost your mind if you think this POS is going to be considered a collectible. It is by far the worst mass produced run to ever come out of the Custom Shop....and word is spreading. The only person who is going to give you maybe what you have in it.....is a SUPER diehard Alex Lifeson fan!!!! These guitars are being scrapped and thrown together....now with different parts than the first batches....just to get them out the door. One thing that I have noticed that NO ONe has mentioned....is the different placement of the whole Vibrole arm assembly......mine is nowhere close to straight....in fact the Lower strap button (which is in a Spec location) can show you how far off the assemblies have been mounted.....my strap button is located below the middle of the "o" and "n" in the etched Gibson on the plate.....looking at many different posted photos, they are mounted all over the place.....just another shining example of Get er Done mentality when it came to making these guitars!!!

Collectible???? Dream On.....If you hope to get any money out of these POS's, you better sell now, before this guitar becomes the laughing stock of theGuitar Collecting world!!!! There is no shame in admitting that we have been had, by buying these things......what's is shameful is to ignore reality and think that you have some kind of special guitar that is going to make you money, because it's "Collectible". I'll be a sucker once on this deal......but brother, count me out on the illusion of this being a Collectable guitar!!!!!

You have done lost your mind if you think this POS is going to be considered a collectible.

It's not just an opinion, the facts support it. The AL ES has been one of the most eagerly-anticipated, fastest-selling of all the 'Inspired By' series, with many dealers selling out immediately. Unlike the Jimmy Page VOS LPs, for example, how many Lifeson 355s have you seen up for sale on Ebay? Not many I bet. Because people are hanging onto these. Added to that you have a HUGE fanbase of Rush/Lifeson fans who may not even be players, but who would still love to have a Lifeson signature guitar. You can throw into the mix that it's the only white 355, the only 355 with Maestro, the only ES that offers the tonal variations that this one does, etc. etc. Bottom line - whether you approve of it or not - is that this guitar had collectibility written all over it before it even made it off the production line. And if you think they're tough to get in the US - good luck finding one in Europe!

Whether it could have or should have been better built and finished is a separate issue. Fact is, it's a limited edition, major-artist-endorsed Custom Shop piece, and that makes it collectible - whether that's deserved or not.

That's why I'm going to play mine into oblivion. I do not care about its collectability at this point. It looks and sounds great. I can pull off Rush tunes with the proper tone. That being said, I agree fully that this one will be the laughing stock of Custom Shop Guitars as I own many. I have not ventured to post any of this over at the Les Paul Forum, becuase us guys over at the LPF would never let anything like this go without a complete lashing!! Custom Shop you should be ashamed!

Vrob......just because something is HIGHLY anticipated, doesn't mean it won't be a dud when it actually becomes reality!!! And it certainly doesn't make it a Collectable, because it was anticipated!!!!! I also was really excited and could'nt wait for my Al to get to my house........but just like a Hollywood BlockBuster FLOP..........My excitement turn to disgust when I saw what I had bought for 3K. Like I have said before.....Epiphone could have done a MUCH better job on this guitar, than the Custom Shop did.....and for probably one third of the price!!!!!!!

Speaking of Custom Shop....do you work there???? You defend them like you do!!!!!

Cheers!

I could'nt imagine someone buying one of these on ebay if they know about the issues with this model or having been privy to this forum thread . They would have to be crazy to sink their money it if they are knowingly aware of the issues . My 63 ES 335 block reissue was built at the same time the AL models were being constructed (received mine on 5/15/08) and its impeccable . Couldnt be happier with it . It just blows my mind that they can build something with such detail as my guitar and then I read this about the AL models . It almost seems they were under pressure to get them released at all cost . Like there was a time table to meet . I hope you guys can get some sort of resolution .

My 63 ES 335 block reissue was built at the same time the AL models were being constructed (received mine on 5/15/08) and its impeccable.

I've brought this up on these forums before, and I've not been banned or suspended yet, so here goes again:

I think you'll find your '63 block reissue was built in Nashville. It seems the AL's are built in Memphis. There seems to be an incredible difference in quality, and quality control between these two "custom shops".

Archived