Gibson Brands Forums

ebay and identifying valve jr. v3

neptune2000

Hi,

I have two questions regarding getting a Valve Jr. off of ebay.

1) How can you tell from the photo(s) it's a V3 and not a V2? Did the V2 still have the white I and O on the power switch?

2) Is it risky buying an amp used (vs. other things, I realize there's always a risk to buying from ebay)?

Thanks. I'm not in a rush to get an amp (other than the GAS pains), so I want to see if I can score a Jr. combo cheap.

1) Yes, the v2 VJr still had the I/O on the power switch.

2) Always. But then, so is buying a new one since you get stuck for shipping costs if something goes wrong with it. But you're here, and here is where the amp mod addicts roam! If it doesn't work, you can fix it! #-o

Gil...

`

the one thing i learnt from the mod craze was, read everything, decide what you want to install, create a face plate first, then drill your holes according to your face plate.

It's much harder to create a face plate with your holes all over, I've done the decals now I have to do a good face plate.

(I know I still have to flip the stdby and pwer switches too)

HPIM0347a.jpg

HPIM0349.jpg

HPIM0344.jpg

the one thing i learnt from the mod craze was' date=' read everything, decide what you want to install, create a face plate first, then drill your holes according to your face plate.

It's much harder to create a face plate with your holes all over, I've done the decals now I have to do a good face plate.

(I know I still have to flip the stdby and pwer switches too)

[/quote']

Did you change the speaker in yours?

BTW, I was up in your neck of the woods all week. I was in Guelph and Georgetown (both west of you).

you sure were close, i'm about 45min out of Guelph and 15min out of Georgetown.. real close.

but you wouldn't find me here, on call 24x7 and spend most of the time at work, going back to work now.. bummer

speaker... I didn't bother with the combo.. thought it didn't look cool.. I have a 2 - 1x12's, 1 - 2x12 and 1 -4x12 all with different speakers in them, so I'm not tied down with the 8".

Is there a site that i can go to to see the different models' date=' v2, v3 etc. i have the chance to buy a vjr, but reading all the post/threads about v2, v3 how do i tell?[/quote']

From above, it looks like only the V3 has the power switch W/O the white "I" and "O".

According to the wikipedia entry, only the V1 had horizontal stripes going through the center of the panel (as opposed to the top), so I guess that would be how to identify that one from a picture.

Also, 14 digit s/n on the V3.

From above' date=' it looks like only the V3 has the power switch [b']W/O[/b] the white "I" and "O".

According to the wikipedia entry, only the V1 had horizontal stripes going through the center of the panel (as opposed to the top), so I guess that would be how to identify that one from a picture.

Also, 14 digit s/n on the V3.

Thanks

very hard to tell but.. if it was a rev 1 the the graphics should be running straight through the power button.

On a rev2 or 3 the graphics run across the top of the unit and stop before they get as far as the power button (above the switch)

check out these images.

rev1

http://www.proaudio.com.au/sales/photos/463fd9d119313.jpg

rev2/3

http://www.bassexchange.com/catalog/images/Epiphone%20Valve%20Jr%20Mercury%20kit.jpg

very hard to tell but.. if it was a rev 1 the the graphics should be running straight through the power button.

On a rev2 or 3 the graphics run across the top of the unit and stop before they get as far as the power button (above the switch)

check out these images.

rev1

rev2/3

http://www.bassexchange.com/catalog/images/Epiphone%20Valve%20Jr%20Mercury%20kit.jpg

Great pictures. Thanks; I haven't been able to see a V1 before. But the second pic can only be a V2, as the V3 doesn't have the "I" and "O".

zoom the pix here:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Combo-Amp-103236469-i1145291.gc

So I guess with that we have pix of all 3 versions. Thanks guys.

check out these images.

rev1

rev2/3

I posted this before' date=' but it fits here too. According to the guy that I bought mine from (mods already done), mine is a version 1, but doesn't follow with what you are saying about the face plates.

[img']http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture310.jpg[/img]

Great pictures. Thanks; I haven't been able to see a V1 before. But the second pic can only be a V2' date=' as the V3 doesn't have the "I" and "O".

zoom the pix here:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Combo-Amp-103236469-i1145291.gc

So I guess with that we have pix of all 3 versions. Thanks guys.[/quote'] That looks like the one in my pic., which version is that?

Yeah JustStrum; the combo is the hard one, from the posts I've read over the past 3yrs combo's sort of went through a transition

From the graphics across the middle to across the top but only had the 1 speaker output then finally the combo was just like the head.

What I would really be interested is if you can take a picture of the board inside you chassis JS. You don’t need to be so zoomed in that it give’s DaVoodo’s secretes away but it would be interesting to finally put your baby to sleep sort of speak

Yeah JustStrum; the combo is the hard one' date=' from the posts I've read over the past 3yrs combo's sort of went through a transition

From the graphics across the middle to across the top but only had the 1 speaker output then finally the combo was just like the head.

What I would really be interested is if you can take a picture of the board inside you chassis JS. You don’t need to be so zoomed in that it give’s DaVoodo’s secretes away but it would be interesting to finally put your baby to sleep sort of speak

[/quote']

I don't think he has any secrets, I believe he puts everything on his website.

As for a pic, here I expose my amp illiteracy to you. When you say "board", what are you referring to? Are you referring to the board where the tubes and other stuff (technical term) is located?

The question of how to identify a VJ comes up again and again.

It's been long considered the way of identifying a VJ from Rev1/2/3 of the graphics along the front as being rev1, graphics along the top rev2 or 3. i/o on power button rev2, no i/o on power button rev3. 8 digit s/n rev 1 or 2, 14 digit s/n rev3.

In the past little while only yours has come up in discussions as being a rev1 in what looks to be a rev2.

All I am suggesting, so you know not just from me but other members of this forum that are far better than I in modd’ing a VJ that will be able to tell you in absolute truth whether the inside of your amp is a 1/2/3.

Yes when I say the picture of the board; it means the PCB board that contains all the parts together (PCB= printed circuit board). The only way to see it is to take off the back panel of the amp via the 8 philp’s screws. Lift the little black screw covers on the top of the amp and remove the 4 philp’s screws and slide the amp chassis out.

You will either find a green pcb or black pcb.. Green comes in rev1 or rev2 and black in rev3 only.

Here is a picture of a rev 2 board

evjrstock_pcb1.jpg

evjrstock_pcb3.jpg

WoW Just Strum... It really is a rev1 board... interesting that your chassis has the 'generalization’ of being a Rev2 but in fact is a rev 1.

Thanks buddy for clearing that up, you can put it back together now, thanks..

The real question how do we help the average new person identify the VJ’s?

Most of the generalizations work but there will be those units out there like yours that are a cross over’s.

Then I guess the only way for a person to finalize the unit is to get a picture of the board but this will only affect combo’s and not heads; since heads only came as rev2 and rev3’s.

Thank you kindly once again for your assistance. Doug

Archived