Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar MagazIne

Greg Curtis

What do you guys consider the best guitar mag out there. I already have a subscription to Acoustic Guitar because I do spend a lot of time playing my acoustic. How about one that covers electric also.

I have a subscription to Guitar Player. Guitar World seems to cater more to metalheads. Premier Guitar is cheap by subscription (about $1.10 an issue). Vintage Guitar is good (sort of a Shotgun News/Computer Shopper format.

But I think that the UK guitar magazines are the best. To get them shipped out here is prohibitively expensive.

Guitar Player is undoubtedly my favorite. I've been a reader for 22 years and a subscriber for 20. The thing I like about Guitar Player is that it's a pretty balanced magazine covering all kinds of music. I discover new players I'd have never heard of otherwise that way.

I also subscribe to Guitar World. It definitely has more of a metal bent, but a subscription is 12 bucks and it's $7.99 an issue of the newsstand. There always ends up being at least one or two "must have" issues a year so it's worth it to subscribe. They have tons of Epi gear reviews, too...

I have the same experience as Jeffery Smith, viz., that the U.K. guitar magazines are the best for me, in terms of learning.

I can see that, as EpiEric says, Guitar Player has a very even and liberal coverage, and I didn't know that Guitar World (of which I've bought a few copies over the years for the non-metal transcriptions) is only $12 U.S. for a subscription. I'm sure that even the Canadian subscription rate would probably make it worth it to subscribe, so I'm definitely going to check that out.

I myself tend to not subscribe to any magazines because I don't find them consistently interesting enough to justify the price. Part of this has been proven to me because I am almost at the end of a subscription to 'Recording', and the experience hasn't justified the cost of the subscription.

I just buy as I like, and I do have an extensive collection of guitar mags.

Does anybody find that the transcriptions are weaker or better in one publication versus another in terms of accuracy and/or notation?

Archived