Gibson Brands Forums

2 Vols, 2 Tones, 3 Way, 2 P/Pulls ? ? Buzzzzz - Why?

Fineartwalt

Coil taps or coil splitting ?

SD humbuckers come with 4 leads. With switches you have these options: series/split/parallel,

splitting with coil selection, in/out phase with itself, in/out phase with another pickup.

When you split the coils in a humbucker you use only one coil making it a single coil.

Coil taps are normaly used on single coil pickups to reduce the output/ using less coil wire.

The buzz or hum comes from the 50/60 hertz cicle on the grid.

Peter

Is it reccommended to install two duncan design pickups with 2 vols' date=' 2 tones, 3 way, and 2 push/pulls for coil taps (push push actually) into a semi-hollow body? And if it is ok, why the buzzing? I've followed the diagram perfectly.

Walt[/quote']

I have done that configuration twice on two of my own custom creations and have not

experienced any hum. You check for a ground wire from the pot cases to the string stop

tailpiece.

The other thing is to run as much shielded wire as possible, including to

the 3 way. Tie all the shields together at the 3-way and use a thin solid wire to

connect the shields (neck shield, bridge shield, jack shield) to the 3-way frame (big lug).

You should have ground continuity all the way from the pickup metal cases to the pots, 3 way,

and finally to the shell (sleeve) of the input (output) jack.

Ok, so I would have to check back at the SD site to decide which option I want to set this guitar up. I followed the 2 vols, 2 tone, 3 way, 2 push pulls.... I would need to look at split/series/parrallel. . . Also, everything is wired in sheilded wire and grounded properly... I'll double check.

Thank you both,

Walt

Ok' date=' so I would have to check back at the SD site to decide which option I want to set this guitar up. I followed the 2 vols, 2 tone, 3 way, 2 push pulls.... I would need to look at split/series/parrallel. . . Also, everything is wired in sheilded wire and grounded properly... I'll double check.

Thank you both,

Walt[/quote']

Ok, one should be careful here on selecting the proper SD wiring for the configuration that you

want. this particular one is labelled as 2 hB/2Vol/2 Tones/3-way/Series/Parallel/Split when it

is only a Series/Parallel configuration.

....in other words, the N/S coils are selected by the push-pull switch to be EITHER in SERIES or PARALLEL with each other.

Arranging HB coils which are opposite polarity (n/s) and connected in series normally to

be hum cancelling (ie: "reverse wound") are SERIES.

This is the diagram:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w_ssp

Selecting those same coils by a push pull switch to be configured as PARALLEL will

cause the output to drop about 30-40% and you will lose the lows/some mids, but

get accentuated highs. This is due to the action of the two coils working in parallel rather than in series.

As far as I can tell from drawing out the switch configuration separately on a

piece of paper, that particular configuration doesn't really provide a true

SC arrangement, where the adjustable coil is used independently.

If you want a true humbucker coil split, so that it sound closer to a SC, you would need to include

this option in your wiring.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=phase_switch_coil_split_hb

Archived