Gibson Brands Forums

may be wrong topic, but need a little advice about hand swelling

nugi

recently since ive started playing guitar in college , my fretting hand has started to 'swell' between my index finger and my thumb . if you clench ur fist and go directly down nd right from the knuckle, the swelling is there. im not sure whether to panic or not == it hurts a bit wen if i hold the guitar to tight or play in a fixed position. maybe its simply getting stronger? just need a bit advice. thanx in advance

=nugi=

hm well i would but i just asked here and its 8pm . dont have transport to docs plus its shut ? so you know, i know thats the obvious answer. don't worry, i have common sense (Y). no need to be clever. and im asking if its common in gutiarists. i dont think a doctor can answer that, do you? . any useful info would be helpful, rather then pitiful answers

uhm' date=' why not go to a doctor instead of asking here[/quote']

How about this reason - Because advice here is free. And advice from a Dr. is not.

Try playing a little less for a while and see if it gets better. It may not be caused by the guitar, but this should at least help to find that out. Does it get worse when you play more? Perhaps you need to loosen your grip on the neck.

recently since ive started playing guitar in college ' date=' my fretting hand has started to 'swell' between my index finger and my thumb . if you clench ur fist and go directly down nd right from the knuckle, the swelling is there. im not sure whether to panic or not == it hurts a bit wen if i hold the guitar to tight or play in a fixed position. maybe its simply getting stronger? just need a bit advice. thanx in advance

=nugi=[/quote']

I am not a doctor and have nothing to do with healthcare. Do you think it might be a Ganglion Cyst (often called a 'Bible Bump')? See:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/ganglion_cyst/article_em.htm

I have one on my wrist right now. As long as it doesn't start hurting or get too big, apparently it's easier just to leave it there. These things are basically harmless, but they seem to be connected to repetitive hand action (like playing a musical instrument.) Curiously, I have heard that bass players suffer from these more frequently, especially upright bass players.

thank you guys for the feedback. i think i am holding the neck to tight and its just inflaming the tendon. i dont think its serious just worried ofcourse. maybe the muscle maybe simply be getting stronger? the guitar teacher at the college suggest readjusting my hand (before i was getting pain there) but since then its started swelling. so i oughta slap him ¬_¬ it doesnt hurt wen i loosen my thumb and keep it over the neck but if i hold it behind on the neck, it does hurt= so confusing .

You should be able to tell if it is the muscle gaining strength or if its an inflamed tendon. If the part that hurts is in the meaty part of the hand then you are most likely building strength in the hand muscles. If you can feel something hard or cord like where the pain is then you may be forming Tendonitis. Either way if you are starting to hurt I would suggest taking it easy, maybe loosen your grip some. Just like any work out if you are not used to it you will feel some pain as you grow accustomed to it, but if you continue to play through the pain you could end up with a repetitive strain injury.

thank you dude' date=' thanks for all the advice. just concerned =D> scared ill NEVER BE ABLE TO PLAY AGIAN :|:| haha but im fine . thank you everyone. aanymore advice would be appreciated .[/quote']

Well what guitar do you have? I don't know much but maybe the guitar neck is too thick and your hand isn't strong enough to play it yet. I'm probably wrong but it doesnt't hurt to mention.

GC

Archived