Gibson Brands Forums

Buying a '66 G-400 today!!!

superjudge3

I'm buying the '66 G-400 to compliment my 2001 G-400. I figured I'm going to need an exact back-up for live shows. I don't want to have to switch guitars and change my sound up in case I break a string or whatever else may go wrong.

The only mods will be a Gibson 498t humbucker, bone nut, and a new Gotoh bridge!

I'll let you know how it works out!

PS - I'm getting the Heritage Cherry since there was no such thing as a Silver '66 SG back in the day!

PS - I'm getting the Heritage Cherry since there was no such thing as a Silver '66 SG back in the day!

Just so you know...there was no such thing as a Gibson SG with a full pickguard in 1966 either. They put them on in 1967.

So not only was there not a silver one, there was no such thing as a Heritage Cherry '66 SG (with full pickguard) back in the day either. Sorry to have to inform you of the truth. 8-[

I do believe they started full pickguards mid 66. Stan.

Maybe, but they were 1967 models. I've done some research on this, and everything I have seen states that they did not go full bat-wing until 1967.

Don't let anyone burst your bubble. If that is the guitar you want, go for it. I have 2 G-400s and I love them both. I was in the store yesterday, and had I not just purchased a Bigsby for my Sherry, I would have put some money down on a Faded G-400. They had two, a worn cherry and worn brown. I like the looks of the worn brown better, but the neck profile on the worn cherry was to die for. If they still have it in a couple of weeks, I may have them hold it for me. Both had EE serial numbers, but the necks were not close to the same profile.

Enjoy new your guitar!! Remember, post some pics after you get it.

Maybe' date=' but they were 1967 models. I've done some research on this, and everything I have seen states that they did not go full bat-wing until 1967.

[/quote']

brad,

It's Gibson; take it with a grain of salt... ;-)

Of course, the reason that there's such confusion is that Gibson didn't really have 'model years' the way that, say, auto companies did. They'd come up with something in the middle of the year, and transition between old and new (look at the 'transition' Firebirds when they were switching between the reverse and non-reverse styles).

If memory serves, different production lines might get old or new parts, so one line might be working on the old style, waiting for any re-tooling that was needed, and another would be working on the new style, having already been re-tooled.

Plus the fact that so many records were lost in the big Kalamazoo fire, and it makes you tear your hair out sometimes...

-Bob

Just so you know...there was no such thing as a Gibson SG with a full pickguard in 1966 either. They put them on in 1967.

So not only was there not a silver one' date=' there was no such thing as a Heritage Cherry '66 SG (with full pickguard) back in the day either. Sorry to have to inform you of the truth. :D

[/quote']

Just so you know, there exists at least one '66 Gibson that has a full pickguard. I play it every few weeks in fact. It's my brother-in-law's. And he's done some research as well.

Either way I don't care, I'll play my new Epiphone anyway.

PS - Thanks for all the kind words dudes; I'll post pictures as soon as I receive it! My dealer had to order it for me because they were sold out.

Archived