Gibson Brands Forums

Replacing Speakers in Blues Custom

I was thinking about replacing the speakers in my Blues Custom. Has anyone here done this? And was it worth while (was there a big improvement?) I've actually heard from people who replaced the speakers in their VJr's that the upgrade wasn't really worth while.

Can the speakers in the BC30 be changed entirely from the backside of the amp? Or is there a nut or something you would have to hold on the front side while you loosen them. Since the front doesn't look too removable, I guess I am really hoping that wouldn't be necessary.

I was thinking that a set of Celestion Greenbacks might go well with this amp. I'll have to go give some different speakers a try one of these weekends. Does anyone else have any recommendations?

- Brandon

Don't know how long you've had the amp (or how many hours of playing time it's got on it) but I've found that the more I play it the better the speakers sound as they break in.

If you haven't already done so I'd suggest that any money would be better spent on a decent pair of replacements for the 6L6's followed by the 12AX7's and the GZ34.

BUt that's just my 2p worth.

• 1 year later...

Depends what you want to do... For whatever you want, get weber... they're handmade to your specs (with a good number of models that are exactly like vintage jensen's or celestions)

Wait for your current speakers to break in first... And if you still aren't satisfied, when you switch, either go with AlNiCo or neodymium magnet (weber neo's are one of the few that sound good, and they're lighter than a comparable AlNiCo)

ceramics are fine sounding, but somewhat... sterile...

Of course, you could always go with one ceramic, one AlNiCo... you'd get the attack of the ceramic magnet with the compression of the AlNiCo... nice combination...

And before you make the switch, listen to comparisons of british and american speakers to find out what sort of tone you're looking for. I'd suggest heading over to any speaker company's site that has a tone chart (eminence has a really helpful one) to pinpoint what you're looking for... then ditch that company, and buy a weber with similar specs.

And if you haven't retubed at all, go for it. You don't need vintage RCA blackplates and a Mullard 5ar4 (i use AMERICAN names for tubes, HA!) to get a good tone... Just stay away from sino/shuguang chinese tubes... they're improving, but still at the bottom. Again, you'll want to listen to comparisons, but unfortunately, tubes aren't quite the one stop shopping deal you can get with speakers, and there is no one place I have seen with audio clips comparing tubes from different manufacturers... you'll have to stick a net in the murky waters of youtube, and see if you can pull something nice out.

Thanks for the input guys! Much appreciated.

I'm also building a 2x12 cab for an old Silvertone 1484 head. I was going to get some new jensens but I think I might go with weber instead.

Those new "jensens" are actually imported italian speakers made by audiovox corporation, so you'd do good to get webers... Not to say there's anything wrong with italian products, they're just not quite the same as the old weber speakers of the same model name...

Archived