Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Special valves

Woko

I have just bought myself a valve special looking though the grill at the back I can only see one valve and what look like two siver tubes.

Question 1 Is the valve I can see an AX12

question 2 what are the silver things.

question 3 I can pick up a Celestion speaker for £32 is it worth replacing the epiphone speaker.

I have just bought myself a valve special looking though the grill at the back I can only see one valve and what look like two siver tubes.

Question 1 Is the valve I can see an AX12

question 2 what are the silver things.

question 3 I can pick up a Celestion speaker for £32 is it worth replacing the epiphone speaker.

The can on the right looking thru the back is V1 a 12AX7, the second from the right can is V2 another 12AX7, the tube on the left that you can see is the power tube, an EL84. The cans around the preamp tubes are to block RF noise. They are notched, just twist and then pull, the cans that is, not the tubes, the tubes, just rock and pull, gently. I really can't tell you if the Celestion is worth it. I'm not the biggest fan of Celestions, but there are those in this forum, that really like them, and could advise you on that better than I.

Hi Woko

Got your email - sorry about not replying sooner.

I've no experience of the valve special so I can't be any help I'm afraid. Lots of experience here on the board though so someone will soon be along to offer some decent advice.

Cheers

Ian

Depends on many things.

1. Is your Epi speaker broken in? Speakers change over the course of a proper break-in' date=' and usually sound much better.

[i']2. Do you like how it sounds now?[/i] If no, see question 1. If yes, then do you want to invest in the Celestion maybe for later tweaks?

3. Which Celestion? Saying only 'Celestion' is like saying 'Ford.' I have a Vintage 30 that I like for certain tones -- I've had a G12T-75 and a greenback that I disliked. Others have not impressed me but tone is all in what "you" hear.

4. At $70, is the Celestion new? Reconed? Used? MIC? All factors to consider as all speakers are not created equal.

5. Is the ohm rating compatible? Would be a waste of money if not, unless you know how/want to mod your amp.

I think speakers are a good way to tweak the tone of your rig. But to be most effective, you need to know what it is that you are trying to achieve (more bass/mids/treble/vol etc.) and how the speaker in question will answer the call. When you know that, then you'll know if the price is right.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Thanks Robo Wiggy and Steven.

The celestion is a CEL-G10 vintage @ 8 Ohm's

The amp sounds o.k. and getting better as I use it.

I only payed £99 new and thought if another £50 spent on new speaker / valve 's might make it even better.

Thanks Robo Wiggy and Steven.

The celestion is a CEL-G10 vintage @ 8 Ohm's

The amp sounds o.k. and getting better as I use it.

I only payed £99 new and thought if another £50 spent on new speaker / valve 's might make it even better.

If you want to try new valves/tubes, I really like a TungSol in V1, and in V2 a Sovtek 12AX7-LPS or an Electro Harmonix. I was using a JJ EL84 for the power tube, but have been using a Tube Amp Doctor EL84-STR lately which I really like. If you want to tone it down a bit, an Electro Harmonix 12AY7 in V1 and V2 work nice. Though generally they aren't my favorite tubes, any Sovtek in V2 seems to work well. YMMV as these are just my personal preferences.

If you want to try new valves/tubes' date=' I really like a TungSol in V1, and in V2 a Sovtek 12AX7-LPS or an Electro Harmonix. I was using a JJ EL84 for the power tube, but have been using a Tube Amp Doctor EL84-STR lately which I really like. If you want to tone it down a bit, an Electro Harmonix 12AY7 in V1 and V2 work nice. Though generally they aren't my favorite tubes, any Sovtek in V2 seems to work well. YMMV as these are just my personal preferences. [/quote']

Get some Mullards in there.... They really are the smoothest of Tubes :-k/

Archived