Gibson Brands Forums

Weber Sig12S speaker in VJ

TWANG

compared to my eminence.. unlabelled at that.... not so hot.

the weber seems to lack lows, and increase highs.

I wouldn't call it too bright, because it seems to be a nice clarity..but with the lows gone it's not balanced as

well as the cheapo speaker.

Not as much volume, either, which actually changed the character of my amp on any setting.

Everything is different. and none of it really suits the head or my guitar or me unfortunately.

My old starter setting.. was everything at 12:00.. tone gain volume..

C3in, CFoff.

I'll change that. with the CF at it's second position.. more treble cut.. it's ok.

A sound I'd like IF it had anything else I liked besides that.. which it doesn't appear to at this point.

I thought this would be a relatively easy, and not very expensive improvement.

But right at this moment I feel I have an extra speaker on my hands.

This has more of the character of a smaller speaker.. lower output, less bass, more highs.

On the plus side, it's got clarity for sure. And the mids and highs are more nicely balanced.

It seems to break up earlier than my cheapo speaker, but it has a nicer quality to it in some ways.

I don't know how long it takes to break a speaker in.. this one will get broken in for sure..

I guess I'll find out.

Maybe I'll ebay it with the Weber and buy me something else.

using the stock epi single 12" cab.. and both speakers are 8 ohms.

So for today.. kinda sad and rainy just like outside.

TWANG

I tried it again.. a little rushed today.

And I think it has some very good sounds, but all marked by the lack of lows.

I'm gonna pop the other speaker back in once more and decide.

the 8" did sound a lot like it, but much smaller overall so.. not a good comparison really.

I think maybe if I get some hours on it it might improve.

TWANG

Twang I had a similar experience with vintage alinco Rola's I tried with the valve jr....thought they would be great......WRONG! The ceramic speakers sounded much better with the valve jr ....and these speakers were Well broken in...so I don't think that's t your issue either.

I don't know how long it takes to break a speaker in

20-30 hours, and you really can't judge any speaker until it's been broken in.

That said, this particular speaker is only rated for 25 watts, and is described as a speaker for an early 60's Fender tone, so it's not likely to ever sound very big. If you want big and aggressive, you want something at least 50 watts, and voiced to give you fat lows.

I'm sort of with Layboomo on this one. VJr's like ceramic speakers, but some are better. Since I got my G12M, I find my Vintage 30's too dull on the top end. I've also got a Jensen p10R and Celestion Alnico Blue, and they're really good, but for the el84, the Greenback wins. However, on my Champified Beast VJr with a 6V6, the Alnico Blue or Jensen seem to have the edge over the Greenback.

Gil...

Well, I took what he recommended.. and that's what I've got.

The other speaker was 50 watts and definately louder and deeper than this one.

Together they may not be bad at all though.

Right now, I'd prefer the other to the Weber if I had only one to use, for sure.

TWANG

The VJr. chameleon. Speakers can tweak those tones ever so nicely. Last year I tossed aside several before finding my favorite 4... in 2 - 2x12 cabs. Multiples (either paired or mixed) multiply the tweakage potential even further.

TWANG... if you're looking for great cleans w/fat bottom-end and want to stay with Weber, then try the Weber-made Peavey Blue Marvel (25w?). In the realm of clean, mine has won-out over "the big guys" I tried (that includes my Vintage 30, a greenback, a G12T-75 and a Texas Heat). If you want to go 2x, I suggest putting a Vintage 30 with it to round out the mids and top end.

IME break-in brings dramatic change. I disliked everything out-of-the-box..., including the Blue Marvel. I do break-ins by playing, rather than by the radio hook-up method, and when done correctly by playing it seems to take longer -- anywhere from 30-50 hours. Cannabis Rex (50w) took about 80 (b/c hemp is stiffer than paper) to finally grind its bad self into its greasy, hemp-induced swagger, but man-O-man is it ever worth it..., if that's your thang.

C-Rex takes to dirt like swine on crack.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Hey Guys,

This question/procedure from Celestion works.

"How do I break in my speakers?

Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to "warm up" the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.

Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.

Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for 10-15 minutes using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time."

I agree 100% with Steven that break in brings dramatic change. I've used this procedure on several sets of speakers and the change over 15 minutes is dramatic. I would never judge a speaker without at least doing this procedure. The only thing I'm not sure of in this case is whether or not a VJr has enough power to move the speaker the way it is supposed to move to loosen up the surround, etc. I would drive it with a more powerful amp during break in if you have one.

Hope this helps,

Greg

The only thing I'm not sure of in this case is whether or not a VJr has enough power to move the speaker the way it is supposed to move to loosen up the surround' date=' etc. I would drive it with a more powerful amp during break in if you have one.[/quote']

Hey everybody!! ...here's a player who's not yet had the VJr. experience!

WELCOME to the forum Greg M! Just busting your forum cherry a bit..., yeah about every 10th post around here is asking, "what attenuator will best tame my oh so very raucous VJr. beast?"

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Steven,

Thanks for the welcome. I do have a VJr version 3 and I did the Bitmo Tripple mod. I've been playing guitar since 1964 (I was 12 years old) and still play out regularly in a classic rock band. FWIW, after doing the Bitmo mod I don't think there is much wrong with the speaker that came in the VJr speaker cab (the Eminence) - but to each his own.

It is amazing how loud that little amp can be. I bought mine and modded it for use in my studio because it has great tone. Most of the venues I play live require something like my Traynor YBA-1 or my JCM 800. These amps will move the speaker with clean output. The posted break in procedure calls for a clean sound. My VJr doesn't move the speaker much clean.

This is a great forum. Again, thanks for the welcome.

Greg

The Bitmo tripple mod is pretty straight forward. Just read the directions and follow them. Be sure to read the values on the caps and not just match the picture to the cap. Some of the cap size/color aren't quite the same as the picure but the values are correct.

You won't regret the mods. Really opens the VJr up.

Greg

I've only got about five hours on it.. and it seems to be loosening up.. believe it or not.

I can hear difference, I'm sure.

I'm starting to really dig the highs and upper mids on this speaker, I'll say that. There's a lot more clarity there than

with the other eminence I was using.

clean it's kinda even scary.. really can hear my mistakes or sloppiness.

And overall it's not a bad tone at all.. very nice.. just those lows are not quite as thumping as I wanted.

Today I'll stick the old speaker back in a cab and rewire it so I can run two.. seems like that will be quite nice if I just pick the right cab for the right speaker.

I'm not crazy about the volume drop.. if the speaker continues to break in as nicely as it seems at this early point, that will be the only

hassle I have with it.

And I have a feeling that's where some of those lows went, too.. efficiency!

But, it's growing on me, so far. And I think I may wind up keeping it if it does ok as a pair.

TWANG

stop tempting me, can't you see I'm sick?

I think that the Weber ceramic blue has a beautiful voice, that's all I'm saying. I can't be held responsible for how others might interpret that opinion, or whether or not they may feel compelled to act upon it! I'm completely innocent here. Just a bypasser who's giving out an informed opinion, that's all...

Archived