Gibson Brands Forums

Getting bored with my Vox AD30VT

davidg3333

"Less is (most always) more!" If you like the basic "Vox" tone (just not all the effects)' date=' the and AC-15 would

be a great alternative. If Fender is more your tone, then a "Blues Junior" (15 watts), or the ever popular and

totally wonderful "Deluxe Reverb" is an awsome choice. There is a new "Fender" called a Super Champ, too..

that is generating a lot of positive buzz, and serious sales, as well. Not trying to "sell" you anything here, but

just give you some info. I play out, in bars and small clubs, and I can tell you in all candor, that a "Blues Junior,"

or similar powered amp, will be plenty, volume wise. Since volume isn't your main criteria...they might even be

TOO loud? Others, on this forum, rave about the Epi Valve Junior amps. And Roland Cube amps, though "solid

state" have great reputations, for tone and reliability. So...lots of choices. I will say, too...that a tube amp,

regardless of power rating, needs to be run at a certain volume, to get the "sweet spot," tone wise. You simply

cannot get it, at low volume settings. Pedals will only approximate it, and usually quite poorly, too! But, when

you get that "sweet spot," you may decide you don't need or even want, a "pedal!" Depends, too, on what

tone you like, though. Anyway...just my 2-cents worth.

CB[/quote']

I second CB's response on the Fender BJr. But some guitars do not sound good through a BJr so try your guit thru it. Also if you like Vox but don't need too many permeations and not a lot of volume look at the Vox DA-5. But to me if you can stand 22 tube watts, the perfect amp is the Fender DRRI.

Someone at another forum recommended the Ragin' Cajun speaker and I am thinking of giving it a try.

CodeMonk' date=' I see you have the Ragin' Cajun, can you provide some of your thoughts with the swap?

[/quote']

It really brought the amp to life IMO. The original speaker was so-so, a bit muddy, but I had read good things about the various Eminence speakers and went with a modal that had the highest sensitivity rating. But that wasn't the only thing that got me to buy that speaker (But it probably was what "finalized the deal").

I didn't get a chance to try out different speakers, but someone on the valvetronix web site did and the Rajin Cajun was near the top (barely beaten by a Jensen I think). But then again, that was just another persons personal opinion.

But then again, that all we really have to go on when buying something new that we can't really test out ourselves.

I'm happy with it and I highly recommend the Rajin Cajun speaker. And I would definitely get another one should the need arise (I'm considering building a cabinet with 2x10 and 1x15).

If you wanna believe the MF ad hype bit: "Perfect for American rock, blues, and country style".

That describes what I was looking for, so I went with it.

Look here as well:

Harmony Central Review of the Rajin Cajun

I'm happy with it and I highly recommend the Rajin Cajun speaker. And I would definitely get another one should the need arise (I'm considering building a cabinet with 2x10 and 1x15).

I've read most of the things about them and pretty much have settled on that as my replacement. I'm also converting some old Advent speakers for cabs to be used with my Valve Jr and read where they do a nice job with the Valve Jr.

Your enthuzaism for them is matched by the guy at another forum that PM'd me with a "Strum, you have to check these out". He said it was a real nice match with a modeling amp. So I may use them for both my amps, but definitely the AD30VT.

I second CB on the AC15... its the only amp i use these days ( and i've got one too many)...

At a gig i'm always mic'ed up anyway so its loud enough, and just the right volume at home...

This is if you use a pedal board cause you dont have any effects on an AC15...

Hang on to that Vox though; u never know when you'll gas for those effects...

There are some good suggestions for alternative amps, but I wouldn't sell the AD30VT. I haven't used mine in three weeks and I plugged my Wildkat and RP350 into it tonight and it kicks butt. If nothing else, it's a great back-up, but I feel it's far more than that.

Playing it and discussing the Rajin Cajun has the amp juices flowing!!!

GASS - Guitar Amp Speaker Syndrome or something along those lines.

I've had my AD30VT for about 18months now and I'm still undecided......

When I compare it to my brothers' marshall mx30, it obviously has a greater range of tones due to the amp modelling and more effects, but there is something about the marshall - you can just plug in and go - the AD30VT requires a bit more tweaking to find a good sound IMO

I dont gig or play in a band anymore (though i did buy the missus a digi drumkit for her birthday and I'm hoping we'll be able to jam once I get some decent monitors!) and do a lot of recording in cubase using things like guitar rig and amplitube etc. I find the VOX a bit limited for recording in this manner - I prefer to use VST plugins etc because the guitar track is always recorded clean which means If i later decide that I don't want plexis up to 11, clean fender tones would be better then I can do so without re-recording anything.

However, I have heard that using a preamp would make the plugins sound better, but if i use the line out on the vox it really messes up the plugins.

However, if I do use the vox to record without any plugins etc, then you can get some pleasing results.

I REALLY miss my old tones that I used to get from my '80's Peavy Classic 50 and later my little all tube marshall (the Brownish grey one that the did as a limited run back in the '90's) and also my old tube screamer.

So I really want to get a little all tube amp (or build my own) in the next year or so.

I may keep the VOX, I'm not sure yet. One thing is for certain though - this is a great beginners' amp and well priced. I can only image what could have been If I had this 20 years ago.

One thing that was worth doing for me was upgrading the speaker to a celestion g-10, from memory I got it for about £30 new and it does seem to move the air around a bit more and firm up the bass.

I tried playing with the back off while changing speakers but it just did not sound right to me, so mine went back on

I could be wrong (usually am) but I wouldn't really expect that changing the tube would make that much difference - has any body done any testing/recording that demonstrates a change?

• 3 months later...

I find the Vox AD series to be really useful. Getting close to 2 years w/ mine. I would gig with either my EPI BC 30 or Ampeg SJR 12 over the Vox (I have a 15watter-not the reason I wouldn't gig w/ it-just want all tubes and my pedal board for that situation) but for small jams and practice, moving around the house, lessons-whatever-it's like a musical swiss army knife. Definitely get a tube job, but don't ditch your Vox...unless it's necesary to help finance the tube amp!

I am also a long-term user of the Vox AD30 VT. I don't know about getting 'bored' with it, but I am in the market for a new amp. I won't sell the Vox as there's no real financial benefit to that course of action. It will always be a handy back-up amp.

My problems with the Vox really, are these:

a) The reverb sucks. I have to use a Holy Grail Pedal.

=D> The only really convincing amp models are the Vox models (which is fair enough - besides which, I bought the amp as a poor man's way into the Vox tone, so I'm not really complaining about this.)

c) The big one this. It's just too damn fiddly. Either that, or I'm too damn lazy. I love Telecasters and SGs. 2 pick-ups, 1 three-way-switch, and simplistic volume and tone controls. I kind of like my amps to be the same way. The Vox has too many "Tap 1 (twice) and then set the edit knob" features for my liking.

So, while I can still get a Fender Blues Jr for $599, I'm about to place my order.

OK! The trick with evening out the volume is the volume control between the presets and your settings. Then use the master for you overall volume. The trick with these thing is also reading the manual, plus playing with it. I had just bought a Celestion tube 10 for giggles, and put the Eminence right back in. It just broke up to easliy. The Eminence RamRod for me did the trick! Another trick is bring the master all the way up, then lower the overall output with the attenuater.

One last thing, the higher the db rating, or senseativity rating of the speaker will affect the volume too. The db rating of the RamRod is 100db, the other speakers ranged from 94-96db's. It does make a difference!!!

Wow, this post got resurrected from the deep past!

I am not quite so bored anymore and I haven't changed a thing. Since I play later at night I tend to use headphones a lot. Good headphones are a must.

I have to admit that when I don't use headphones I don't seem to play the same. Nervous about volume, I guess.

c) The big one this. It's just too damn fiddly. Either that' date=' or I'm too damn lazy. I love Telecasters and SGs. 2 pick-ups, 1 three-way-switch, and simplistic volume and tone controls. I kind of like my amps to be the same way. The Vox has too many "Tap 1 (twice) and then set the edit knob" features for my liking.

So, while I can still get a Fender Blues Jr for $599, I'm about to place my order.[/quote']

I'm with you on the "fiddly" thing. I like the amp for what it is, but don't like having to pull out the manual everytime I want to change something.

I also have a Valve Jr. half stack, which I love, that is until my Blues Jr. gets here later this week. I'd been thinking of getting one a few months down the road, but noticed over the weekend while in Best Buy that their price was the "new" $599 (up from $479). Checked MF, GC and Sweetwater when I got home. SW was at $599, the other two still at $479. I called my SW rep and he matched the lower price so it's on the way!

As for SS or modeling amps, I really like my Roland Cube30X.

I'm with you on the "fiddly" thing. I like the amp for what it is, but don't like having to pull out the manual everytime I want to change something.

Listen, if you score a new amp, you can't tell me your not going to " fiddle " around till you find what get's you off, Right? Well when you times it by eleven, that's a lot of fiddling. I bought mine primarily for the VOX models. The mods I made accomplished that.

As for the manual, it gives you the info to best utilize that particular amp, also the effects. I don't really use much more than reverb, and maybe a little slapback rather than use my pedal board. Plus alot depends on what guitar and pickups your sporting too. I have to admit, my two Gretsch axe's sound great through the VOX settings which makes my day...

I got bored with my Vox, too - especially after I got my VJr - but then I switched the speakers out (I have an AD50VT 212) and fell in love with it again. I went with Eminence Cannabis Rex - major difference after break in - and it made all the difference for me. I'd recommend a speaker change, and I do like Eminence.

A Ragin Cajun. Might have to look into that. I had heard a Celestion G-10 was heavily recommended for these but that is what' date=' $75 bucks or more plus shipping. A new tube sounds do-able and a much less expensive alternative. Now if I could only normalize volume across mods then I would be much happier! Thanks for the discussion and thanks to the admins for not axing the thread.[/quote']

Try this Dave...

1. Make note of every setting you like.

2. Access each of those patches, adjust to perfection -- INCLUDING VOLUME -- and save against a slot you don't like the OEM sound.

3. After that, access them one at a time again, but this time, save them all to the same bank, so you don't have to jump all over the place.

4. If you ever get tired of them, you can reset them all at once.

5. Write down the slot and a brief description of your setting, then either scan it or type your notes into the computer so you can always have a copy available. You can even send a copy to your cell phone, as a jpg file, and access it like a picture anytime.

Archived