Gibson Brands Forums

I fancy a EJ 200

Woko

Hello All.

I played a Epiphone EJ 200 in my local music store today and I was very impressed with the guitars looks tone and action. The price was £219 so it also seems to be great value.

Just wondered what you folk think of the ej-200.

p.s. The salesman in the store also let me play a Gibson J 200 (true vintage) at £2,299 I did'nt know I looked like a rich man. It was a beautiful guitar but over ten times the price of the Epiphone , I dont thik so.

I have an EJ-200 and I'm very happy with it, it had a big tone and as I'm into playing a lot of oasis its great for me because it gives a perfect sound. I have dropped the strings down from 12's to 11's tho and im happy with the results. I'm thinking of adding a LR Biggs Pickup in it, same as noel uses because they seem to give a great sound. I tried out an EJ-300 previous to purchasing the 200 and i was not happy with it at all. Go for the 200, i don't think you will be disappointed with it.

I also have a ej 300 with the cutaway sounds good but no volume the top is way thicker than more guitar s' date='I think thats why theres no volume [/quote']

I am guessing it is the braces. Those 300s have some of the tallest braces I have ever seen on a guitar. Ya might try having them shaved - should open the top up quite a bit.

EJ-300S is a solid top and a very nice guitar...don't know why people here are always down on it' date=' it sounds great...

[/quote']

I have an EJ300SCE, it's a great guitar and contrary to some opinion it has heaps of volume.

The solid top is showing some signs of early maturity as an noticeable improvement in tone in just 2 1/2 years which surprises me as I expected that to happen over a longer period.

The "Shadow" preamp is very satisfactory in these guitars and adding a bone nut has helped tone and my intention is to eventually change the bridge and pins to bone, but this guitar is no slouch just as it is. The solid top gives me cause to expect further tonal improvements as time goes by. It is a bulky guitar however and is sometimes uncomfortable to play, especially in some seating positions, such as a surface where you sink down.

Good luck

Digger

Played the EJ-200 today at GC and loved the tone and fit and finish, playability. I'll probably go buy it. I played lots of high end guitars, not looking to buy anything, just killing time. For some reason, the Epiphones are standing out to me big time.The salesman pulled a Gibson 200 out of a glass case and we swapped back and forth and I was amazed ( and so was he ) how the Epi stood toe to toe with the Gibby. No question the Gibson was better, but that Epi was close enough for me. Price on the Gibson - 5,600. Of course the Gibson might be around a hundred years from now and the Epi might blow up in a few years, or maybe not, we'll see. I'm becoming a huge Epiphone fan. This will be my third.

Think I'm going to go back tomorrow. The only thing is, they want 399. and Musicians Friend 349. Hope they'll meet that price.

I owned one once. Purchased online after reading good reviews and falling in love it's looks. But I have to say I was extremely disappointed with it's poor sound and playability. I quickly sold it on and bought a Washburn J28SDL in it's place. Now there is a superb guitar, solid top, great sound and stunning good looks. Forget the crappy Epiphone, get a Washburn - you won't be sorry.

Well, I bought it and I must have found a good one 'cause I love everything about it. Ya'll are right though. I tried 2 others in the store that I wouldn't have. I got this one home yesterday and debated on whether to change strings or not. Well I did and it's even better - way better. Couldn't be more pleased with it.

Well' date=' I bought it and I must have found a good one 'cause I love everything about it. Couldn't be more pleased it. [/with quote']

Congrats glide. I've had mine for about, or over maybe, 10 years and couldn't be happier with mine also. I've tried some of the other Epiphones recently and they do nothing for me...mine must be broke in I guess. Them Jumbos do need some bigger wire to get that top to sing unplugged....I wouldn't run nothing under 11s IMO.

Don't think so...25-1/2". Same as a Startocaster.

The neck on mine feels very comfortable, and just as easy to play as my electrics....then again it's been set up to MY specs. At the moment I have 11s on mine, but fixing to go up tp 12s on it myself. IMO it's got one great neck...definitely like mine.

same scale as a Gibson SJ-300...

also note the EJ-300S is constructed of different wood than the EJ-200:

Hardware: Gold

Scale: 25.5'

Nut Width: 1.68"

Neck: Set

Neck Mat: Mahogany

FB/Inlay: RW/Crown

Binding: B/N/H

Body Mat: Rosewood

Top: Solid Spruce

Archived