Gibson Brands Forums

Just got my Hammond 125DSE...plus Bias resistor question

Riffster

Holy crap this thing is huge, it looks so innocent in pictures...I will be using it in my Version 2 VJH.

Then I will use the stock OT from the VJH on my Champ 600 so I can have 4,8,16 ohm taps. I am making a head out the Champ... as in "void-the-warranty" kind of head...

True, I am glad there is plenty of space for it.

I will not be able to install it until next week and I am worried I am going to void the warranty....bwahahaha... I almost said that with a straight face...

This is a stupid question but how come the OT has 3 primary impdances but only 2 input wires? does it read the signal and uses the appropriate impedance or something along those lines?

Edited to add this question:

I bought a 1K ohm resistor to set the bias since my VJH has the 220K resistor and the dissipation on the EL84 is at 14W. So the only 5W resistor I found is a wirewound-ceramic encased resistor from www.tubesandmore.com, will this resistor work just fine? the description in their wepage seems to point this is a tough resistor.

True' date=' I am glad there is plenty of space for it.

I will not be able to install it until next week and I am worried I am going to void the warranty....bwahahaha... I almost said that with a straight face...

This is a stupid question but how come the OT has 3 primary impdances but only 2 input wires? does it read the signal and uses the appropriate impedance or something along those lines?

Edited to add this question:

I bought a 1K ohm resistor to set the bias since my VJH has the 220K resistor and the dissipation on the EL84 is at 14W. So the only 5W resistor I found is a wirewound-ceramic encased resistor from www.tubesandmore.com, will this resistor work just fine? the description in their wepage seems to point this is a tough resistor.[/quote']

Those "cement block" 5 watters are overkill for this application,but it never hurts to go in that direction. Sometimes those are the only thing available in a certain value. In short it will work fine! BTW you can use one of the old mounting holes for the DSE and you only have to drill one new mounting hole.

Well I am almost done with the OT but succumbed to tempation and installed the VJH OT transformer on my Fender Champ 600 first so I ran out of time for tonight, sounds real good through a Weber Blue Dog but could not crank it up.

The OT is fatter than the Champ's and fits close to the power tube but it fits without modification.

I feel a bit stupid tough I see that the Champ has a switched speaker jack and the 3 I bought for the different taps are non-switched, I did not see that one coming...why is the speaker out jack switched? In addition it connects to a resistor, I am going to need some help on that from some of the good folks here even if its offline so for now I connected the 8 ohm tap.

Ran out of time tonight, more to come.

Well I am almost done with the OT but succumbed to tempation and installed the VJH OT transformer on my Fender Champ 600 first so I ran out of time for tonight' date=' sounds real good through a Weber Blue Dog but could not crank it up.

The OT is fatter than the Champ's and fits close to the power tube but it fits without modification.

I feel a bit stupid tough I see that the Champ has a switched speaker jack and the 3 I bought for the different taps are non-switched, I did not see that one coming...why is the speaker out jack switched? In addition it connects to a resistor, I am going to need some help on that from some of the good folks here even if its offline so for now I connected the 8 ohm tap.

Ran out of time tonight, more to come.[/quote']

The resistor R7 2.2k is part the feedback circuit. it connects to the cathode of the second stage at R3 1.5k and R23 47 ohm.

switched jacks are not necessary (never play without a speaker load)and cannot be used on non used taps (it will short the secondary winding of the output resulting in a 0 ohm load)

the feedback circuit is connected to the 4 ohm tap (stock) You can try each tap or not use a feedback loop at all with the addition of a small disc cap (250pf or so) across pin 5 & 8 of the 6v6 (not required for all 6v6s) the 47 ohm resistor can be shorted

As to the question about the primary/secondary of the ot. The primary has 2 wires (not the secondary) the secondary can have as many taps as designed for (speaker load should never be lower than the tap selected)

Thanks for the info, I have been running the 8 ohm tap through the stock jack and circuit and it works fine of course.

I do want to either add the 3 output jacks or use the stock circuit and jack and install a 3-way rotary or slide switch. I am goign to have to think about how ti install that switch. Would a switch be a better option?

On the VJH I could notice how better the amp sounds when using the preamp bypass after installing the hammond.

Archived