Gibson Brands Forums

Just in Case I Decide To Do It

Greg Curtis

Hey guys I just bought that Les Paul Standard Plus from ebay about 10 days ago. She sounds good and everything looks cool. I was wondering if I wanted to switch the pots and pickups which ones would you recommend. I'd just like to go with all american made parts for it and after all the guitar is 10 yrs old. I know guitarfetish has a Les Paul kit with pots and caps and toggle switch but don't know what quality it is. The humbucker sound I'd like to keep but maybe something bluezy-er. Any suggestions from the experts.

I've got orange drops. they can vary a bit but I've got standard values.

they take standard size humbucks.

you are better off with cts alpha or cge. many people don't know cge is what gibson used for a long time.

full size pots are better.

people tend to freak out if they switch from metric, because you may have to redrill the holes for them.

but it's really easy and safe. I put a piece of masking tape over the hole and then it's just use a sharp bit and hold the drill straight.

Goes right through, no chipping unless you angle the drill bit wierdly.

I suggest good pots, orange drops, if the switch works well leave it.. I didn't swap mine out on the lp.

the sheri is old so it got a new one.

If you want bluesy.. go with vintage output.. around 8K.

I haven't heard all that much good about gfs humbucks, but the p90s seem to be quite popular.

others may offer different opinion.

I used humbuck size p 90s in my sheri. and liked them so much I put one in the neck pos. of the lp with a humbuck in the bridge spot.

I've very happy.

I used Kent Armstrongs on both.

They are 9K (measure a little less) or 7K in the vintage output model.

I chose the hotter of the two..

I found the neck p90 at 9K tended to over power the bridge's 8K. which one would expect..

so I changed the mounting ring to a thinner, less tall, model so I could sink the pickup a bit more and not have go beneath the ring.

KA's come with all hardware and mounting rings.

worked very good.. looks sharp and now the pups are balanced right.

I like the KA vintage humbuck for the 12 pole pieces, as well as the output and tone. It lets' me get better string to string balance

and fuller signal to the pups.

There are a lot of good pups out there.. I'm sure GFS has some good humbucks.. I just haven't read about them much.

I am nuts about my lp and it's just a modest studio, and I think it's well worth the expense, this guitar blows the stock model out of the

water in every way.

TWANG

Archived