Gibson Brands Forums

Blues 30 Amp

rgb7

I can't compare the BC30 to the other Epi offerings as I haven't had the chance to play through them. From what I've heard from other people though - any of the Epi amps with dsp (i.e modelling/effects) are pretty dire. Bit like the Line 6 stuff - great if you want modeled s/s but just doesn't cut it if you want the true valve feel and sound. Valve Jnrs seem really popular but at 5w you're going to be reliant on foh or pa for anything above a very small gig (got one on my chrissy present list though cos they are something special!).

Socal 50 looks really interesting if you're looking for something more hard edged.

I just get down on my knees every night and pray that eventually Epiphone will see sense and make a BC50 in combo and head format. :-k[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Thoughts on this AMP as compared to other Epi's?

I am curious about the Epi with the new Hot Rod Head also' date=' as it's a bit more in line w/my budget.

Ran across this also..........., http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=487056X

As always, your input and expertise is appreciated.

Randall[/quote']

When these came out, I had a 75 watt Line 6 Spider II and I was looking at buying something "more serious" like a Vox AC30 but thought that would be overkill for my skill and interest level. The BC30 was just what I needed. At the time, no local stores stocked them so it was a blind purchase but I have been pleasantly surprised. I love the tone of this amp. The amp sounds great (especially since I replaced the power tubes), the spring reverb is exceptional, the "mid" control on the distortion channel gives you great thin (in a good way) vintage tones, and the interactive EQ is a nice added touch.

I've run into three snags that I have found a little disappointing but overall, I've been very pleased. Those snags are:

1) A scratchy treble pot.

2) The light in the power switch didn't always come on when the power was turned on.

3) After replacing the power tubes, the thing hums fairly loudly when first switched on (yes, even when I warm it up in "standby" mode first.)

Epiphone covered the first two under warranty and the 3rd goes away after about a minute or two of use. I consider all of those pretty minor issues. I think this amp is a great value but I would like it at almost any price.

Thank you!

When these came out' date=' I had a 75 watt Line 6 Spider II and I was looking at buying something "more serious" like a Vox AC30 but thought that would be overkill for my skill and interest level. The BC30 was just what I needed. At the time, no local stores stocked them so it was a blind purchase but I have been pleasantly surprised. I [b']love[/b] the tone of this amp. The amp sounds great (especially since I replaced the power tubes), the spring reverb is exceptional, the "mid" control on the distortion channel gives you great thin (in a good way) vintage tones, and the interactive EQ is a nice added touch.

I've run into three snags that I have found a little disappointing but overall, I've been very pleased. Those snags are:

1) A scratchy treble pot.

2) The light in the power switch didn't always come on when the power was turned on.

3) After replacing the power tubes, the thing hums fairly loudly when first switched on (yes, even when I warm it up in "standby" mode first.)

Epiphone covered the first two under warranty and the 3rd goes away after about a minute or two of use. I consider all of those pretty minor issues. I think this amp is a great value but I would like it at almost any price.

Archived