Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton Upgrades

RevCharlieD

I'm new to the forum, not to music.

So besides the stuff I've already done -

new pickup's JB at the bridge, and Jazz at the neck

New internal wiring & pots, new caps, switches and jacks

Useful coil-tap switch in the bridge pickup tome pot, etc.

I was about to embark on the next wave of upgrades, the nut, bridge and stop tail. I was researching the alternatives and ran into a real show-stopper. It seems that the various factories for these beauties, used different bridge mounts and mounting widths. Oh what fun to figure out.

So before I chase this one down the rabbit hole, has anyone done the bridge upgrade to a roller bridge and fine tuning tail piece? If so I would greatly appreciate the info.

BTW it seems this is a Samick

Cheers....

Your Korean Sheri, like mine, takes a now no longer in production bridge.

I have one in gold in stock. I think my supplier has one left in chrome.. I may have just sold the last one!

The tailpiece only has to be metric, but the bridge is oddly spaced.

I would suggest either going with graph tech saddles, which will do a great job and not mess with your tone.

Or get a new repro bridge. they, by the way, are better than the originals, I put one on mine. And I've sold a few.. and all the old ones I've see can be pretty crappy.. very porous! (got one in that had 4 broken saddles.. it was like styrofoam inside those things)

I'd go so far as to say every korean sheri owner ought to consider the graph techs.. I'm sure we were all losing tone with the crappy saddle metal.

I've not tried a fine tune tailpiece, personally, but I believe there are those in here who have.. and with good results.

ha ha you're beard is whiter than mine!

sorry. I just have a nasty grandpa inside me that has to get out sometimes.

I have some pics up at photobucket of my trade off on bridge and tail.. I'll post 'em if you want to take a peek. But it was pretty easy

to do and the guitar definately sounded and looked much better. The gold on the repros seems .. golder? *G*

seems thicker somehow too.

I have a schaller roller bridge on my epi lp.. I'll try to see if that matches up well..

having to pull the bushings and redrill the holes for something like that is not a thing I'd want to do to a sheri. they being so cosmetically

wowzo and all to start with.

At the very least. graph tech will work. sound good.. and on a black one. be perfectly cool cosmetically, too!

So you are in pretty good shape for choices.

graph tech saddles and fine tune tail.. probably be very cool!

you can pm me and I'll check on stock and pricing for ya, too.

ps.

I used fender style dome knobs in gold on mine. it's a natural with gold hardware and cream p90s.. humbuck size.. also added a cream guard, I build guards for them.

On yours I see the knobs are numbered.. so I thought I'd mention I have some gold pointers left.. they look kinda classy and if you bend the end up they don't stick you in the fingers.

I ordered extras when I did mine and nobody wanted the gold ones.

Your Korean Sheri' date=' like mine, takes a now no longer in production bridge.

I have one in gold in stock. I think my supplier has one left in chrome.. I may have just sold the last one!

The tailpiece only has to be metric, but the bridge is oddly spaced.

I would suggest either going with graph tech saddles, which will do a great job and not mess with your tone.

Or get a new repro bridge. they, by the way, are better than the originals, I put one on mine. And I've sold a few.. and all the old ones I've see can be pretty crappy.. very porous! (got one in that had 4 broken saddles.. it was like styrofoam inside those things)

I'd go so far as to say every korean sheri owner ought to consider the graph techs.. I'm sure we were all losing tone with the crappy saddle metal.

I've not tried a fine tune tailpiece, personally, but I believe there are those in here who have.. and with good results.

ha ha you're beard is whiter than mine!

sorry. I just have a nasty grandpa inside me that has to get out sometimes.

I have some pics up at photobucket of my trade off on bridge and tail.. I'll post 'em if you want to take a peek. But it was pretty easy

to do and the guitar definately sounded and looked much better. The gold on the repros seems .. golder? *G*

seems thicker somehow too.

I have a schaller roller bridge on my epi lp.. I'll try to see if that matches up well..

having to pull the bushings and redrill the holes for something like that is not a thing I'd want to do to a sheri. they being so cosmetically

wowzo and all to start with.

At the very least. graph tech will work. sound good.. and on a black one. be perfectly cool cosmetically, too!

So you are in pretty good shape for choices.

graph tech saddles and fine tune tail.. probably be very cool!

you can pm me and I'll check on stock and pricing for ya, too.

ps.

I used fender style dome knobs in gold on mine. it's a natural with gold hardware and cream p90s.. humbuck size.. also added a cream guard, I build guards for them.

On yours I see the knobs are numbered.. so I thought I'd mention I have some gold pointers left.. they look kinda classy and if you bend the end up they don't stick you in the fingers.

I ordered extras when I did mine and nobody wanted the gold ones.

[/quote']Hi Twang , I was thinking of putting a Stetzbar on my Sheri . What do you think , any probs I'm likely to run into ? Cheers axegrinder .

I'm thinking about installing an Earvana compensated nut to my Tobacco burst Samick Sheri cause I'm getting tuning problems. I'm told the 1 11/16 Gibson style Shelf Nut will do the trick. Hadn't heard about the Graph Tech saddles, might look into that too. Already have replaced electrics with Switchcraft jack CTS pots and Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday pickups. Awsome tone but if theres another ounce of tone that I can still squeeze out of it I'm up for it.

Pete

I'll try to find out if stetsbar can fit on the sheris... or at least which ones..

we all know the hassle with korean bridge spacing..

looks pretty neat!

I'll email the company and see if I can be a dealer. some co's. like seymour duncan, don't like little shops like mine they want big storefronts and

all that jazz. But I may be able to get it via allparts etc.. and if I can, I'll give one a shot here and let you know what's up. But I'll also ask

about their fitting various models of the sheri, dot, etc.

I've also been interested in trying the new earvanna nut.. for one thing, it appears from the Premier Guitar ads that they've changed the ugly gray plastic for something a lot better looking, and probably less tone sucking.

I had one for a strat but that plastic was so soft..

TWANG

pencil lead in your slots will help.. graph techs will, I think, probably help, but certainly not harm tone. and tuning issues will be less, too, I'm sure.

got a fast response from stetsbar.. they want me to call on the phone so we can talk about the korean sheri issues.. so far they see no problem

with it fitting that model.

I've got other metric bridges here so I can give them a good idea of what's up on that.

and we'll see if we can find out what's what with them. nice people though.. and looks like a pretty nice product.

TWANG

Archived