Gibson Brands Forums

What order for pedals?

mrjones200x

Is there any paticular order you should run your pedals in?

I will be getting a metal type pedal (either behringer um300 or digitech death metal) and an eq pedal (probably danelctro fish and chips) for christmas and wondered if there is a best order to run your pedals in?

Also have a boss ds1 which i only use to boost my clean volume on my v3.

My thinking is

Guitar-EQ-DS1-Metal-V3

Any iput would be nice

Thanks

Is there any paticular order you should run your pedals in?

I will be getting a metal type pedal (either behringer um300 or digitech death metal) and an eq pedal (probably danelctro fish and chips) for christmas and wondered if there is a best order to run your pedals in?

Also have a boss ds1 which i only use to boost my clean volume on my v3.

My thinking is

Guitar-EQ-DS1-Metal-V3

Any iput would be nice

Thanks

Yeah that pretty much looks good. You might try the eq after the distortions too. With so few pedals, experiment!

My full setup is usually: guitar -> tuner -> wah -> distortions -> phaser/flanger -> compressor -> tremolo -> looper -> Blues Custom amp (usually on mild overdrive.) Most people would probably put their compressor before their distortions so the input into the distortions is louder and more consistent for more consistent overdrive. Sometimes I do that but a lot of times I prefer to have an uncompressed signal so the distortion is more dynamic. That doesn't apply too much to very high gain metal distortions though. : ) Using the compressor after the distortions and phasor helps to smooth out the "end result" since my phaser can cause the volume to vary a lot depending on the settings.

-Brandon

I think that first link is the best. It talks more about how switching the order affects the sound - like the difference between "coloring" a distorted sound and distorting a "colored" sound. Some things should be done a certain way (volume effects like tremolo should go after compressors) but I recommend experimenting a bit.

Although it's fun to experiment and there is no right or wrong really.......some simple truths apply! From a noise floor perspective you always want to have your modulation effects after your overdrives and distortion units unless of course you like that flanger "hiss" on 11!=D>

As already stated no rules, just have to experiment. However as Lay mentions some do work best in a certain order, or combination.

Heck I've run ODs in the FX loop, delays before Distortion. I've been playing for over 40 years and still not decided where I like my wah-wah best #-o .

At any rate here is a link at Boss that talks about such.

http://media.bossus.com/bugonline/how_to.asp?art=order

Although it's fun to experiment and there is no right or wrong really.......some simple truths apply! From a noise floor perspective you always want to have your modulation effects after your overdrives and distortion units unless of course you like that flanger "hiss" on 11!#-o

There are "simple truths" (compression after tremolo is pretty indisputable I think) but I would disagree with always having modulation after OD's. When you introduce high gain pedals into a signal chain, noise becomes a concern but modulating a distorted signal and distorting a modulated signal have different sounds. Not to mention that distortions can get pretty messy pretty fast. A mild flange or phase before a heavy distortion can get completely covered up. Flanging/phasing after can't.

i have always wondered about this sort of thing too.

since i am thinking now about stereo chorusing and phasing, i like the idea of the following:

strat>morely emerald echo>dod stereo flanger>arion stereo chorus>left out: mxr phase 90>mxr microchorus>amp

>right out: mxr phase 90>mxr microchourus>amp

that chorus setup shimmers and you can FEEL it! cool leslie tones with the phasers too!

i would like to get another amp and an a/b box for a dry overdrive sound.

this would be the ultimate stage setup for me. in the studio, i usually only plug in the stomp boxes i need on the recording. but, if i ever go battery free, i will make a pedalboard to support this setup.

unless of course you like that flanger "hiss" on 11!

A couple years ago, I went to see Chris Duarte at a local blues venue, just days after I'd seen the incredible Michael Burks (you MUST see this man live, if you haven't) at the same venue. Daurte's rig looked like something you'd find in a teenage garage band...cabinet on bottom, Fender Twin or something along that stacked on top of that, Marshall head on top of the Fender, and some other crap piled along with it all. It looked like absolute junk.

He tuned after every song (with no mute, btw), and his guitar was so far out of tune by the third chord of the next song that it was painful to listen to. By the fourth song, he clicked on a flanger to do a quiet opening passge, and the hissing, swoshing, buzzing, humming sound was louder than his guitar. My son and I got up and vacated the premises.

What a major letdown, to watch someone as professional as the Ironman one night, and then, just a few nights later, at the same venue, see a national act that really shouldn't have even bothered showing up.

Sorry...I digress...couldn't help myself, when I saw something about flanger hiss...carry on.

There are "simple truths" (compression after tremolo is pretty indisputable I think) but I would disagree with always having modulation after OD's. When you introduce high gain pedals into a signal chain' date=' noise becomes a concern but modulating a distorted signal and distorting a modulated signal have different sounds. Not to mention that distortions can get pretty messy pretty fast. A mild flange or phase before a heavy distortion can get completely covered up. Flanging/phasing after can't.[/quote']

I think you missed my point...as I said there is no right or wrong but (from a noise floor perspective)....ie ...for the least noise it's better to have your modulated effects after your OD.s etc... The other thing about adding gain after modulated effects is that flangers,chorus and phase shifters have some hi freq characteristics that can get really obnoxiously over emphasized that way. Again it's a personal preference and I admittedly don't use a lot of heavy distortion in my rig at all,but with really heavy distortion anything subtle is a pretty moot point anyway IMHO.

yeah' date=' those 1-spots look great!

i am thinking more in lines of surge protection, higher MA to eliminate hum, etc. those dunlop bricks look good. do they come with all the connectors nessesary?

what about the dunlop brick vs the voodoo lab vs behringer, etc?

[/quote']

I know the voodoo lab comes with connectors, don't know about the others...never used neither, sorry.

I use one of those surge protector terminal strip type things that stays with my amps. I just run an extension chord from my board (or off the 1 Spot rather) to my backline and plug into it also. I only use 2 to 4 pedals most of the times anyhow....and one of them is just a tuner. LOL....I'm always trying to make my rig smaller.

yeah' date=' those 1-spots look great!

i am thinking more in lines of surge protection, higher MA to eliminate hum, etc. those dunlop bricks look good. do they come with all the connectors nessesary?

what about the dunlop brick vs the voodoo lab vs behringer, etc?

[/quote']

I would look at a 1-spot for 2 to 4 effects used in a home-environment.

I went for a Dunlop Brick myself since it's the only reasonable priced roadworthy powerunit to come with 3x 18V-outs, so no custom solder-wiring 18V cables like Voodoolabs, CIOKS(undoubtly great products, but really...) and yes it came with plenty of cables.

If I had to look for one again I'd check the Godlyke powerunits.

O' I don't know Ric. I only use my pedals on stage, only time I mess with pedals for the most at home is when I'm getting familiar with a new one. Anyhow this 1 Spot has proven to be pretty road worthy so far....but as you point out I only use like maybe 4 at the most. It does provide up to 1700ma of juice, enough to power my Line6 DL-4 and the other pedals I use all at the same time.

So many to choose from out there though...LOL...I'm just cheap.

O' I don't know Ric. I only use my pedals on stage' date=' only time I mess with pedals for the most at home is when I'm getting familiar with a new one. Anyhow this 1 Spot has proven to be pretty road worthy so far....but as you point out I only use like maybe 4 at the most. It does provide up to 1700ma of juice, enough to power my Line6 DL-4 and the other pedals I use all at the same time.

So many to choose from out there though...LOL...I'm just cheap.[/quote']

Duly noted Raf...:-) I must admit the 1-Spot's 1700ma at this pricepoint is a pretty amazing deal.

I went for a Dunlop Brick myself since it's the only reasonable priced roadworthy powerunit to come with 3x 18V-outs' date=' so no custom solder-wiring 18V cables like Voodoolabs, CIOKS(undoubtly great products, but really...) and yes it came with plenty of cables.

If I had to look for one again I'd check the Godlyke powerunits.[/quote']

A lot of these posts about the 1Spot adapters seem to be describing them as second-rate but adequate. I can't think of a time when I've thought to myself "man, this power supply just isn't cutting it." ](*,) I find the 1Spot to be as good and "clean" as anything else. I've also found it to be quite adequate for numerous pedals. In fact, I use one 9V 1Spot adapter with two of the 5-plug cables chained for a total of 9 connections. I don't use all 9 at once but even if I did, you might be surprised at how little power most pedals use.

Since most pedals are made to work with "standard" 200 mA wall adapters, it's pretty safe to assume that most pedals draw less than 200 mA. Most use quite a bit less. Here are the numbers for pedals I own. I found them in manuals and product specs online.

Boss TU-2 tuner (55 mA max)

Boss BF-3 flanger (40 mA)

Boss RC-20XL looper (120 mA)

EHX Small Stone Nano phaser (up to 100 mA)

EHX Metal Muff with Top Boost distortion (up to 100 mA with 4 gain stages!)

EHX Stereo Pulsar tremolo (up to 100 mA)

MXR Super Comp compressor (not sure but most comps are simple and seem to use about 10 mA)

DOD 250 "Overdrive Preamp" (not sure but most of Boss's basic OD's draw 4-10 mA)

Vox V847 wah (supposedly 540 microamps)

Assuming everything is using the max, all of those together are up to just 535.54 mA, well below the 1Spot's 1700 mA rating. I would recommend a 1Spot to anyone.

-Brandon

My new setup looks as tho its gonna be this.

Guitar (Epi LP)---Behringer CS100 (Comp/Sust)---Boss DS1 (Distortion)---Behringer UM300 (Metal Dis)---Belcat delay.

Most prob gonna buy 1-spot power supply also

May buy a wah later in the new year which i will put between guitar and the compressor.

Then i'll add as i get. Always after second hand fx pedals!

Archived