Gibson Brands Forums

To be 13 again.......

BarreNone

Well, my son is turning 13 in a couple of weeks, and we had a deal. If he stuck it out for 2 years of piano lessons, and really learned something about music I agreed to get him an electric guitar. He lived up to his end of the bargin, now its my turn. LOL!

Help!!! I need some suggestions about what would be a good starter for him. (I have several guitars, all left handed, he is a righty.) He is a growing kid, but should'nt have any problem handling a full size guitar. I don't want to break the bank on this, but also don't want to have to replace a "beginner guitar" in 6 months. Any advice would be appreciated.

Epi LP Studio if you're willing to spend the $$. Otherwise, if you're wanting to go 'cheap', go with a Squier, an Agile (Rondo Music), or an Xavier (Guitarfetish.com). All are very decent starter guitars. The Epi LP is better than the others but is also about $100 more. However, he will never 'outgrow' it. He/you can upgrade the hardware & he can play it the rest of his life.

whos he a fan of? i think there are lots of good cheap guitars out there. you can get an ebay guitar from around £30 but you never always know what may be up with it till its in your hands... new squires or epis around £100. mex strat £300 or epi les pauls for similar price. i personnaly like "vintage" from jhs in the uk. they have wilkinson hardware on and are at good prices and have a big range of favourites.

I know that this is an Epiphone forum, and I'm risking being banned here (!) but I'll put my neck on the line....

If I was buying a guitar for a 13 year old, and I wanted it to last (and for him to continue to like it for more than 6 months) then a Squier Strat would be right up there at the top of the list. To me, they're a kind of "cover all bases" choice, most new players would be happy with one, they play nicely, they never go out of fashion, and they won't break the bank. They're easy to play too.

Other members here will be glad to know that I think an Epi LP of some description would be a great choice as well.

I'd probably steer clear of Sheratons, Rivieras etc, as I think they're not the easiest neck and fingerboard for young fingers to learn on... it can be a bit of a stretch for small fingers. They also tend to find more fans amongst the more mature players.

I hear what you're saying about "beginner" guitars, but if you stick to established makes like Squier or Epi, you can't really go wrong. I'd probably avoid the "Very cheap" end of the market though... he just won't enjoy the sound the instrument makes. Spend that extra 100 notes and make it worthwhile.

I wouldn't mind being a kid again if we had the technology they got now. I mean you can really let your fingers do the walking, or shopping... however the saying went, now a days.

Which is what I'd do..get on a MF or GC or any other web sites and both of yous see what he likes and you can afford. To many different body shapes out there.

At any rate, and IMO, but first one on my list to check would be a Fender Squire....and take it from there.

HA...typing at the same time Mugatu.

I gotta agree with Tulsa on the lp studio...great guitar for the price and easy to upgrade as he gets set in the type of music he wants to play. I have one and when set up right, easy to play....neck a bit thicker than my other guitars, but not so much so that it's a problem. When I was looking I had tried out the Dots...but that really does have a chunky fat neck and for a beginner might be a tad much.

Capt

Definately the SG! i think somthing like that will inspire him to play and play. If he's into rock getting him a strat wouldnt be the best idea. He's just going to look at music videos and get disheatened becasuse all these great hard rock stars are there with there gibsons with humbuckers.

If he can relate the instrument to the people playing the songs he loves, its gotta do a world of good to inspire him to play better.

BarreNone...all I can add, is it's always better to buy a guitar he'll "grow into," as opposed to out of, or tired of!

13 is an age where "peer pressure," and the changes that can produce, is ripe, too. But, if he's pretty confident,

and not so bothered/influenced by it, then spending a bit more, on a much better guitar, would be the way to go...IMHO.

Strats, Tele's, SG's and LP's can all play ANY kind of music! The Thin-line (Dot, Sheri's, Riviera's) can too, but they can be

an "acquired taste," and with the bigger body, take some getting used to. My Mom bought me my first guitar

(1964 Fender Strat, and case $280...LOL! But, in today's dollars, that would be over $1,600) new, when I was

at that same age. I still have, and Cherish it! I'm NOT advocating you spend that kind of money, just that if you

and he choose well, he could have it, the rest of his life! He'll, no doubt, buy others later. We ALL do! But there

is something "special" (or should be) about the "First!" Have fun shopping!

CB

Thanks to everyone for your input! I plan to let him pick out something he will be happy with; I think he already has some idea. I'm was just looking for some advice/experience as to where to start. Believe it or not, he may still ask for, and listen to, my advice.

The "grow into v. grow out of" comment is something I hadn't thought much about; thanks!

my first guitar was the one my dad left my mom in 1973 ish it was a crap accoustic that barely survived. he killed the piano in the garden he always wanted to play and couldn't... the guitar got stole in 1980 he died in 73 at about 28 years old. so i would have loved it forever...

my first real one was a black kay les paul that cost £45. it was awful and took all the skin off my fingers. i looked like i had been got at by a zombie. i have often wanted to put a bid in for one of them kays just to see if it's as bad as i remember. i had a kay sunburst strat as a second guitar i should have kept the first one as the 2 are so very different sounding but it got traded in. you can't go wrong with either of them as they may be used as a second spare guitar or for seperation on recordings...

If I was buying a guitar for a 13 year old, I would be inclined to buy one with a bolt on neck, ie, a strat or tele knockoff. If he snaps the headstock off, you are only out the cost of a new neck. I've had good luck with Squiers and Johnsons. Of course, all the Epiphones mentioned would be good choices if you want a set neck guitar.

If his hands are still a little small, he might find it easier learning on a Gibson scale rather than a Fender scale neck. Of course, maybe he has good finger stretch from the piano.

Good advice getting him something he wants, within reason. Otherwise, he'll just start working you for another guitar.

Squier bullet.

Don't let the price fool ya, at only a bill, they're amazing guitars. The endless mod-ability of the stratocaster design makes sure that if he starts to grow out of it, all ya need is a new set of pickups, new bridge, hell, if he like maple boards, a new neck works.

Also the new squier classic vibe and vintage modified telecasters outclass the MIM fenders in every way. A+ guitars.

Depending what you're willing to spend, there's also gretsch electromatics, which fore the price are the best deal in hollowbodies, though the bigsby and feedback susceptibility may be a problem for a beginner.

Since he's into hard rock, the epiphone vintage G-400 is an obvious choice. AC/DC, black sabbath, the who, lots of folks love the SG. It's a good player too.

However, what I'd say is, spend more on the amp than the guitar if you can.

But, with the crate V series deals, epiphone valve juniors, and other great deals in tube amps, you do have more guitar-room than before.

The V18 is great for a lot of different brit tones, even though it has little clean headroom and some bad reverb, it can nail AC/DC, hendrix, and the who pretty well if you give it some time. Plus it's only like 150 bucks. I got mine for $119 shipped.

Also, for you own sanity, get him a knock-around lammy dreadnought. Yamaha makes great ones. Shop around and PLAY before you buy it for him. Not only will it give him something to do later at night at lower volumes(more for you than him), but it also expands his own horizons quite well.

Guest alanhindle

Your son's dedication does certainly warrant a treat from Dad.

The earlier suggestion of an Epi SG is a sound one.

I think you have to strike a balance between what a 13 year old would want and what an old fart like most of us would want. The majority here like the classic shapes, finishes and models. If he wants something a bit less like this, the way to talk him round is to say that these classics always stay in fashion and, as someone said earlier, look at what all the young upcoming bands use.

A good compromise would be either the SG in black or a LP studio in black, alhough I suspect he would prefer the meaner looking SG with its devilish horns rather than an LP like old Dad's. He may also like the look of a black Epi Korina Explorer or Flying V too. However, I think these look nicer in the natural finish. The Epi firebird faded is also nice looking if he can stray from black.

My first two guitars were both black. At 16 I had an Encore model that looked a bit like a LP studio double cutaway and then at 18, when I left home to go to University, I bought the Yamaha SE350 that I still have now.

Incidentally, do a search for youtube reviews of the Epi SG. There are quite a few by youngsters who've just got them that day. It does make you smile a bit. I love their enthusiasm. The guitar bug will never leave them.

By the way, tell us what options the young man himself is thinking about.

Alan

A low end Strat is a good idea as well as an Epi LP Studio. My first electric guitar was a Harmony dual pickup guitar with a semi-Strat style body. The pickups were so microphonic that you could actually sing into them and get sound out of the amp! This was in the days where you could buy a guitar from a mom and pop shop and pay it off monthly without a finance contract. I went through the Harmony guitar, a Hagstrom, and finally got a Mosrite cherry red Ventures model. I played it for several years, traded it on a Gibson SG (great guitar) and finally a USA Strat which I still have. The only one of those that I wish I still had is the Gibson SG. It was an Angus Young sounding axe that had a wide fingerboard (good for stubby fingers) with a bridge pickup GROWL and a Carlos Santana creamy bridge pickup sound. I can still hear that one in my head...

The point being that he will end up trading around until one guitar sticks, so the Epi low end and the Squires are good choices for a first guitar.

Archived