Gibson Brands Forums

what is a good way to prolong string life,cleaner etc?

sixstring19682

Was reading a really good post about how often you change strings and was sort of interested to see what sort of preventative maintenance some of you folks use to prolong the life of your strings,I use a lot of finger ease and fast fret both claim to be good for your fret board as well.

I have always used 9 gage player and though this might matter quite as much if you don't clean the string which applies to every gage in the long run rust sets in pardon the pun but it never sleeps.

I've always like the fast fret ist less of a mess and has done fine by me but I'd lile to here from some of you gals and guys to see what you use.

I agree with Skeptikal, just make sure you give your strings a wipe down with a cloth after a practice session or gig, that's the best thing you can do to prolong the strings. Don't do as I did though, and use a yellow duster, bloody lint gets stuck everywhere!

As you say though, time and rust wait for no man, so they'll degrade at some point anyway....

I've never bothered with any treatments so I couldn't comment on whether they do much. Coated strings do seem a good idea, but again, I've never tried them. :)

I wipe them down when I'm done playing. By the end of the month they are losing their intonation on the higher frets so they will need changing anyway.

After a few weeks of playing, the frets actually wear little grooves in the strings themselves. No amount of preservative can stop that from happening. As these little grooves get bigger, the higher notes get lower and lower in pitch.

I don't use finger-ease or coated strings because I like the feel of the "naked" strings under my fingers.

I do oil the fretboard every few months with a light application of a high quality furniture oil with lemon oil. Petroleum distillates and lemon oil.

Insights and incites by Notes

I'll usually spray on some FingerEze before I play and then wipe down the neck and strings with a soft cloth after playing. One thing that I find works well is to occasionally pour a bit of rubbing alcohol onto a soft cloth and thoroughly wipe down each string. It's also handy for cleaning the rest of the guitar as well. :-s

I use Fast Fret and I have these large optical cloths (12"x12") that are used for glasses, cameras, and telescope lenses I use to wipe down the board and the entire guitar. They are nice because they do no leave those fuzz balls all over the string. The rag that comes with Fast Fret leaves yellow fuzz all over the strings.

from stocking stuffer ideas thread:

http://www.wdmusic.com/big_bends_accessories.html

WD just added those .. big bends products.. string wipers, nut sauce, etc..

buy any item over ten bucks at listed prices.. and I'll include any item under ten bucks at half price. (9.99 is close enough)

buy any item over twenty bucks at listed price, and I'll include any item under eight bucks, free.

merry happy.

(notice how slickly I got around all the religous argument!)

offer good until the first of the year only.

TWANG

I naturally go with string life being over rated. But here is something I remember from Guitar Player Magazine about 1973. Boil your strings in a tea spoon of Ajax or some other cleaner for a few minutes. I used Comet. And it did work. And back then I used to change strings about once a month and could barely tune my guitars. But again, string life is over rated. And I forgot to say that the strings on my F****r strat have NEVER been changed. I also haven`t played it since 2001.

Archived