Gibson Brands Forums

Eminence 8" available aftermarket?

vomer

Does anyone know if the Eminence 8" as fitted in the V3 Valve Jr. is available aftermarket? In the UK preferably. And will it swap straight into a V2 combo? Is it worth doing? Thanks.

I think the Eminence on the Ver3 is 16ohm so, unless you have changed your output transformer, you will not be able to use one as you will not have a 16ohm output. From what I can gather the Celestion seems to be the speaker most go for or the Weber 8" is highly regarded. I think both are available from Watford Valves (or ebay!). Think about it first though as many people think the stock 8" Weber clone is a nice speaker as it comes. I personally have kept the original speaker but I have built myself a 12" cab using an Eminence Redcoat Guvnor for when I need it.

Hope that helps,

Ian.

Thanks guys. Yes, I've got 16 ohm out, mine is modded by Alnicomagnet. And very nice it is too, generally, but I do sometimes run it through my combo Peavey's 12" for a noticeable improvement. I know the size makes a difference but wonder if a better 8" would be worthwhile. Searching here it seems that some folk think it's not worth doing, especially as I see the price of, say, Celestion Alnico Blues. Probably a question I can only answer by trying it out.

Archived