Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Just Strum

The Dot vs The Sheraton

This is not intended to start a battle of any kind, but I have issue with the Sheraton love fest and all I'm looking for is a better understanding of its popularity.

In the simplest way of stating it: Isn't a Sheraton nothing more than a Dot with added bling? In our on going conversations where we discuss the worth of a guitar by the increase in dollar value from the similar model (Sheraton vs ES335 thing), what does the Sheraton offer that makes it better than the Dot and worthy of the extra dollars?

Before I bought my Sherry, I also tried out a Dot, and a Dot Deluxe.........

The Sheraton was noticibly heavier, and the balance seemed to be better.

The neck on the Sheraton had a slightly different feel from either Dot, the feeling reminded me of my GLP.

Oddly, I preferred the standard Dots tone over the tone from the Deluxe, but I liked the Sheratons

tone even better yet.

And yeah.......the "bling bling" caught my eye too.

Besides the " bling" the biggest difference I have noticed is the neck. I like the older chunker '50's neck so I chose the Dot. As for tone i didn't really hear a big difference. However the Sheraton Elitist is a whole different animal and is probably one of the best guitars I have ever played, hands down.

Well the sherry is one of the only Epis with a one (three) piece neck, no scarf. But the differance is like the differance between a Les Paul Studio and a Standard. I'd rather have a Standard. Stan.

I found the Dot to be a very close representation of the orginal ES335 Dot. I actually bought an Ebony Sheraton that was absolutely gorgeous, but it weighed a ton. I then saw a really good deal on a Natural Sheraton and it just felt so much nicer than the Ebony. So I sold it. I was actually looking for a Elitist Dot, because they were said to be better than the 335. But when I tried the Sheraton it just felt better, and I think the Elitist was about 1200 Can. compared to the 600 for the Sherri. Last year a friend had some health issues and I purchased his 1990 ES 335 in Ebony and it is an amazing guitar.

I was very close to buying a Dot Deluxe that had the gold hardware. Speaking of Gold hardware that is another issue with the Sheraton. The gold comes off the pickups very easily, and that can be an issue for some people.

What ever you do don't use metal polish on it. It will take the Goldtone right off.

As far as construction of the Dot vs the Sheraton. The

bodies are basically the same. The pickups and the construction are the same. The neck is totally differenct being a 3 pices maple compare to the Dot's mahogany. Also the Triple biding on the body and the headstock, and the treatment on the F hole cutouts on the Sheraton.

Be aware tha there was a special edition put out by Music 123 ( if my memory serves me) with the full inlays. It was quite a sweet looking Dot.

So there are some major differences and for me the extra 200 is worth it.

I have both and I agree with everything said. The neck on my Sherry has a slim profile and the neck on my Dot is chunkier. I love playing both. The Sherry is definitely heavier, and it has much more bling, which I also like.

A little off subject, but something to do with a Sherry and Dot - a hardshall case.

I have an Epi E519 Case that both guitars are sharing. I've been looking for another case for a while. After reading the review of the Riviera P-93 and the new Gator case, I thought I would try one out. I went to the store and tried out a Sherry in a Gator case, no can do. After I got home I measured both guitars. The overall length of my Dot is 42" and my Sherry is 43". One inch makes a big difference in getting it in a case. So, a Sherry is only gonna fit an Epi case, but a Dot will fit other 335 types, at least with my minimal experience. The inside length of the Gator cases is 42 1/2".

The last few Epi cases I tried out stunk really bad, so I think I'll go with a Gator case for my Dot.

based on what I am reading here, I think for my taste and talent level is best placed with the Dot. I've liked mine since day one and as I have often stated, it's my least expensive guitar, but still remains my favorite. I think, for me it is better to upgrade a Dot rather than spend money on a blinged guitar. I don't care for gold hardware, so that wouldn't be an attraction. I'm not big on fancy inlay, so that wouldn't be an attraction.

I am but a simple man, with simple tastes.

I like Dots...I just (personally) wish they had bound fretboards, like 335's do. Yeah, I know...the original 335 DIDN'T have

the binding on the fretboard, but I just think the Dot would look a lot nicer, with just that addition. But, as always...just

my personal opinion. I've even thought about getting one, and having that done. LOL!

CB

Does it really matter? If the axe doesn't speak to you personally why buy it. I know that this is a more esoteric view of an instrument, but in my experience if the guitar doesn't speak to you when you pick it up, it's a canoe paddle. This holds true for any instrument. Talk to any performer... they have multiple instruments, but there are a few favorites. It's like a baseball player and his bat, or a tennis player and their favorite racket. It has to feel right in your hands. Even a cheap guitar in the right hands is a gem, that's why I own several guitars. My favorite is my Ebony Sheri. She spoke to me that day in the music store, and we've had a love affair ever since. My new Strat is jealous, but she'll adapt to the family...

Does it really matter? If the axe doesn't speak to you personally why buy it. I know that this is a more esoteric view of an instrument' date=' but in my experience if the guitar doesn't speak to you when you pick it up, it's a canoe paddle. This holds true for any instrument. Talk to any performer... they have multiple instruments, but there are a few favorites. It's like a baseball player and his bat, or a tennis player and their favorite racket. It has to feel right in your hands. Even a cheap guitar in the right hands is a gem, that's why I own several guitars. My favorite is my Ebony Sheri. She spoke to me that day in the music store, and we've had a love affair ever since. My new Strat is jealous, but she'll adapt to the family... [/quote']

Can't (and wouldn't) argue that point. I feel the same way. But, if I found a "Dot" I loved, I'd (probably) still

have the fretboard "bound," just because that's what I prefer...and liked the feel of, on that type of guitar...

you know?

CB

the larger headstock.. and mine is five piece neck, not three.

and the neck is much slimmer than any dot I've ever seen, gibbo or not.

I'll go along with the heavy comments.. but I like that, too so...

I'm not sure, but I think when I bought mine the woods on the dot were different.. oh yeah.. mahogany neck isn't it?

mine's mostly maple with two strips of what I remember as walnut.

anyway, a non mahogany neck attracted me. why? because I've played so many dots with mahog. necks and it seems the slightest moving around that put pressure on it would move it out of tune.. this is far less pronounced on my sheri. you have to almost twist this thing to do that.

I'm not a bling guy otherwise, but I have absolutely no objection to paying for what they did to the sheri.

TWANG

When you guys say "slimmer" neck' date=' are you referring to the back of the neck or the neck shape?[/quote']

Yeah, the thickness from the fretboard to the back of the neck, not from E string to E string. However, the neck on my Sherry is a little wider from E to E than my Dot. Personally, I like the feel of the neck on my Sherry over my Dot. But I won't get rid of either.

yep. mine is not as thick front to back.. less round. more flat.

I can really feel the difference between it and the epi lp.

though I've gotten used to the lp, too.

TWANG

a non mahogany neck attracted me. why? because I've played so many dots with mahog. necks and it seems the slightest moving around that put pressure on it would move it out of tune.. this is far less pronounced on my sheri. you have to almost twist this thing to do that.

I'm not a bling guy otherwise' date=' but I have absolutely no objection to paying for what they did to the sheri.

TWANG

[/quote']The Sheri necks are an order of magnitude stronger than the Dots. The Dots are way too flexible as you pointed out.

I have both and play both frequently. Like said before, the dot has a thicker neck than the sheri's supposed thin neck. As far as weight, I can't say I can tell between one or the other, they seem the same. I'm not one of those guys that weighs all of my guitars though.

The sheri has a more resonant sound... hard to explain but one word i'd use is "antique" maybe. Atleast more so than the dot.

I have yet to measure them, but they are definitely differently shaped. My dot has a hard time fitting in the guitar case that my sheri came in, where as the sheri fits fine.

I like the "plant" or "flower" inlay on the sheri's, but I also like the dots head because the corners aren't cut off.

I have been bitten by the semi bug since buying my Elitist Sherry, the only thing putting me off the dot is the lack of neck binding.

I have both and I agree with everything said. The neck on my Sherry has a slim profile and the neck on my Dot is chunkier. I love playing both. The Sherry is definitely heavier' date=' and it has much more bling, which I also like.

A little off subject, but something to do with a Sherry and Dot - a hardshall case.

I have an Epi E519 Case that both guitars are sharing. I've been looking for another case for a while. After reading the review of the Riviera P-93 and the new Gator case, I thought I would try one out. I went to the store and tried out a Sherry in a Gator case, no can do. After I got home I measured both guitars. The overall length of my Dot is 42" and my Sherry is 43". One inch makes a big difference in getting it in a case. So, a Sherry is only gonna fit an Epi case, but a Dot will fit other 335 types, at least with my minimal experience. The inside length of the Gator cases is 42 1/2".

The last few Epi cases I tried out stunk really bad, so I think I'll go with a Gator case for my Dot.[/quote']

You might want to try the case I went with, the SKB semi-hollow. It fits the Sheraton just fine (they even show one in it in the ad).

sku_view_image.php?id=192&role=image_alt_1

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?id=192&c=82&o=&s=75#

...the only thing putting me off the dot is the lack of neck binding.

What is it with this neck binding? I never paid attention to it until this thread started. Who was the idiot that started this thread anyway? Uhh, never mind.