Gibson Brands Forums

Fake Epiphone?

Magnus125

What kind of profit is a guy going to make on a fake Epi? Fitty Cents???? LOL

He's making more than 50 cents or he wouldn't bother doing it.

That's why they copy Epiphones...no-one in their right mind is going to lay down three grand on a Gibson Les Paul Custom without checking it out first. But $700 for the Epi version of the same guitar...well that's a different story. Also, because Epiphones are competitively priced, they also appeal to newer guitarists who may not have the experience to tell the difference between a fake and the real thing just by looking at a photograph. They take the "real brand new Epiphone shipped directly from China to your door" schtick at face value.

Profit...well, can you imagine how much these knock offs cost to make? Admittedly, they are starting to look more and more like the real thing, judging from the ones we see on this forum from time to time. Even so, I wonder if you sawed one in half, what would you see? Plywood? Blockboard? Chipboard? Cheap pine? All with a veneer on top. Cheap electronics, phony grovers. But my worry is where the labour comes from. Two people are being seriously exploited here...the guy who made it, and the guy who bought it....

By the way. Catlin's Les Paul headstock looks fine to me...

Archived