Gibson Brands Forums

My E fell off my Epiphone Dot!

mfarre03

I don't know what this company is thinking putting those e's on the pickguard that won't stay on.

When I first got a brand new Dot I had heard about these falling off and to see how secure they were I put my thumb and forefinger on it and with no pressure it came off right in my hand.

I laughed at how easily it came off but it really makes their product look cheap.

I left it off.

Yeah, a LOT of people leave it off, once it falls off...or even take it off, right after they pay for it. LOL!

IF, however, you are one who likes the look, you can put it back on, using contact cement, or 3M Super 77

spray cement. Probably a lot of other types of glue, that will work as well, but those are two I have used.

CB

This discussion is almost as lame as the Epi vs Gibby topic. Has anybody ever considered that the pickguard sticker is not meant to be permanent in the first place???!!! Even the dozen or so other stickers on the damn guitars don't fall off. OK, I've said my peace - I feel better.

Has anybody ever considered that the pickguard sticker is not meant to be permanent in the first place???!!!

Rubbish. If it was something that was meant to be taken off (like the protective film on the scratchguard for example) I doubt they'd make it look the way it does. And it's hardly a sticker... it's an actual badge, tacky or not depending on your opinion. (My own is that it IS tacky, but that's only my opinion). For what it's worth, my badge fell off my 1997 Sheri only one month ago, but I left it off and polished up the pickguard, and I think it looks better. I might add that I haven't owned my guitar since 1997, I bought a used one!

The glue that holds it on is simply not up to the job. And whether or not YOU decide a topic is "lame" is niether here nor there. The original poster asked a question, if you don't want to see such a topic being discussed, don't click on the link.

@ mfarre03: Whether you want to glue it back on is up to you, what do YOU think looks best? That's the kicker. If you decide to stick it back on, I'd suggest a little touch of superglue. Not too much, you don't want loads of leaking hardened glue around the badge!

Gently (GENTLY!) prise off any excess with something firm, but not too hard.....like, say, a firm guitar pick.

I then polished the whole pick guard with a soft duster dipped in a little water, then dipped into some cigarette ash. Ash is a mild abrasive so it will remove tiny bits of glue and will also remove scratches. Finally, buff up the guard with a soft dry duster.

I can't take credit for this, I asked the same question here last month and it does work!

Very easy to fix . 1st clean the back of the "e" GENTLY with methylated spirits

. 2nd get some 1 inch wide (thin) double-sided Sellotape and cut 2 strips

about 1 1/2 inches long and stick them side by side on the back the "e" , leaving the protective paper on the outside of the tape .

. 3rd use a modelling knife or small sharpe scissors , carefully cut around the outline of the "e" .

. Finally peel off backing paper and apply to pickguard .

Have fun - Axegrinder

This discussion is almost as lame as the Epi vs Gibby topic. Has anybody ever considered that the pickguard sticker is not meant to be permanent in the first place???!!! Even the dozen or so other stickers on the damn guitars don't fall off. OK' date=' I've said my peace - I feel better.[/quote']

This is the reason people don't bother with forums! If it wasn't meant to be perm. then they would have included it in a baggy, not glued onto the pick guard.

Gently (GENTLY!) prise off any excess with something firm' date=' but not too hard.....like, say, a firm guitar pick.

I then polished the whole pick guard with a soft duster dipped in a little water, then dipped into some cigarette ash. Ash is a mild abrasive so it will remove tiny bits of glue and will also remove scratches. Finally, buff up the guard with a soft dry duster.

I can't take credit for this, I asked the same question here last month and it does work! [/quote']

Thanks, gives me an excuse to go out and get a nice Partagas or CAO cigar and have a smoke, lol

Archived