Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP bridge? buzz (rattle)

old1

Hi All,

I have an Epi LP studio which according to the ser # was made in 2000 at Usung in Korea. I've had it for about a year and really like it except for one annoying problem, the G, B and high E strings buzz (rattle) unless played very softly. Uplugged, fretted, open stings, same thing. I've tightened all hardware, tried various neck relief and bridge height adjustments but still the same. It's been like this since I got it.

At this point I suspect the bridge which is the type with a wire accross the intonation adjust screws.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem and if replacing the bridge assembly solved it.

Any tips to help me nail this down would also be appreciated.

Regards

Old1

Epi bridges often rattle. It's the nature of the beast. I once had a Firebird with a bridge that sounded like the exhaust on a knackered Cortina.

Some people here will suggest that you can do creative things with clear nail varnish or superglue. Alternatively you might want to consider more radical surgery:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Gotoh_510_Bridge_and_Tailpiece.html

Sounds like your problem is more fret buzz however. Could be a raised fret, but it's more likely that your guitar just needs a decent set-up.

I would also look at frett buzz. A buzz or rattle at the bridge suggests that somthing is loose. There is a lot of tension on the bridge so the bridge pieces shouldn't be bouncing around. I just took a look at my Ultra. There is a spring that is used to keep the screws in place when you remove the strings. You could try removing it and see if the noise disappears. You didn't accidently buy a Sitar? Just kidding.

Thanks all, for your input and bridge recommendations.

Last night I raised the bridge to an almost unplayable height but still have the same buzz (rattle) on the high strings whether open or fretted all the way up the neck. So I think that just about eliminates fret buzz or a high fret.

Could be a sitar, certainly sounds like one on the high strings but somehow I don't think Smoke on the Water or Whole lotta Love would sound as good as it does on the low strings if it is a sitar :-k

There's an affordable replacement bridge on the GFS site that I could try. But it might not be any better than what I have.

I paid less than $100 for the guitar so it hurts to invest more than that for a stew-mac bridge. On the other hand if it solves the problem I may have a guitar I'll be happy with for some time.

the G' date=' B and high E strings buzz (rattle) unless played very softly. Uplugged, fretted, open stings, same thing. I've tightened all hardware, tried various neck relief and bridge height adjustments but still the same.

[/quote']

So does the rattle disappear if you strike a chord and mute the strings behind the bridge? If so you could increase the angle after the bridge by screwing the tailpiece down to the body and/or remove the retainer wire of the bridge.

Thanks Ricochet,

Tried that but it's still the same. Perhaps the saddle grooves are sloppy. Lets face it there's a lot of tension on the bridge so it's hard to understand how anything under that much pressure could buzz (rattle) but I'm running out of alternatives.

Thanks Ricochet' date='

Tried that but it's still the same. Perhaps the saddle grooves are sloppy. Lets face it there's a lot of tension on the bridge so it's hard to understand how anything under that much pressure could buzz (rattle) but I'm running out of alternatives.[/quote']

The plastig tape on pick ups of my SG-400 caused some noise. Let strings play and touch every single component on your guitar.

It could also be that inside components are loose somehow. In that case play string and rapidly move guitar ( shake ).

I just bought an used Epiphone Wylde Bullseye with the same bridge you describe. I also have the exact same problem you described... I now have the saddles apart and am trying to see if the screws are different in any way....the threads on 2 look longer then the other 4 so i'll re position them as best i can. I also noticed the retainer bar pops out of the groove when im adjusting the intonation too...... also im using 10 - 46's

most likely if you pluck the string hard and watch the saddle intonation adjuster screws, you'll see them rattling in the u groove that they rest in. the problem lies in that when the strings vibrate they will ultimately "slack" the screws to a neutral resting position by vibrating the screw loose slightly as you play. when the screw is no longer under tension it rattles while the saddle is still being held firmly to the bridge by string tension....phew...

here's my fix and it worked great......

I took a spring from an old humbucker mounting ring assembly....the long skinny one.....then i used string snips to cut it to about 3 - 4 coils in length (1/4" long uncompressed).......make 6 of the 3-4 coil lengths and insert them over the threads of the adjuster screw while the saddle is removed. Then screw on the saddle piece OVER the spring and tighten it snugly...do this for all six adjusters and restring and set the intonation....... now the saddle is under tension from the strings AND the adjuster screw is under constant tension from the saddle through the spring.

mine have remained silent ever since....and i still have the 100 bucks (4 a tone pro bridge) in my pocket. =)

good luck

edit: also click ball point pen springs work well for this.

Thanks WyldeEye,

I think I'll try that since my screws seem loose8-[

I'm just not clear on where the spring ends up. Between the screw head and bridge body. Or on the screw between the bridge body and the saddle?

You know, I cannot understand why Gibson doesn't raise the price of their Epiphone products $15 or $20 and put better hardware on them. The OEM TOM bridges on Ibanez guitars are way better and have about 1/8" more travel and cost about $20.

I had the same POS bridge on my Dot Studio and got rid of it altogether but it wasn't easy because Epi uses some dumb-*** post hole spread dimension. You might have better luck with a Les Paul.

Gibson and Ibanez have: 2.910". Standard spread for Gotoh bridges available at Stewmac.

Dot Studios have: 2.886"

Sheraton II's have: 2.830"

I had a bad bridge on my G-400 Custom.

I ended up getting a Gotoh for $22 that was a direct fit (used Epi bushings, just tapped it on slightly)

The Epiphone bridge that came on the guitar had saddles that would slip out of place while playing, causing the intonation to go faulty. They were very loose and nothing seemed to help.

The Gotoh is a tight unit with well built parts and the intonation spacing is longer to allow better final results.

The (old) Epiphone bridge just follows the old Gibson style from years ago.

On a positive note, since the advent of the 'Loc-Tone' the bridge is actually Much better than the old 'standard' issue.

You may still have to turn a saddle around here and there, but they don't rattle and I haven't replaced either one on either the Firebird or the LP.

Archived