Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on Hammond 125DSE O/T mod for VJr 3

bugjr

I recently bought a heavily modded Valve Junior head from a well-known guy on eBay UK. Mods include the three-stage gain switch and three voicing switch and a neat mod that gives you the option of the EL84 output valve or an octal valve (6L6GC). In short this is a great amp!

I find myself using the 6L6 valve a lot as it has a little more clean headroom. I tend to use my pedals for drive tones so am looking for a pretty clean platform to start with (my main drive pedal is a Damage Control Demonizer):-k/ .

I believe the Hammond 125DSE gives a little more headroom than the stock transformer but before ordering the part I am keen to find out opinions from anyone who's done this mod. Is it a wortwhile mod? How else is the amp's tone coloured? Also, is it pretty easy to install for someone with basic experience of amp tinkering?

I'm strictly a bedroom player so am not in the search for buckets of volume.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or opinions!

The Hammond 125ESE would be a better choice. In my opinion. The Heyboer would be a better choice also. Carried by Watts Tube Audio. Easy to install if you have experience in electronics and can follow instructions. I use one of those two in most of the mods I do unless someone asks for something different. The Version 3 VJr has a better tranny than 1 and 2 but still leaves room for improvement.

The Hammond 125ESE would be a better choice. In my opinion. The Heyboer would be a better choice also. Carried by Watts Tube Audio. Easy to install if you have experience in electronics and can follow instructions. I use one of those two in most of the mods I do unless someone asks for something different. The Version 3 VJr has a better tranny than 1 and 2 but still leaves room for improvement.
one of my projects. It seems to work fine. I normally use the 125CSE and am always satisfied with it. The 125 ESE is pretty lunky, and I was wondering how the 125DSE would work. What is the difference between the 125 ESE and the 125 DSE?

Thanks for the reply mcrracer. I mentioned the 125DSE as that seems to be the transformer of choice for the UK guy who does the mods. I've read back through some posts here and on the sewatt.com site and it seems the 125ESE is just as popular. I think it's agreed that the upgrade in transformer is a good one for clarity of tone and some increased headroom. I think the ESE might offer more scope for bottom-end tones?

Archived